HTC's next device could be an action camera

Rafy

It's been a testy couple of weeks for HTC. It's had new phones, plus rumors of a canceled wearable, a new tablet and a fragile deal with Amazon. What's a company to do? If reports are true, the answer is "release a camera." More specifically, a rugged GoPro-like device. Bloomberg's sources suggest the forthcoming action cam would be tube-shaped (so more like Contour's design), have a 16-megapixel sensor and an ultra-wide lens (though no specifics). The camera also reportedly has both Bluetooth and WiFi. WiFi isn't uncommon in helmet cameras, letting you control it with apps and accessories, but Bluetooth suggests a closer relationship with a phone. More likely meaning it could be a standalone device, and one that's tightly integrated with an HTC handset -- much like Sony's QX line of lens cameras. As luck would have it, HTC's hosting an event in October, so whatever it is, we shouldn't have to wait too long.

I honestly don't know what to think about this one. The biggest challenge that I see is that they are probably going to have to rely on Sony for the sensor and lenses as they are among the best ones on the market right now. More important is the price and build quality, this thing is going to be competing with the GoPro and other action cameras so it needs to be priced reasonably/competitively and not feel like a Korean knock-off. I trust HTC when it comes to build quality but price I am very concerned about.

Sources: