windows 9 recent leaks, all the details so far

AlexGoesHigh

and there's a lot of new changes coming, there is 20 screenshot showing them and each shows new features as well as different aspect of the redesigned desktop, like a new notification center, windowed metro apps, new multi desktops feature, new more flatten icons to match the new style, and what it seems to be the return of aero at least for the task bar (finger crossed for this one :D),and most importantly, the return of the start menu, also a dedicated search button next to it

1_m.jpg

6_m.jpg

9_m.jpg

5_m.jpg

3_m.jpg

2_m.jpg

7_m.jpg

4_m.jpg

16_m.png

8_m.jpg

10_m.jpg

11_m.jpg

12_m.jpg

13_m.jpg

14_m.jpg

20_m.png

17_m.png

18_m.png

19_m.png

15_m.png

Windows-9-Preview-Build-9834-1410783634-

Windows-9-Preview-Build-9834-1410783644-

Windows-9-Preview-Build-9834-1410783653-

Windows-9-Preview-Build-9834-1410783663-

Windows-9-Preview-Build-9834-1410783673-

Windows-9-Preview-Build-9834-1410783692-

Windows-9-Preview-Build-9834-1410783704-

its very obvious this isn't final, besides the MS confidentiality policy, there's a few thing that seem to be place holder, like the old recycle bin icon

another things i spotted, was how the start menu folds to the right like it did in all previous version up to XP which i welcome, the command prompt got a subtle font change, the explorer seems to be almost the same to how it look in windows 8, as well as the windows outer box

there's a lot in here that i probably missed but what i spotted does look like a massive upgrade vs 7 and 8, can't wait for the previews to roll out test all of this on my own :D

edit: another new things that can be seen in the pictures, found by @GoodBytes

To add more details:

We can notice, from the 3 first icon (including start button), from the bottom, right, that Microsoft is working in changing the icons. These are probably the target style.

We can also notice that it looks like Win9 will no borderless windows look, which is nice, in my opinion.

We see the multiple virtual desktop switch from the shots above. This was a detail previously leaked. Now we have a screen shot.

edit 2: now in video form, again thanks to @GoodBytes for this

edit 3: more videos

found by @LAwLz

found by @GoodBytes

edit 4: it just keeps going! and again thanks to @GoodBytes for finding all this info

Neowin has spotted something in the leaked videos

screen_shot_2014-09-13_at_10.46.15_am.jp

Storage Sense

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-9-storage-sense-is-coming-too

It is a feature that was introduced with Windows Phone 8.1 to manage your internal and external (microSD) storage, and gives you a better idea what consumes what.

It looks like it's coming to Windows 9.

This feature, which was first made available in Windows Phone 8.1, allows you to easily manage your internal and external (microSD) storage. The feature makes it simple to understand what is filling up your space such as apps, games, videos etc. Simply put, it's a total storage management solution in one app and it looks like it is coming to Windows 9 too.

The feature was spotted in the leaked screenshots from a partner build that was handed out to some folks in Germany. As you can see in the screenshot above, Storage Sense is in the list of options. Windows 8.1 already has Disk Space but we expect Storage Sense to replace this feature and offer up a more robust solution.

Considering that Windows is much more flexible with storage (multiple hard drives, USB drives, SD cards, OneDrive and more), this feature very well may be the best Windows solution yet for managing storage across multiple devices.

Now I think this will be more interesting in tablets than laptops or desktops, as I doubt it will be able to differential Steam games (let's say) and other data. My guess, is that it will show how much space by category Windows 9 Apps takes, and everything at the desktop level (beside pictures/videos/music/etc folders, as that is easy to measure), as "Other", or "Desktop apps", or if it's fancier, separate system files size from "desktop apps"/"Other".

It could also mean that perhaps, Windows 9 will allow you to install Windows 9 Apps on microSD card or SD card that your tablet might support instead of the system drive.

edit 5: changed title since more info has been added besides the desktop screnshots

edit 6: new notification center video, provide by @GoodBytes

edit 7: cortana functionality on windows 9 got leaked

the added screenshots in the spoiler show a very early iteration of it, just like everything else mentioned here, atm it seems cortana only supports reminders, no voice functionality or anything else, also it seems it will be integrated into the search function in the task bar,

also i expect to have a function to sync between your phone or other windows machines seamlessly, an IMO it would be nice if they release cortana on android and ios

Source: The Verge, computerbase.de (images, in german) and also other members post mentioned in here, (The Verge, (winfuture.de screenshots) cortana);

Edited by AlexGoesHigh

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I think i could like it. 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

Lets create a new operating system for our cool new notification center, windowed metro apps, new multi desktops feature, new more flatten icons.It looks the same as windows 8.1 but updated...

C++,Assembly,Reverse Engineering,Penetration testing,Malware analysis

Do you have a question?Are you interested in programming?Do you like solving complex problems?Hit me up with a pm.

*Ignores everything searches for start button*

It's an improvement.

It never left.  <_<

<_<

lol what do I care about all the other stuff, sure improved everything blabla but I want a desktop otherwise I switch to mac completely

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

It's the same as win8 but everything in a window. Wow.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Hmm. Looking good! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Personally, I think I might ditch Windows (especially if steam takes off on Linux) completely if the start menu is kept.  No company has ever pushed things forward by listening to their customers, only made current iterations better.  I will give Microsoft a chance to explain all this this nonsense, but could find myself going somewhere else.  (Hoping for a whole new OS from another vendor)

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I didn't see a tile based screen in there yet so I'm happy ^_^

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Personally, I think I might ditch Windows (especially if steam takes off on Linux) completely if the start menu is kept. No company has ever pushed things forward by listening to their customers, only made current iterations better

U wot m8?

Listening to consumers is bad?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

To add more details:

We can notice, from the 3 first icon (including start button), from the bottom, left, that Microsoft is working in changing the icons. These are probably the target style.

We can also notice that it looks like Win9 will no borderless windows look, which is nice, in my opinion.

We see the multiple virtual desktop switch from the shots above. This was a detail previously leaked. Now we have a screen shot.

To add more details:

We can notice, from the 3 first icon (including start button), from the bottom, right, that Microsoft is working in changing the icons. These are probably the target style.

nice finds, putting this in OP

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I'm waiting for the care to kick in but it's not happening.

Why is it the OS has to look like that? It's garbage.

It's called in the works.

Icons are are being changed, windows shell is being changed.

If you look at Win7 in development shots, you'll see how ugly it looked. Same for Vista. :)

Finally. That Metro UI is and always will be cancer.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I'll pick it up to play around in, I like that it has a proper start button again and that metro won't take over my entire monitor when I'm using it.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

That definitely looks promising.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900