Best 10bit IPS panel on a budget?

Trane993

I'm a student on a budget , who does 3d modeling and 3d game creation and wants the best possible color accuracy .
The size doesn't matter to me that much as long as it is 24+ inch .

can you help me out ?

currently using an acer 20 inch monitor....makes me want to kill myself  

10 bit going to cost you 5000 $ and up. Also you would need a Quadro for that. 

That is not true. You can get 10bit under $1000 but I am affraid that he wont be able to find anything under $500.

That is not true. You can get 10bit under $1000 but I am affraid that he wont be able to find anything under $500.

Show me a true 10 bit monitor under 5000. 

in my country there is a lot of second hand tech sold very cheap so something that is about 700$ can be found very little used under 500$ so i'm kinda counting on that ....
if i can't find one i will settle probably for an 8 bit dell monitor

That PA279Q is 8 bit and I belive the PA246Q is a 6bit that emulates 8 bit. 

The specs on the page say the PA246Q is 10-bit. If that's not so, I wouldn't know. By all means educate the OP since you seem to be better versed on the subject. ;)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Ok. You are right. However this is still 2800$ ish so it's way out of range. 

It is $2300 on amazon and it is expensive because it is EIZO and it is 1440p.

Asus PA249Q is 1200p and it is 10-bit for under $500 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PA249Q-24-Inch-Screen-Monitor/dp/B00CMHQOJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410704883&sr=8-1&keywords=PA249Q

http://www.techpowerup.com/182832/asus-announces-pa249q-proart-series-lcd-monitor.html

I'm a student on a budget , who does 3d modeling and 3d game creation and wants the best possible color accuracy .

The size doesn't matter to me that much as long as it is 24+ inch .

can you help me out ?

currently using an acer 20 inch monitor....makes me want to kill myself

I think I may have your answer, the BenQ GW2765HT » http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/gw2765ht/ «.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I think we are getting confused over true 10-bit and 8-bit emulating 10-bit. The PA246Q, PA249Q, etc. any 10-bit monitors that aren't multiple thousands are 8-bit with 10-bit emulation. However I think the PA249Q or Dell U2413 are under $500 so that would be the best way to go for some basic 10-bit capability. Keep in mind GeForce and Radeon cards are not capable of 10-bit output, you need a Quadro or FirePro.

I agree. you guys are confusing 10-bit panel and emulated 10-bit panels (8-bit with AFRC).

10-bit panels are costly. Already true 8-bit panel are a premium price, for 10-bit it's even higher.

For that you have to look at NEC or EIZO professional grade monitors. There starting price is 1000$ US/Canada about, for a 24inch 1080p or 1920x1200 monitors.

At the consumer level, the only true 10-bit panels currently out, and I am not sure at 100% they are true 10-bit panel, so it's up to luck (then again you can return it, but don't ask me to know without opening the monitor and looking at the panel model), The Dell UP3214Q and the Dell UP2414Q, both are 4K monitors. The 32inch one uses Sharp IGZO panel, and the 24inch one uses an IPS panel.

Of course as mentioned to enjoy 10-bit colors you need:

-> An Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro graphics card, THAT supports 10-bit colors (not all FirePro and Quadro's do)

-> Their respective drivers (so you get no game optimization, but you get PhotoShop and CAD related software optimization instead)

-> Software that support in displaying 10-bit colors (else you'll just get 8-bit colors), so programs like PhotoShop and CAD related programs

-> And of course, content in 10-bit or more colors.

For best color accuracy:

-> Consumer grade monitors don't have uniform back light, and that might cause a problem, if you have the eye or used to uniform back light. Uniform back light means that every part of the screen is evenly lit. You won't have darker spots than others. Professionals need uniform back light. Some can, however, settle for something pretty good, especially if they don't mind corners being dimmer than the center area(common)

-> Monitors that come with pre-color calibrated profiles are nice, and everything, but the calibration is just a quick one. It's sure beats nothing, but for professional work, it is not good enough, especially if you plan to publish your work at a professional level, like box art, billboards, restaurant food pictures, or magazines and so on, where the usage of high definition, super high-end, printers are used.

-> Color calibration is needed at least a monthly bases (or so I am told), to offset the normal wear of the LCD panel and back light, to ensure the best color accuracy all the time. While I am told, it can be at times overkill, you can't afford printing something at with those printers and the results are bad. It is costly to run these printers, and they sometimes, (like for magazines) can't do "just 1 copy".

-> No white LED backlight. White LED's aren't white, they are blueish color. At best they are cold white.

Same for low grade CFLs (or very yellow in that case). For true whites you want RGB LED back light, ideally, but that is very costly, especially if you want the ability to control the intensive of each set of color of the back light to adjust the white level, or high grade CFL, or GB-LED where you have Green and Blue LED put very close together with a layer of red phosphor to outputs a white light. But then, the backlight has a hint of green, not as bad as blue, but still. Or you have calibrated white LED where yellow phosphor or an offset of white is used to adjust the white light.

Consumer grade monitors have GB-LED at best, or the standard white LEDs. You used to have high-grade CFLs, but consumers and reviewers complained about heat, and power consumption (even thought it is not really bad at all, I have one, it heats up like a normal CFL lamp), and also, it was all the craze to have "thin panel" (like it maters, as the stand is the same size, so it took the same space), so they dispersed by 2010-11'ish, sadly.

• 1 year later...

*Nuked for courtesy 

Sorry to necro this post, but I really need to know. Is 8bit AFRC close to 10bit, and do I have to use a quadro to utilize this emulated 10bit?

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️