AMD Radeon R9 390X cooler leaked [OC3D]

Plasma

"Let's all bash AMD even though we really have very little insight into what the final product will actually be..." 

I understand many of us enjoy a good discussion speculating about new/up-coming products, but I'm getting really tired of this.  <_<

I'm there with you, it's getting silly. Let's all wait for someone to have a physical card outside of embargo and run controlled tests on it shall we?

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

God I hope this isn't true, if it is AMD really needs to sort out their heating on the chips (GPU and CPU) in stead of just throwing bigger coolers on top of it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

AMD: Because we can't air cool for shit 

I'de love for AMD to partner with noctua and make an air cooler to end them all just to shut people like you up.

I'de love for AMD to partner with noctua and make an air cooler to end them all just to shut people like you up.

Shut me up for what? Saying something that is true? 

AMD has heat and TDP problems up the wazoo. They don't really speak efficiency at all. 

Did I touch a nerve there? 

I dont think I would buy a GPU that is partially liquid cooled. If I want liquid cooling I will go all 9 yards and incorporate it into a loop.

AMD really needs to get their thermals under control before I will consider them a real option.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

AMD has heat and TDP problems up the wazoo. They don't really speak efficiency at all. 

I've had a 780 ti (reference) until 3 days ago and now i have a crossfire 280x toxic. Both setups stayed at 80-84 degrees and this in a mid tower with decent but limited airflow where you would expect the single card to stay much cooler. How is nvidia so much better? It's been proven time and time again nvidia's tdp ratings don't hold up in real world scenarios and that AMD often overrates by 10-20 tdp at least.

I've had a 780 ti (reference) until 3 days ago and now i have a crossfire 280x toxic. Both setups stayed at 80-84 degrees and this in a mid tower with decent but limited airflow where you would expect the single card to stay much cooler. How is nvidia so much better? It's been proven time and time again nvidia's tdp ratings don't hold up in real world scenarios and that AMD often overrates by 10-20 tdp at least.

LOLOLOL you are comparing  the Nvidia reference flagship card, to the AMD mid-high range card with an aftermarket cooler and you believe that is a legitimate test?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I dont really understand all this AMD hate... if this was NVIDIA post about them bringing refference liquid cooler I can already see you praising them for how awesome they are...

If this is going to be liquid cooler then it is probably because AMD is not able to figure out how to make decent stock air cooler. They may decided to f*ck it ... we are going liquid.. less work with developing decent air cooler (maybe more expensive) but a lot more efficient.

And if you dont want their liquid cooler... Guys? Did you forget about Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, .... ????

Soooooo - 500 W on single chip?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

LOLOLOL you are comparing  the Nvidia reference flagship card, to the AMD mid-high range card with an aftermarket cooler and you believe that is a legitimate test?

If anything thats SAD that his 280x is sitting at 80-84. It shouldn't be. It really shouldn't. 

If anything thats SAD that his 280x is sitting at 80-84. It shouldn't be. It really shouldn't. 

I was thinking the same thing... 

There is no arguing that the AMD thermals are way out of control.

Haha. I hope you know a cooler can only go so far. A terrible architecture still pumps out a lot of energy to kill the chip, no matter your cooler.

crossfire 280x as in 2

It's a rumor, so I don't care.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I dont really understand all this AMD hate... if this was NVIDIA post about them bringing refference liquid cooler I can already see you praising them for how awesome they are...

If this is going to be liquid cooler then it is probably because AMD is not able to figure out how to make decent stock air cooler. They may decided to f*ck it ... we are going liquid.. less work with developing decent air cooler (maybe more expensive) but a lot more efficient.

And if you dont want their liquid cooler... Guys? Did you forget about Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, .... ????

I have no hate for AMD, I ran an AMD cpu for several years, and AMD GPU's for a couple years as well. But with this particular architecture the thermals are way out of whack. And since I can wander over to the Nvidia camp and get a card with similar or better performance that has reasonable thermal control at an albeit premium price, I find that be be a better decision. 

I have no hate for AMD, I ran an AMD cpu for several years, and AMD GPU's for a couple years as well. But with this particular architecture the thermals are way out of whack. And since I can wander over to the Nvidia camp and get a card with similar or better performance that has reasonable thermal control at an albeit premium price, I find that be be a better decision. 

You're paying for your card to not melt. Seems like a fair trade honestly.

what are people hating on amd so much? so what if they run hotter if they slap on a liquid cooler that solves all the problems. i think nvidia fans are still butt hurt over the failure of the titan z. if amd puts on liquid cooling i will praise them if nvidia puts on liquid cooling i will praise them as well because they are truly making gpus for the enthusiast. and with the liquid cooling they get lower temps than nvidia cards 

Very interesting from a speculation stand point. If this really is a design for the new R9 390x looks like AMD listened and noticed how horribly bad their stock cooling has been on non dual cards for awhile now. 6970/7970/290(x) have all had that awful blower which was barely enough for the 6970. Also possible CLC on the stock card? Thats veerryyyy interesting. Possible really high clocks out of the gate? Well one thing is for certain if they do include CLC's on all flag ship products we can finally put the Hot and loud business to rest. Regardless of it "needing" a CLC to work. It will be both cool and quite compared to blower cards. 

All speculation of course, but looks very interesting. I await release and benchmarks. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Wow, it looks nice, but you know, ppl will just get the aftermarket ones so...

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

what are people hating on amd so much? so what if they run hotter if they slap on a liquid cooler that solves all the problems. i think nvidia fans are still butt hurt over the failure of the titan z. if amd puts on liquid cooling i will praise them if nvidia puts on liquid cooling i will praise them as well because they are truly making gpus for the enthusiast. and with the liquid cooling they get lower temps than nvidia cards 

Why should you need to put a better cooler on their card when Nvidia is doing perfectly fine? They need to fix their heat problems first.

Speculations. Its just a 295X2

@Askew

SPECULATIONS

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

AMD: Because we can't air cool for shit 

God I hope this isn't true, if it is AMD really needs to sort out their heating on the chips (GPU and CPU) in stead of just throwing bigger coolers on top of it.

I dont think I would buy a GPU that is partially liquid cooled. If I want liquid cooling I will go all 9 yards and incorporate it into a loop.

AMD really needs to get their thermals under control before I will consider them a real option.

Hence my earlier post. :rolleyes:  The source for the article, most would agree and often complain about, isn't known for providing reliable information to begin with. So take said info and images with a grain of salt, people.

It is completely true that AMD parts (CPUs and GPUs) do have higher TDP, but I would argue very strongly, that they do not necessarily operate at higher temps, in every scenario. TDP and operating temperatures are two different things. 

AMD has very clearly been improving it's products as of late with regards to TDP and efficiency.

-Kaveri APUs - especially the A8-7600 with 45 and 65 watt configurable TDP.

-The new Tonga GPU with lower TDP and less heat without loosing any performance.

They don't have TDP or thermal "problems", nor are they "out of control". It's only a problem if the parts cannot operate within the designed parameters with the necessary supporting components (same goes for Intel) - and they do so just fine. The FX-9000 CPUs are beasts when it comes to TDP and it should be understood by the user that that particular part requires substantial cooling and power-delivery solutions. Failure to recognize this and use inadequate supportive components is not AMD's problem, it's user ignorance. It's no different than someone trying to overclock a K series Intel CPU using the stock cooler with a cheap motherboard and either cooking the CPU or have the CPU throttle as a result. The majority of the time, CPUs aren't being heavily loaded and thus aren't operating/drawing anywhere near the rated TDP. It's only during stress-testing and benchmarking that they are pushed towards that limit - and even still, they may not necessarily draw that peak TDP. (See Linus's TechQuickie video on TDP). 

That being said, we're not even talking about CPUs. We're talking about GPUs. Since when have AMD's GPUs been known to run super hot and have way higher TDP compared to Nvidia? Not in recent generations (GTX 6XX and HD 7XXX or later). Reference cards almost always run hotter (and louder) from both companies, and not many people run them, so that isn't even relevant - except with the top-teir dual GPU cards - which IMO, AMD has won and hit it out of the park with their 295X2's AIO cooler design. Why? Because water cooling keeps temps much lower, more stable and on top of that; it also won't sound like a hair dryer and pump hot air inside your case.

Shouldn't need to talk about cost, but as we all know ~$1000 to $1500 for two 290X's on water is an incredible deal compared to the Titan Z at $3000+. The argument can be made that the Titan Z has a lower TDP and uses less power, but really, the massive price difference simply cannot make up for that. Another argument can be made that the Titan Z isn't even meant to be an enthusiast gaming card, which means the 295X2 stands alone as king and really has no competition (technically). And if that's the case, considering it's raw pixel-pushing performance, you can't say it's TDP or cooling solution is ridiculous. There's no other card to compare it to and it's a totally reasonable cooling solution for a card with this caliber of graphics horsepower.

I recently added water cooling to my gaming rig on both the CPU and GPU (specs in sig) and all I can say is; water cooling is awesome! My PC no longer sounds like an A380 taking off while playing games and temps are 20-30 degrees lower than they were before, running on all air. The overclock on my voltage-locked GPU is more stable as well. So while you all complain they used water cooling on a card with two 290X GPUs, I say; good on them for providing a superior cooling solution that will deliver smooth and stable performance and won't sound like a hairdryer. When you're shelling out that kind of cash for a GPU, you want it to perform reliably and I, for one, would not want it to be loud if it doesn't need to be.

You see, a lot of this has to do with context, perception and personal preference. I'm not an AMD fanboy. I agree they have some serious work to do to catch up to Intel on the CPU side. On the GPU side, they are doing really well competing against Nvidia and it will be a very interesting GPU race over the next couple generations as both companies push to increase efficiency and performance per watt. The fact that Sapphire just released the ITX version of the R9-285 shows that that level of performance from AMD is easily provided and sufficiently cooled in that size of form factor and blows your "AMD has TDP/thermal problems" myths right out of the water. They clearly don't and are clearly working to improve that aspect of their products. 

Personally, I highly doubt the R9-390/X will have an included AIO cooler, knowing AMD is making an effort to increase efficiency. But I can't say what they are really planning because the truth is; we don't know and we'll all have to wait and see. 

TL;DR - Stop being lazy, go back a read it. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I don't think that this will be true.

It wouldn't be a good decision as it would drive up the price and annoy the crossfire users.

As a enthusiast version of the 390X it might make sense.