Speed test sites inaccurate?

VG Docs

I was downloading (Not installing) WoW's latest PTR, and it achieved a peak of 20 MB(Yes, capital B)/s.

Yet, whenever I go to a site like speedtest.net, (testmy.net somehow more inaccurate) it says I only have 57 mbps speed (Lower b). 20 MB/s = 160 mbps

I could understand if it was close (Like 130), but it's not. The download was pretty consistently above 17 MB/s (136 mbps)

Is there something here I'm missing?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I'm sure you know this, but nothing else was downloading/streaming during the test? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm sure you know this, but nothing else was downloading/streaming during the test? 

Yeah, I paused the download to do the test.

After I downloaded the whole PTR build, I restarted my computer and only went to the website with no downloads active.

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

maybe the ookla server near you isnt that good? try manually changing the server to one in chicago or something

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

maybe the ookla server near you isnt that good? try manually changing the server to one in chicago or something

I honestly have no idea how to do that.

I honestly have no idea how to do that.

on speedtest.net just click one of the white dots, those are different servers you can choose from c:

post-5552-0-45840300-1410318453.png

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

on speedtest.net just click one of the white dots, those are different servers you can choose from c:

Thanks, I just now tried that with a bunch of different servers (Around me, and Chicago ones as well), no luck on the DL speed. Although, the ping did get lower.

Thanks, I just now tried that with a bunch of different servers (Around me, and Chicago ones as well), no luck on the DL speed. Although, the ping did get lower.

hmm, have you tried different browsers/PCs? maybe your isp loves you :P

hmm, have you tried different browsers/PCs? maybe your isp loves you :P

Well, I tried on Chrome originally. Just tried it on Firefox, the speed improved a small bit, 1 ms ping better and 1 mbps better on the website lol

There are only two PCs with an ethernet cable here, and my dad just tried it on his PC (The second one) with the same result.

Oh well, as long as my actual speed is higher, I guess it doesn't really matter. :P

Speedtest.net isnt a well recommended way of getting accurate speeds of a network. Even ISP companies dont recommend it.

Your routers status should give you an speed exactly on what the exchange line is giving. Search cnet's website for a speedtest basically called  "Network Speedtest" This gives you the same results as the router. Speedtest.net gives you the speed of what the exchange side says NOT what it gives at the home user end.

I think the WoW downloader message may have been misinterpreted. they probably meant 20Mb/s (that sounds a lot more reasonable).

What speed do you pay for? Unless you pay an arm and a leg, and live in a specific area I would not expect 160MB/s to be correct.

By the way, AT&T recommends the Speedtest.net site, so I believe it is at least going to give you a number that is in the ball park.

I think the WoW downloader message may have been misinterpreted. they probably meant 20Mb/s (that sounds a lot more reasonable).

What speed do you pay for? Unless you pay an arm and a leg, and live in a specific area I would not expect 160MB/s to be correct.

By the way, AT&T recommends the Speedtest.net site, so I believe it is at least going to give you a number that is in the ball park.

160 mbps, not 160 MB/s

And also, the speedtest.net site is also notoriously inaccurate for using flash. But, you're right - I'd figure it'd at least be in the ballpark.

Also, keep in mind WoW isn't the only thing that said my DL went up to 20 MB/s. I've used JDownloader to download many large files before, and each time it gets above 15 MB/s DL speed, which is 120 mbps. Now, I can understand Blizzard (The silly devs that they are) accidentally putting a capital B for what's supposed to be a lower case b, but that's not the only time I reach high speeds. Even the few times I use steam, I get 14-17 MB/s when downloading. Again, way out of the ballpark of 57 mbps that speedtest thinks I have (~7 MB/s)

My experience with speedtest.net is the same: rated too slow for a sufficiently fast Internet connection. I would suggest getting second, third, etc. opinions from speedof.me or testmy.net,... something that uses only HTML to test, no plugins (although there are also some pretty bad HTML-based speed testers out there as well).

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.2GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

It could also be that the Blizzard download is compressed and the downloader is showing how fast it receiving the download once uncompressed (I think Origin does this).

Case-to-case basis imo...

Try using the farthest speedtest.net server from your location, do it thrice then average the speeds...

Effective internet speeds are dependent on route taken, geographic location, server location, server status, and server connection...