Upcoming Fast As Possible Topic - Mouse DPI

Sounds great! Is a higher DPi with a lower sensitivity better than a lower DPi with a higher sensitivity? The usage case would be FPS games. Is there a difference? Could this be answered in the upcoming video please? @nicklmg

This is impossible to answer for FPS games as a whole, because the method by which a game alters sensitivity via the in-game setting changes on a game-by-game basis. I'm fairly sure raising in-game sensitivity is generally undesirable (due to the methods used to raise sensitivity on a software level), so if the default in-game sensitivity is too low, it'd be preferable to raise the DPI instead, but as to whether it's better to leave in-game sensitivity at default and adjust the DPI to that, or lower the in-game sensitivity and raise the DPI to compensate isn't answerable on the basis of genre.

Give a example. A mouse with 1000 dpi on a 24" screen will take 1 foot. (Idk the exact measurements this is just a example so you can find out Linus)

Don't most (all?) laser mice have imperfect sensors (hardware acceleration), therefore making them less accurate than an optical mouse?

edit: oh :P you were asking questions

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

We needed this badly. My friends are arguing that  "My mouse is WAY better than yours because it can have 8200 DPI!" I use 2000 DPI all the time. Seriously.

Don't most (all?) laser mice have imperfect sensors (hardware acceleration), therefore making them less accurate than an optical mouse?

maybe i should have left out the "mouse" there

wasn't even thinking about acceleration problems with laser mouses, but that is something i don't even notice with daily use

after getting my first laser mouse i even had to google what acceleration problem with mice is :D

and even after finding out what it is, i still couldn't notice it, even tho the reviews and complaints about this mouse model (g600) were, that it has noticeable acceleration, i still can't see it, maybe i got used to it so much i don't notice it

but you're right, that is a problem with laser mice

tho, i don't understand why, it's frickin LASER!

Whether you believe it or not, it's true. Maybe lasers should be capable of being better than optical, but for the past few years (if not longer), optical has been consistently superior in terms of accuracy. Now with optical mice reaching 8k - 12k DPI, laser mice don't even have that, even though most people probably shouldn't be using DPI that high. It's well established that any laser mouse on the market will have innate tracking flaws, while certain optical sensors are capable of tracking "flawlessly".

Going lower would be better for you, accuracy-wise. The more you raise your sensitivity (DPI included), the smaller the area where you can put your mouse and still be covering your target. In the most extreme terms, if you're trying to hit one specific pixel at 1 DPI, you can move your mouse anywhere within a square inch and still hit that pixel, but at 5000 DPI you now have 25,000 pixels packed into a square inch of mouse movement and you need to put your mouse over the exact 1/5000th of an inch both horizontally and vertically to hit your target.

Basically, the lower your DPI the easier it is to hit whatever you're aiming for. That's objectively true unless you possess literally perfect hand-eye coordination, which I'm fairly sure no human does.

never underestimate what the brain can do

even at such CPI i still can use it accurately enough for daily use, if there really is something of a size of a pixel, CPI shift FTW, but that is extremely rarely, can't even remember the last time i used that

but for example, when writing stuff and trying to correct something in the middle of the word, even if it's something between "iljt" i can still point it between the letter i want, i won't be lightning fast and get it there from across the monitor in the first try, but with such CPI i can get there faster and then move my hand slow enough to find the spot

and

i noticed that with the way i grip the mouse, my bottom of the palm is resting on the table and with such CPI, i don't even have to lift my palm or change my grip to reach every corner of my monitor

pretty comfortable that way

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

never underestimate what the brain can do

even at such CPI i still can use it accurately enough for daily use, if there really is something of a size of a pixel, CPI shift FTW, but that is extremely rarely, can't even remember the last time i used that

but for example, when writing stuff and trying to correct something in the middle of the word, even if it's something between "iljt" i can still point it between the letter i want, i won't be lightning fast and get it there from across the monitor in the first try, but with such CPI i can get there faster and then move my hand slow enough to find the spot

and

i noticed that with the way i grip the mouse, my bottom of the palm is resting on the table and with such CPI, i don't even have to lift my palm or change my grip to reach every corner of my monitor

pretty comfortable that way

You're using a fingertip grip, or something close to it, which does require a higher sensitivity but again, not that high. I'm also curious what your windows pointer settings are at and whether you have EPP enabled.

That said, yeah, if the extent of your gaming-mouse usage isn't gaming, then maximizing accuracy is irrelevant to you because you have all the time in the world to correct inefficiencies. Acceleration, pixel skipping, z-axis bugs and malfunction speeds all become trivial, becuase you only need to achieve "useable" rather than "optimal". It's like buying a supercar to go the shops. It'll do the job, but the things people typically care about with supercars, like top speed and how fast it accelerates, won't mean a thing to you.

You're using a fingertip grip, or something close to it, which does require a higher sensitivity but again, not that high. I'm also curious what your windows pointer settings are at and whether you have EPP enabled.

That said, yeah, if the extent of your gaming-mouse usage isn't gaming, then maximizing accuracy is irrelevant to you because you have all the time in the world to correct inefficiencies. Acceleration, pixel skipping, z-axis bugs and malfunction speeds all become trivial, becuase you only need to achieve "useable" rather than "optimal". It's like buying a supercar to go the shops. It'll do the job, but the things people typically care about with supercars, like top speed and how fast it accelerates, won't mean a thing to you.

i have it enabled

and not exactly, even in fps games i use the same mouse, just 4k dpi and lower the sensitivity ing

as for MMORPG, it needs to be fast and accurate to target players and stuff like that + the buttons on the side help, so for me it's good enough, maybe something would be better, but haven't tried it all to judge one thing as best

+ ing there is nothing the size of a pixel, when sniping i could still use cpi shift, but i don't find it necessary to get the headshot

so i rather have it fast and rely on my accuracy, than having to move my arm to turn around which would slow me down, i find it comfortable and accurate enough to be an average player, tho as with anything, when you play it long enough you get above average, which i did, with 4k cpi

i have it enabled

and not exactly, even in fps games i use the same mouse, just 4k dpi and lower the sensitivity ing

as for MMORPG, it needs to be fast and accurate to target players and stuff like that + the buttons on the side help, so for me it's good enough, maybe something would be better, but haven't tried it all to judge one thing as best

+ ing there is nothing the size of a pixel, when sniping i could still use cpi shift, but i don't find it necessary to get the headshot

so i rather have it fast and rely on my accuracy, than having to move my arm to turn around which would slow me down, i find it comfortable and accurate enough to be an average player, tho as with anything, when you play it long enough you get above average, which i did, with 4k cpi

Okay, so despite its name, EPP doesn't help your precision at all. What it does is introduce a form of acceleration that makes your mouse move different distances depending on how fast you move your mouse. If you try turning it off for a moment (and apply changes), you'll notice your mouse become more responsive. That is 5k DPI at 1:1 movement (assuming pointer speed is 6/11). Having EPP enabled along with lowering sensitivity in-game means it's quite possible you're using something more equivalent to 3k DPI or less.

The point at which your pointer is no longer moving fast enough to target players in time, or that you have to move your arm to turn around would qualify as "too low". You want it just high enough that you avoid those kinds of problems, while remaining as low as possible. Again though, this goes back to my very first post about DPI just being part of a larger sensitivity set-up. If you're lowering other forms of sensivity, your "effective" DPI might be much, much lower than 5k.

wasn't even thinking about acceleration problems with laser mouses, but that is something i don't even notice with daily use

:P again, it's all about personal preference. Most purists complain about lasers because of acceleration, but if you don't feel that it degrades your experience in any way then that's awesome.

<post> 

also maybe we should touch on what a 4G optical sensor is. Or what the G relates to in games.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

:P again, it's all about personal preference. Most purists complain about lasers because of acceleration, but if you don't feel that it degrades your experience in any way then that's awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/bAshv5m.jpg

Okay, so despite its name, EPP doesn't help your precision at all. What it does is introduce a form of acceleration that makes your mouse move different distances depending on how fast you move your mouse. If you try turning it off for a moment (and apply changes), you'll notice your mouse become more responsive. That is 5k DPI at 1:1 movement (assuming pointer speed is 6/11). Having EPP enabled along with lowering sensitivity in-game means it's quite possible you're using something more equivalent to 3k DPI or less.

The point at which your pointer is no longer moving fast enough to target players in time, or that you have to move your arm to turn around would qualify as "too low". You want it just high enough that you avoid those kinds of problems, while remaining as low as possible. Again though, this goes back to my very first post about DPI just being part of a larger sensitivity set-up. If you're lowering other forms of sensivity, your "effective" DPI might be much, much lower than 5k.

turned it off

feels snappier, rather quite like it, don't overshoot the stuff i wanna click, i just slow down when getting near the stuff i wanna click

as for games, no difference at all and i doubt if lowering ing sensitivity to 0, that that would lower my mouse CPI, if anything, it would match it

turned it off

feels snappier, rather quite like it, don't overshoot the stuff i wanna click, i just slow down when getting near the stuff i wanna click

as for games, no difference at all and i doubt if lowering ing sensitivity to 0, that that would lower my mouse CPI, if anything, it would match it

I said "effective" CPI. CPI is just another form of sensitivity, so If default in-game sensitivity gives you 1:1 movement and you have 1000 CPI, halving your sensitivity in-game (as opposed to halving your in-game sensitivity) should pretty much be the same as using 500 CPI with default in-game sens.

You know you can do this right?

*snip*

Yeah, I prefer to link to images that large, so people don't have to see it every time they scroll through the thread.

Sorry, "purists complain about lasers" was a terrible way to word that. Objectively, optical is better than laser.

What I meant to say was, if someone has taken the time to become informed on the topic and still feels that their experience is not negatively impacted by using a laser, then that is their personal preference and that is fine :P.