Samsung 840 Evo 120gb getting 1TB read speed.

Zyre

Didn't Linus' ridiclous Raid 0 array in his custom rig only have like 1.2gb read speeds? (and that was like 8 Corsair SSDs or something...)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Didn't Linus' ridiclous Raid 0 array in his custom rig only have like 1.2tb read speeds? (and that was like 8 Corsair SSDs or something...)

Only 8, *only ;)* but, it wouldn't have been 1.2tb...

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Only 8, *only ;)* but, it wouldn't have been 1.2tb...

meant gb

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

He's not. He send me a picture from ''My Computer'' that shows only 1 SSD, plus he put it in his laptop.

Then this result is impossible even in theory. 6 Gb/s is less than 800 MB/s. He's supposedly getting 1100.

However, please note that this result perfectly matches a RAID 0. Such an array shows as a single disk in my computer, that is the whole point of RAID.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

He ran Crystal Disk Mark: 

rp3Ry3Q.jpg

Am I starting to lose this discussion or...

For those asking if it's really a single SSD:

zWw4C1X.jpg

That program seems super fishy. I don't believe that pic at all. Tell him to use the program everyone else uses. I don't remember the name of it though.

I believe that is Samsung's disk utility.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

That program seems super fishy. I don't believe that pic at all. Tell him to use the program everyone else uses. I don't remember the name of it though. 

Wake up, it's Samsung rapid mode which uses the RAM as caching for the SSD.

SamsungRapid.jpg

If you like I can enable it and post a bench if you mind.

I believe that is Samsung's disk utility.

Correct, I shouldn't come up with the name.

SamsungRapid.jpg

If you like I can enable it and post a bench if you mind.

Oh yeah, that thing... Complete bullshit nonetheless.

Spoiler

It might be Rapid mode, but how does it explain that he's getting 3TB write?, plus he's on 3GB/SATA, not 6GB port.

Lmao no need to be rude. It's not like I pay any attention to Samsung software. Sorry that I don't know every hard drive benchmarking tool out there...

It might be Rapid mode, but how does it explain that he's getting 3TB write?, plus he's on 3GB/SATA, not 6GB port.

From the little that I've read, it caches with RAM so I assume the benchmark is testing the RAM since it's cached with it. Not entirely sure how it works. 

i thought max read was 560 or something like that... if it was possible i would give maximum of 700. ask him if he lined his SATA cables in cocaine

I'm sure that drugs would help. But otherwise, no, that's pretty much impossible.

50Cent sweg.

he is probably using the ram caching feature on that drive that uses your ram for a cache

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

and how the hell  is he using 29 gb for windows and his programs

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

I got 8GB/s

7ucgdLh.png

840 pro is my main drive and the EVO 1TB is my storage drive which I enabled rapid mode for. You can only enable it for one drive though.

That's not 3 TBps write..  3000 MBps =  3 GBps.

And it's that high because it's using what's basically a RAMdisk to temporarily cache data instead of writing it to the drive.. The 3 Gbps SATA port (little "b", not big "B") isn't a factor in that benchmark because it isn't relying on the SSD's bandwidth, it's only relying on the bandwidth available to the RAMdisk.

In real world uses, Samsung's RAPID mode doesn't really improve performance by that much. While there are some scenarios where it can help, most of the time it's just a cheap way to trick a benchmarking tool to think that the drive is faster than it is..

I've used my 840 EVO with RAPID both enabled and disabled, and there hasn't been any noticeable difference in day-to-day use, even if it does crush benchmarks when RAPID is enabled.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

thats one of the features of the samsung drive but the problem is that once your system loses power your on the train to data loss and corruption vill

Oh so that's how RAM caching works? Seems I might be wrong after all.

Oh so that's how RAM caching works? Seems I might be wrong after all.

yea it is like ssd caching except with faster volatile ram