Asus PB278Q vs Samsung Samsung LS27A850DS

YEM

I'm looking to purchase a versatile monitor for a combination of photography/graphic, movie/media, and gaming use. I had my eyes set on the PB278Q until I saw a deeply discounted Samsung LS27A850, which I could bring home for just $50 more than the Asus.

Assuming the $50 additional is a non-issue, which monitor should I go with and why? 

As an aside, I did notice that the Samsung does not have an HDMI--while not a deal breaker, I'm wondering what problems that might pose if I were to ever want to hook the monitor up to something other than my computer (ie Xbox).

Well, if you were planning to hook up an xbox to your 2.5k monitor do realize that an xbox plays at 720p. Also, HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth to run 2.5k resolution, except if you get the newest iteration of HDMI ( which is 1.4A, i believe ). Personally I have never seen a purpose other than gaming(on a pc) or doing some type of editing to get a 2.5k monitor. The only ports I would ever use with a 2.5k resolution monitor is a Dual-Link DVI or Display Port as those both have the ability to run 2.5k resolutions at 60Hz.

Got it.  Ports aside, how do the monitors compare?

Heres my two cents. Both have a good feature set. The Asus PB278Q is known to have a more "greyish" type of colour to it. From what I have read, once you calibrate the monitor it fixes that problem that some users had. Both monitors have matte displays, use PLS panels with LED lighting. So It's your call. Don't worry too much about the dynamic contrast ratio or the response times they list, as there is no standard as to how they are measured. Personally, I would go with the Asus PB278Q. The Samsung monitor only comes with a DVI cable, while the Asus one comes with all the cables included. But you can't go wrong with a nice 2.5k monitor they are absolutely gorgeous! Do let me know which you end up going with. Also, if you need help with calibration just leave a post on the forum someone will guide you!