How To: Set up & host your own Puush server [Linux]

Jade

Edit May 2017: Puush has since moved to ShareX for their client. If you need a serversided application to host your own, check out UploadX.

Tagging @colonel_mortis - OP delivered. Can't do this on shared hosting without a flexible host, but if you're serious about a project, might as well host it yourself. ;)

Note: I'll be writing a tutorial for this on more distros (specifically Debian and Cent) and for Windows soon. I meant to write this a while back, but before I could finish it, I had issues with my computer and didn't have a chance to reboot. RIP.

Ubuntu 12.04

Spoiler

(probably safe to assume it will be the same, or similar, on newer versions.) 

Assuming starting with a clean installation, not required.

Installing required softwares; node.js, NPM (nodejs package manager, think nodejs apt-get), nodejs utilities, and mongoDB

The following commands installs and sets up all the node.js related resources.

cd ~/apt-get install git-coregit clone https://github.com/joyent/node.gitcd nodegit checkout v0.11.13-release./configuremake -j[insert the number of cores you have here, eg 2 for 2 cores.]sudo make installcd ~/ npm install --global formidablenpm install --global mimenpm install --global mongoose

!Important: If you get an error about not having a compiler and/or openssl:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev curl git-core openssl

Time to install MongoDB

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv 7F0CEB10echo 'deb http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/ubuntu-upstart dist 10gen' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.listsudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install -y mongodb-orgsudo service mongod stopsudo service mongod start

We're now setting up the actual 'program' that will host the puush server. Should be done under a user that isn't root for security's sake.

cd ~/mkdir puush (you can actually choose the name if you want)cd puushwget https://github.com/mave/puushproxy/zipball/masterunzip masterrm mazermv -f mave*/* ./rm -r mave*nano app.js

Now we have to set up the config. What we're looking to change is the lines below "//Configuration". You can change these to your liking or individual setup. For example, if I used the domain "linusuploads.com", I would have a config that looks something like this. You'll want to set "registerEnabled" to true, so you can register for yourself. The port is also avoidable if you have your site on a webserver already, which I'd assume you do.

A1nO.png

An example of a working one (taken from my own live server; salt changed, of course):

nWe7.png

Now, to launch the server,

screen node app.js

Hopefully it should now show a black box with a blinking cursor. You can detach from the screen by pressing Ctrl+A+D, if you need to. All is well, and in theory, your server should be working.

Registration (applicable for all installations.)

Spoiler

Browse to [iP]:[PortDefinedInAppjs]/register - eg: 127.0.0.1:9123/register

Register with your desired credentials. These will be used in the client.

Follow client setup below, then log into Puush application with credentials you just registered.

Client setup:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Close Puush. Also making a backup of puush.ini may be a good idea.

Open %appdata%\puush\puush.ini with your favorite text editor. Add these two lines (or edit, if you have them already.)

example:

V8be.png

After that is done, re-open Puush and login to your server. Take a screenshot, and it should work. Yaaaaaay.

Edit: Glad to help if anyone needs it, and if you'd rather use the one I host (i.pb-mc.net), PM me.

ProxyServer = ipProxyPort = server

Woah, dude...I did not know that was possible!

Is there a way to disable the 30dayNoView = Delete policy?

Great guide :) (Might try that with my nas)

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Woah, dude...I did not know that was possible!

Is there a way to disable the 30dayNoView = Delete policy?

Great guide :) (Might try that with my nas)

This doesn't have that built in. It won't delete unless you delete it on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Tagging @colonel_mortis - OP delivered. Can't do this on shared hosting without a flexible host, but if you're serious about a project, might as well host it yourself. ;)

Note: I'll be writing a tutorial for this on more distros (specifically Debian and Cent) and for Windows soon. I meant to write this a while back, but before I could finish it, I had issues with my computer and didn't have a chance to reboot. RIP.

Ubuntu 12.04

(probably safe to assume it will be the same, or similar, on newer versions.) 

Assuming starting with a clean installation, not required.

Installing required softwares; node.js, NPM (nodejs package manager, think nodejs apt-get), nodejs utilities, and mongoDB

The following commands installs and sets up all the node.js related resources.

cd ~/apt-get install git-coregit clone https://github.com/joyent/node.gitcd nodegit checkout v0.11.13-release./configuremake -j[insert the number of cores you have here, eg 2 for 2 cores.]sudo make installcd ~/ npm install --global formidablenpm install --global mimenpm install --global mongoose

!Important: If you get an error about not having a compiler and/or openssl:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev curl git-core openssl

Time to install MongoDB

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv 7F0CEB10echo 'deb http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/ubuntu-upstart dist 10gen' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb.listsudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install -y mongodb-orgsudo service mongod stopsudo service mongod start

We're now setting up the actual 'program' that will host the puush server. Should be done under a user that isn't root for security's sake.

cd ~/mkdir puush (you can actually choose the name if you want)cd puushwget https://github.com/mave/puushproxy/zipball/masterunzip masterrm mazermv -f mave*/* ./rm -r mave*nano app.js

Now we have to set up the config. What we're looking to change is the lines below "//Configuration". You can change these to your liking or individual setup. For example, if I used the domain "linusuploads.com", I would have a config that looks something like this. You'll want to set "registerEnabled" to true, so you can register for yourself. The port is also avoidable if you have your site on a webserver already, which I'd assume you do.

A1nO.png

An example of a working one (taken from my own live server; salt changed, of course):

nWe7.png

Now, to launch the server,

screen node app.js

Hopefully it should now show a black box with a blinking cursor. You can detach from the screen by pressing Ctrl+A+D, if you need to. All is well, and in theory, your server should be working.

Registration (applicable for all installations.)

Browse to [iP]:[PortDefinedInAppjs]/register - eg: 127.0.0.1:9123/register

Register with your desired credentials. These will be used in the client.

Follow client setup below, then log into Puush application with credentials you just registered.

Client setup:

Close Puush. Also making a backup of puush.ini may be a good idea.

Open %appdata%\puush\puush.ini with your favorite text editor. Add these two lines (or edit, if you have them already.)

example:

V8be.png

After that is done, re-open Puush and login to your server. Take a screenshot, and it should work. Yaaaaaay.

Edit: Glad to help if anyone needs it, and if you'd rather use the one I host (i.pb-mc.net), PM me.

I'm a noob where do you recommend for me to start I mean what language to learn what to use....

ProxyServer = ipProxyPort = server

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650