The NSA is mapping the internet

AndThenThereWas1

The program is known as Treasure Map and it's goal is to create a map of the internet all the way down to the end user. They are creating a detailed map of the internet including what devices are connected to your router. The outcome will be the ability to see what computers, tablets, smartphones, etc. are connected to the internet around the world in real time.

It instructs analysts to "map the entire Internet -- Any device, anywhere, all the time."

Oh, and for you Canadians who feel safe from their government.... well.... your government is on board with this.

Treasure Map allows for the creation of an "interactive map of the global Internet" in "near real-time," the document notes. Employees of the so-called "FiveEyes" intelligence agencies from Great Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, which cooperate closely with the American agency NSA, can install and use the program on their own computers. One can imagine it as a kind of Google Earth for global data traffic, a bird's eye view of the planet's digital arteries.

So why do they want such a program?

In addition to monitoring one's own networks as well as those belonging to "adversaries," Treasure Map can also help with "Computer Attack/Exploit Planning." As such, the program offers a kind of battlefield map for cyber warfare.

So how close is this program to reality? Well its already been tested on Germany:

The New York Times reported on the existence of Treasure Map last November. What it means for Germany can be seen in additional material in the Snowden archive that SPIEGEL has examined.

Treasure Map graphics don't just provide detailed views of German cable and satellite networks. Red markings also reveal to agents which carriers and internal company networks FiveEyes agencies claim to have already accessed. Of particular interest from the German perspective are two "Autonomous Systems" (AS) -- networks -- marked in red. They are labeled Deutsche Telekom AG and Netcologne, a Cologne-based provider.

The legend for the graphics in question explains the meaning behind the red markings: "Red Core Nodes: SIGINT Collection access points within AS." SIGINT refers to signals intelligence. In other words, networks marked with a red dot are under observation....

According to the logic of the undated Treasure Map documents, that would mean that the NSA and its partner agencies are perhaps not only able to monitor the networks of these companies and the data that travels through them, but also the end devices of their customers. Where exactly the NSA gained access to the companies' networks is not made clear in the graphics. The red-marked AS of Deutsche Telekom by itself includes several thousand routers worldwide.

You can watch an interview with an internet company known as Stellar here. One of the companies who have been targeted.

Here are slides of this program: http://www.spiegel.de/media/media-34757.pdf

And here is a bunch of documentation:http://www.spiegel.de/media/media-34756.pdf

source: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/snowden-documents-indicate-nsa-has-breached-deutsche-telekom-a-991503.html

so the government is getting into the targeted ad selling business now eh. collect all the data in the world. figure out what devices are connected where and target ads at them constantly. seems like a great way to possibly pull our pathetic government out of the RED

Well fuck.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Guess it's time to bring out the old VPN again.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Like Google (or any other big tech company or government) aren't already doing this...

At least they actually tell you what info they have on you...

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

You'd like to think that is correct... Wouldn't you?

Couldn't care what Google hold on me TBH. Their ToS clearly states what they collect, i'm happy for them to do that as they are providing me with free services.

Government, STOP DOING USELESS CRAP with THE PEOPLE's money and maybe fix your crap. You are highly in debt but you decide this is a great idea to do? It seems so rediculous.

We live in a paranoid oligarchical surveillance state. There is no escape from the eye...

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Time for everyone in the country to start sending each other chain-mail emails that include the word "Jihad" in an innocent way.

Can't force them to stop, annoy them into it.

Government, STOP DOING USELESS CRAP with THE PEOPLE's money and maybe fix your crap. You are highly in debt but you decide this is a great idea to do? It seems so rediculous.

If you believe what the people that vote for them think, we aren't actually in debt. Not sure how that works. Never mind that the government has a national debt clock on the internet, but no, we aren't in debt somehow....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They still see the raw data, its mostly to prevent you ISP from throttling your service. The NSA probably has a way of automatically reconstructing the data of just seeing the information from the VPN service provider before its decoded.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

as if this were actually news id be semi-amused... its the nsa, what more did you expect?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I wonder if they'll let us know if this is truly the end points?

http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html

http://hmpg.net/

Hopefully they got the yellow peg man feature included so we can always drag him on to a page and find where we are :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I don't know why New Zealand is getting involved in all this BS...

Somewhat global CTOS? Lol. I think a VPN is in order.

Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene 2 x 8GB G.Skill 16GB 1600 Mhz Intel 4670k @ 4.3 Ghz Corsair H100i w/ stock fans EVGA GTX 770 SC Intel 750 Series SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 SSD 240GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Seasonic X-650 V3 2 x 140 mm Noctua A14 PPC, 120mm LED Corsair AF120

Time to look up really lewd photos of horses to give them an eye full of stallion in their face.