10/100 Switches and FreeNAS

L.E.D

I have helped a few people with FreeNAS (I like to think I did) but I have my own problem more to do so with a network switch then FreeNAS but I have a 10/100 switch only because my 24port Gigabit died :( Anyway every thing only run's at 10MB/S rather then 40MB/S + Where it should be, It is a 10/100 Switch why does it only run at 10MB/S ? Is there something I have to do to fix it ?

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Well, because a 10/100 switch only can do a maximum of 100Mb/s (MegaBIT/s), to convert to MB/s (MegaBYTE/s), simply divide by 8 (8 bits in a byte), so you get 12.5MB/s and there is always some overhead on a connection so your speed would indeed be around 10MB/s.

​I don't get where you get the 40MB/s, maybe from USB (480Mb/s).

I kinda fell like a complete fool for not realizing that, and as for the 40MB/S + If I use a Gigabit switch I can get that, also using Gigabit cards.

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build