Windows 8.1 Error code 0xc0000185

CENTRIONLINE

Hey guys 

I've got a problem with the laptop of my GF, she has this error code which I am trying to solve.
her laptop can't reach the log in screen and keeps getting this error so I checked what this error code means
and I know what the possible causes are
and I checked if the hard disk is still working and it is but, 
when I am trying to use a bootable usb drive to use the repair pc tool and try one of the following options
like the troubleshoot option every other option I choose after causes a blue screen and not one with 
a sad smilie on it but just a plain blue screen with nothing on it and it stays there forever. I tried 
all other options like 

- System restore 
- System Image recovery
- Start-up Repair

But none of them work

So my thoughts are, reinstalling windows 8.1 ??

And here is the thing with that, there is no Product key of windows located on the back of her laptop 
or in one of her documents that came with her laptop.
So I am kinda stuck in here and I hope you guys could help me out.

System specs are
-Windows 8.1 64Bit
-AMD Dual-Core proc A6-5357M 3,5Ghz
-AMD Radeon HD8450G
-8Gb DDR3 
-500GB HDD Toshiba

I think u should try out another HDD or reinstall Windows 8. Maybe try to put ubuntu next to Windows and if Ubuntu works u gotta reinstall Windows 8.

But if I reinstall windows 8.1 do i have to enter a product key for windows 8.1 again ? cuz that will be a problem since we don't have it anymore

But if I reinstall windows 8.1 do i have to enter a product key for windows 8.1 again ? cuz that will be a problem since we don't have it anymore

Get a "free" copy then . Or just use ubuntu live usb and see how it goes .

> I have approximate knowledge of many things <

First of all I am not familiar with Ubuntu and second of all how can I get a free copy of windows 8.1 without torrenting it and even then I still need a valid product key to be able to use windows update 
this is not very helpfull guys....

Ubuntu is free, (Download Here http://www.ubuntu.com/download ) it shouldn't be that hard. Just make a Bootable USB Drive and install it, it is very easy to do. And on the other hand u could crack W8 but i'd advise to try Ubuntu

The product key of Windows is stored on the UEFI chip.

Use system disc that you did to re-install the OS on a new drive, or clone the recovery partition on the new drive.