nvidia is copying intel i7 960-970-980 names for the gpu ?

alihazzi7

I know that CPU names are very different from GPU line, but dont you think if intel is money hungry, they would want to sue nvidia for their new gtx line gtx 960 gtx 970 gtx 980 ? Dont think im stupid but could they do that ?

They could not do that, because NVIDIA is in a totally different market and those names are not trademarks of Intel, they're not even names really.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

They could not do that, because NVIDIA is in a totally different market and those names are not trademarks of Intel, they're not even names really.

I know that but they could clame, people will get confused ?

=_= really?.. It's not like they added "i" in there naming...

No... They are not copying Intel... And no Intel won't sue Nvidia... Geez

Its just a question, no need to get mad bro.

We've seen CPU and GPU model numbers used on both sides, multiple times even

Take the Nvidia 8600 GT and the Intel Core 2 Duo 8600 for example

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I know that but they could clame, people will get confused ?

Intel aren't a bunch of buttholes, they wouldn't try to scam people

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

omg look its the new Nvidia gti7 980! xD

I highly doubt they are copying the names, they would have hit the 900s even if they didn't skip the 800s eventually.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm fairly certain that it's impossible to copyright a standard 3-digit number...

If Nvidia directly copied the i7 branding and logo style, then Intel might be annoyed, but just because one company has a number in a product name doesn't mean that no one can ever say that number ever again..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

The NVIDIA i7 980? I'd buy that. :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

• 1 month later...

i7-970 with a GTX 970, they go together like a hotdog does with ketchup. 

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

The 900 series processors were sold in like 2008 so they are a bit late be copying them.

By this logic, AMD should sue Intel for naming their iGPUs with HD xxxx, a similar naming scheme to the Radeon HD series...

So, does that mean Intel also will sue AMD for their 970 chipset?

Sole numbers cannot be trademarked.

Sole numbers cannot be trademarked.

Actually they can.  The Porsche 911 was going to be called the 901, but Peugeot already had trademarked numbers with a "0" in the middle.

Intel don't have copyrights on the numbers. The Core i_ brand is what they own.

In the same way the Q6600 and 6600GT could co-exist.

If nVidia went and named their GPU the GeForce GTX i7970. Then we'd have problems.

Just so you know there was a GTX 285 way back in 2008 or 2009.  

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

I know that CPU names are very different from GPU line, but dont you think if intel is money hungry, they would want to sue nvidia for their new gtx line gtx 960 gtx 970 gtx 980 ? Dont think im stupid but could they do that ?

only a number no big deal 

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q