Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tony Tony Chopper

Post your home theater

Here is my "home theater" setup. To clarify, I'm a student at university, so my living room is only 12.3 sq m (132.4 sq feet) and it has to share both the tv/couch and the desk setup. Also, i just moved in 4 weeks ago, so i still need to buy a couple of things to fully set it up.

The tv is a 55" Philips 3D TV, and hooked up is an amp driving two Dali 104 speakers (no sub, since my neighbor would most likely kill me, and the two midtone drivers in each of the 104's have more than enough bass for this room size). I have a laptop hooked up for youtube, browsing, working, and streaming tv shows and movies from my desktop. The desktop is also hooked up, but i only use that to play games with my xbox controller or watch movies with too high bitrate for my laptop to handle. Lighting consists of 3 parts, i have a mood light standing in the corner farthest from the TV. Then i have a 4 bulb spot in the ceiling to keep the room bright and minimize the amount of light shining onto the tv. I have added a 5 meter RGB led strip to the TV table, which plays nicely with the spot in the ceiling.

Fair warning, the pictures are taken with my phone, so they look kinda noisy

EZKkKeG.jpg

o2f4zg2l.jpgE3cT3pgl.jpg

ihnUKgQl.jpgmMVKhWQl.jpg

As mentioned above, i just barely moved in, so i have some things to buy. Most importantly, my laptop will be replaced with a dedicated media center pc, that way i can watch movies and tv shows without having the gaming pc running, and i have more space for harddrives. I also need to get some way to reduce echo, and i have been thinking of getting a rug for the area between the TV tabele and the couch. I also need to hang some sort of sound absorber at the wall behind the desk, as it has massive echo in that corner (The ones that Goose Legs have look cool, so if they aren't too expensice, i might get those). I have also considered going full surround, but the work involved with finding a new amp, a center speaker that fits, and rear speakers that fit behind the couch would be massive, not to mention costly (i am still on a student budget).

It's not so much a "theater" as a music room with a big ass screen. Though it does work quite well in both scenarios.

What are those acoustic panels called, and how expensive are they? I'm looking to get some, but i don't want to break the bank doing it.

As mentioned above, i just barely moved in, so i have some things to buy. Most importantly, my laptop will be replaced with a dedicated media center pc, that way i can watch movies and tv shows without having the gaming pc running, and i have more space for harddrives. I also need to get some way to reduce echo, and i have been thinking of getting a rug for the area between the TV tabele and the couch. I also need to hang some sort of sound absorber at the wall behind the desk, as it has massive echo in that corner (The ones that Goose Legs have look cool, so if they aren't too expensice, i might get those). I have also considered going full surround, but the work involved with finding a new amp, a center speaker that fits, and rear speakers that fit behind the couch would be massive, not to mention costly (i am still on a student budget).

What are those acoustic panels called, and how expensive are they? I'm looking to get some, but i don't want to break the bank doing it.

I grabbed a couple kits called the Auralex DS-2 Pro Designer kit from Musicians friend, but I ended up getting a crazy deal in November back in 2011 when they were clearing the stuff out. Here's the one I got (mine's in blue, but they don't make it anymore): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/auralex-ds-2-pro-designer-kit

I'd say to keep watching that kit around November-December since they do go on sale around that time and you can usually find it for a much better rate. 

I grabbed a couple kits called the Auralex DS-2 Pro Designer kit from Musicians friend, but I ended up getting a crazy deal in November back in 2011 when they were clearing the stuff out. Here's the one I got (mine's in blue, but they don't make it anymore): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/auralex-ds-2-pro-designer-kit

I'd say to keep watching that kit around November-December since they do go on sale around that time and you can usually find it for a much better rate. 

Those look really nice, especially in black, although they are quite a bit more pricey than i had thought. A package of that size might be too big for me, especially since the wall behind my couch already has a print hanging. I will see if i can find it in a smaller package

Edit: apparently shipping is about as expensive as the product itself, so i will have to find another retailer

You can build your own easily and cheaply verses what those kits sell for. And the ones you build can go to your next home when you move and don't ask you to glue them to the wall. Many people hang rugs from the walls. And also keep in mind, a lot of the reflections come from the ceiling and if no carpet then the floor too. So if you want to save money DIY FTW :)

ABxgOOT.jpg

Using an old Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E520 as my HTPC :P

TV and receiver is being replaced soon, and I'm gonna get the full 5.1 set of my speakers. (missing center, subwoofer and rear speakers) :)

My setup rotates between 2 rooms. 1 is my personal bedroom, where it can project up to about 55 inches onto my wall. And the other is for when im going to have people over for movies, which is the basement. where the screen is 85 inches, and there are 3 rows of 3 chairs each. Below are pictures captured in both setups.

First up is the basement screen at 85 inches.
J7sWCpB.jpg

Me in front of it for size comparison (im 6 foot)
0N1S1Uk.jpg

Now we move on to my room. Screen above with wii sensor on wall below it, as well as laptop on electric fireplace. And SD tv in corner.
MCpVmwe.jpg

Playing zelda on the big screen in the room
MFNdnWy.jpg

And lastly. watching LOTR with the movie paused during a bright scene, and some game cases on a shelf for size comparison of the room setup.
ckIIniv.jpg

For now thats about it. Will come back in about a month when my new custom sound system and proper pull down screen and seating are all done and arranged. For now im "roughing it" with these 2 thrown together setups.

Its all powered by this little guy-
IRiy6OS.jpg

uQb1vMY.jpg

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

Home Theater Onkyo/Paradigm/Oppo/Hitachi

20141028_135142_Android.jpg

2 Channel Headphone Oppo HA-1/Audeze LCD-3

20141028_141903_Android.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8GHZ - MB: Asus Maximus X Hero AC- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG DDR4 3000 - GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3- CASE: Fractal Design Refine R6 Black TG - DRIVES: 970 NvMe 500GB/1GB SSD/2x 4TB HDD- PSU: Corsair AX1200i - DISPLAY: BenQ EX3501R 3440x1440 21:9  - COOLING: Corsair H150i Pro- KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum - MOUSE: Corsair Dark Core RGB AUDIO: Audioengine A5+ - NETWORK: ASUS GT-AC5300 - NAS: Synology DS418play 12TB - HTPC: AMD 2700X/EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2/16GB Corsair DDR4/500GB M2/1TB SSD/4TB HD/GD08 Case

Heres mine :D

gallery_136077_2128_250496.jpgI use this for both movies and games :D, has changed a bit but still have then set up as well as 2 speakers which you cant see on the roof at the back of my room and another big one to the back right of the picture which you cant see :P

what's the easiest way to hide wires for rear surround speakers?

Depends how much you're committed, and how your room is laid out. A couple options could be to tuck them in the crevice between your floor and wall, another option could be to run them in the walls (if you have access to the space above the room), you could run a rug alongside the room, or even pull the carpet up and hide them underneath the carpet if they're not too big and won't bulge out.

My Home Theatre
Bush 32" Full HD 3D LED TV with 3D Upscaling
WD TV Live with Netflix Membership
Sony DAVTZ140 5.1 DVD Home Theater System
Alba VHS Player (for playing VHS Tapes, nostalgia)
LED RGB Lighting

In the future, I am looking to build a HTPC to replace the WD TV Live.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

16asmtj.jpg

It's not so much a "theater" as a music room with a big ass screen. Though it does work quite well in both scenarios. :)

Wow. Cool Home Theater.

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

what's the easiest way to hide wires for rear surround speakers?

i ended up going through my attic

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

nice and clean setup

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

Here's my creation...

It is in a University-owned apartment, so I can't permanently attach anything or damage the walls. Projector is held against the wall with ten 3M Command picture hanging strips across five brackets. Wiring on ceiling is also held with Command hooks. Screen is on a custom mount that can disassemble and fold into four pieces.

• Optoma HD25 1080p projector
  • Elite Screens 106" manual screen from Amazon
  • Some Samsung sound bar with wireless sub, not fancy but good enough for me
  • Xbox 360, as well as some other devices not shown

post-248-0-32656900-1421175180_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-45192500-1421175223_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-96318600-1421175265_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-85598000-1421175307_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-48060100-1421175351_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-78895700-1421175435_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-60106000-1421175470_thumb.jpg

Setup at the new house. 70" Vizio E700i, Sony STRDH550 Receiver, Pioneer SP-FS52 Floor Standing Speakers, Sharp Bluray Player. Finally have a home for my 1100 and growing dvd collection. Center and sub to come.

post-35939-0-98175500-1421849876_thumb.j

post-35939-0-95020900-1421849895_thumb.j

"I'd say welcome friend, but not here...not like this."

An Intel D34010WYKH1 NUC with 4gb of RAM, a Corsair MX100 128gb ssd, Windows 7, and an external 802.11ac usb wifi adaptor hooked up to a cheap walmart brand 40 inch TV. We are replacing the tv soon.

This tiny box is smoking fast for what it is and works great!

I've made some changes since the last time I posted.

My Home Theatre

Bush 32" Full HD 3D LED TV with 3D Upscaling
HTPC with Sky Go and Netflix

Sky+ Receiver

Sony DAVTZ140 5.1 DVD Home Theater System with HD Upscaling
Alba VHS Player (for playing VHS Tapes, nostalgia)
LED RGB Lighting

Uplighting

HTPC Configuration

Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X2 215 Dual-core Processor
RAM: 3 GB DDR3 (going to upgrade to 8 GB of Ballistix DDR3 RAM)
Storage: WD 320 GB Hard Drive Disk (unsure of the model) (going to add a SSD with the OS and programs on)
Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9200
Card Reader: Multi-in-One

I use my phone. I have no TV or media PC and have no need for one. 

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

my audio system

receiver pioneer vsx923k 7.2 (5.2 bi amp) 150w x 7 at 6ohm

subwoofer power amplifier Gemini xga-2000 250w at 8ohm

front bi amp low high - low=20hz-20khz Gemini gsm 1585 175w 8ohm high=20hz-20khz Kenwood and Panasonic my DIY 3way crossover 100w 8ohm

center moded Sansui s81u dual moded with moral twitter and Roland mid's with custom narrow mid and super twitter at top 4ohm 325w

surround Gemini gsm 1265 8ohm 100w

subwoofer my DIY box dual config. 15" trisonic 300w 8ohm + 12"  pioneer 400w 4ohm (12ohm)

2nd sub Microlab 30w 6"

please don't trash.

I like it, im not a pro .

here is a picture with the screen set up for movie watching

post-193326-0-54264000-1426349575_thumb.

Edited by Benielishackove

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: