System Crashes after a fairly long gaming session

I have this problem where after playing games for a while, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, the system crashes. Sometimes it is a BSOD, sometimes it is just a pure blue screen(kind of like the red screen of death, only blue instead).

This may or may not be related, but I used to get BSODs after about 20-30 minutes until I went into Catalyst and adjusted the power limit to +50%

I looked in event viewer and found 2 bugchecks that happened just before the crash. The first one says it was "Unable to produce minidump file from the full dump file" and the second was an 0xa0000001 with parameters of 0x5,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0.

I have seen some people who disabled the AMD audio driver and that fixed it for them, could that be the problem?

Specs:

i5-4690k @ stock

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM (in slots 2 & 4, the first position for this motherboard)

Asus AMD R9 290 DC2 OC @ Factory settings

WD Blue 1TB

Corsair RM750 PSU

I have this problem where after playing games for a while, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, the system crashes. Sometimes it is a BSOD, sometimes it is just a pure blue screen(kind of like the red screen of death, only blue instead).

This may or may not be related, but I used to get BSODs after about 20-30 minutes until I went into Catalyst and adjusted the power limit to +50%

I looked in event viewer and found 2 bugchecks that happened just before the crash. The first one says it was "Unable to produce minidump file from the full dump file" and the second was an 0xa0000001 with parameters of 0x5,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0.

I have seen some people who disabled the AMD audio driver and that fixed it for them, could that be the problem?

Specs:

i5-4690k @ stock

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM (in slots 2 & 4, the first position for this motherboard)

WD Blue 1TB

Corsair RM750 PSU

Welcome to the AMD ship. Shit happens (i have an r9 290x)

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Specs:

i5-4690k @ stock

WD Blue 1TB

Corsair RM750 PSU

I would assume you're using the latest Catalyst? How are your GPU and CPU temps?

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Could be a temperature issue, or even a memory leak. Does this just happen with one game btw, or multiple games?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

it could be a factory unstable r9 290

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I would assume you're using the latest Catalyst? How are your GPU and CPU temps?

I dropped down to the latest stable 14.4 to see if my previous BSODs were caused by the beta driver.

Could be a temperature issue, or even a memory leak. Does this just happen with one game btw, or multiple games?

Temps for CPU are about 60 degrees C for the hottest core, and GPU temps max out at about 82 degrees C

It happened with Far Cry 3, and currently with Thief.

Is it seriously not fixable?

Nope

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Is it seriously not fixable?

Nope

Muahahaha (Nvidia Fanboy Evil laughing)

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Muahahaha (Nvidia Fanboy Evil laughing)

Welp i didnt meet any blue screen with nvidia but nvidia cards are as ex as the golden toliet bowl 

Welp i didnt meet any blue screen with nvidia but nvidia cards are as ex as the golden toliet bowl 

it was only 20 Euros more than a 280X and it has a sweet backplate. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

it was only 20 Euros more than a 280X and it has a sweet backplate. 

not in my country xD

whats your temps maybe its overheating 

As posted above, CPU temps max out at about 60 degrees C on the hottest core, and GPU maxes out at about 82 degrees C

Your problem here might simply be that the system is overheating? You could increase the RPM of the fans in your build or/and pump if your using a water-cooler, or maybe expand the possibly adding more fans if that doesn't help you could just try and clean out the system make sure that air can flow freely in and out, you do wanna keep in mind that you would preferably want positive air pressure inside your build (more air comes in then out) you can do that by changing the orientation of your fans so that more air is drawn in then pulled out. If that doesn't work I would suggest buying a different case or perhaps cleaning up your cable management?

Hope this helps :3

#NVIDIAMASTERRACE....... jk

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Your problem here might simply be that the system is overheating? You could increase the RPM of the fans in your build or/and pump if your using a water-cooler, or maybe expand the possibly adding more fans if that doesn't help you could just try and clean out the system make sure that air can flow freely in and out, you do wanna keep in mind that you would preferably want positive air pressure inside your build (more air comes in then out) you can do that by changing the orientation of your fans so that more air is drawn in then pulled out. If that doesn't work I would suggest buying a different case or perhaps cleaning up your cable management?

Hope this helps :3

I have all my fans(3 in front, 1 in back) connected to the built-in fan hub. It runs all the case fans at full speed(I will be buying a fan controller to fix that).

Yeah AMD makes good cards but the R9 series is notorious for running hot, plus AMD reported temps aren't exactly accurate either. Make sure the GPU fan isn't blocked by a bunch of dust, it should spin freely if you blow into the fan. Also make sure it's really spinning well when gaming.

Could be a RAM issue accentuated by heat over time or it could be a PSU issue, does it switch off and straight back on again or is there a delay before it will come back off?

Yeah AMD makes good cards but the R9 series is notorious for running hot, plus AMD reported temps aren't exactly accurate either. Make sure the GPU fan isn't blocked by a bunch of dust, it should spin freely if you blow into the fan. Also make sure it's really spinning well when gaming.

I also have an H440, so that doesn't help the temps at ALL.

Could be a RAM issue accentuated by heat over time or it could be a PSU issue, does it switch off and straight back on again or is there a delay before it will come back off?

Usually is it will go to a BSOD, then restart. Sometimes it goes to a red screen of death or a solid blue screen in which case I have to manually restart the computer(I never really waited for it to restart, I just do it myself immediately).

What would be a good way to test if it is caused by RAM being too hot? I ran windows mem diagnostic test with the extended test for 12 passes with no errors(too lazy to download memtest)

Also, I disabled the AMD audio driver and it didn't crash during the time I played, so maybe that fixed it.

Just got another crash in Sniper Elite 3. It does restart after a little while, so it was creating a minidump even though I couldn't see it.

In bluescreenview, it lists atikmdag.sys, hal.dll, and Wdf01000.sys as the culprits.