Holy mother of bad looking smartwatches

Norman_the_Owl

I'll be honest and say I like the watch strap being easily removable and the use of the dial to get around the phone, as well as other things they've integrated into it, like the "taptic" feedback from it etc, but the base design is a little boring, however I can see the appeal. I much prefer the design of the moto 360, but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal opinions.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I'll be honest and say I like the watch strap being easily removable and the use of the dial to get around the phone, as well as other things they've integrated into it, like the "taptic" feedback from it etc, but the base design is a little boring, however I can see the appeal. I much prefer the design of the moto 360, but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal opinions.

I definitley think the software is going to be the important part. If they can get it together on a good wearable OS, they'll have a winner on their hands. Or wrists, technically :P

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Yeah when the iPhone 4 came out, that phone was far and away the best phone for the next few years. Absolutely no question. Not any competitor had anything near as good. They seem to just still be riding on the iPhone 4 train IMO.

How about the Samsung Galaxy S2? The S2 was slapping the iPhone 4S on all the benchmarks, was cheaper, had better battery life (what a surprise), and other things aswell. I'm sure there were other phones out too who could also compete with the 4S.

And I really cba buying a smartwatch. Maybe in a couple years, but right now it's not worth it imo.

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

Wait until you guys see the price.

I'll give you a hint, it costs just as much as some unlocked phones.

Wait until you guys see the price.

I'll give you a hint, it costs just as much as some unlocked phones.

$350 bucks. Same as the larger iphone on contract, if i'm not mistaken. That might have been $300 though

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

And lets be honest, that's still not that good looking...

And be honest I would rather buy one of the new released phones then a watch with a display. :D

Sharp AquosCrystal  Getting one soon.

5846sharp-aquos-crystal-710x428.jpg

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I definitley think the software is going to be the important part. If they can get it together on a good wearable OS, they'll have a winner on their hands. Or wrists, technically :P

I agree. When I saw how the software was working, and how they had multiple points of control as well as the access to different things on it via the homepage, I was really impressed, much better way of getting around from the looks of it than on the galaxy gear smartwatches that I've tried out briefly in the samsung store, but then again I've not tried the applewatch yet to tell which is better, and I haven't lived with either for a week or more to be able to make a viable choice.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I will never buy smart watches thicker than 5mm. I don't think Apple can do it next year.

I will never buy smart watches thicker than 5mm. I don't think Apple can do it next year.

I dont think that will happen even remotely soon, the technology doesnt exist yet. And it probably won't for a while.

Think it looks pretty nice.

You guys do realize Apple spends so much more time and money on design and R&D than any other company? Jony Ive is pretty brilliant.

Samsung pushed out 7 smart watches in less than a year. How could they possibly have enough time to make them all great?

Think it looks pretty nice.

You guys do realize Apple spends so much more time and money on design and R&D than any other company? Jony Ive is pretty brilliant.

Samsung pushed out 7 smart watches in less than a year. How could they possibly have enough time to make them all great?

None of the samsung smartwatches were great. And i don't think apple really spent that much time on R&D for this one. It's no more complex than the original LG G watch, but with a more aesthetically (in some people's opinion) pleasing casing

None of the samsung smartwatches were great. And i don't think apple really spent that much time on R&D for this one. It's no more complex than the original LG G watch, but with a more aesthetically (in some people's opinion) pleasing casing

Wait until you see it. Apple's worst is still pretty fucking great when it comes to design.

Wait until you see it. Apple's worst is still pretty fucking great when it comes to design.

It really isn't though. This is literally just a screen with some components in a casing. It's not revolutionary. It would be revolutionary if it were a circle, even though it's already done. 

They never had mojo, they had a hipster following, which lead others to think it was a worthwhile product, and now they just sell on the principle that something is better because an apple logo is on it.

Edit: Or at least worth 3 to 4 times as much because it has an apple logo on it.

What is this mojo of which you speak? And how might one measure it? 

Yes, clearly the heart rate monitor, taptic feedback, hardened gold, force sensitive touch, inductive charging, barometer, UI, sealed components, sapphire glass cover, and machined stainless steel body took no time to get right. None at all. Honestly with the amount of effort they put into this thing, it looks like Jony Ive saw a bucket of gold Play Doh by the door on his way to the keynote and decided to sculpt something out of it.

/sarc

It would be revolutionary if it were a circle

This just in: circles are revolutionary.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What is this mojo of which you speak? And how might one measure it? 

Yes, clearly the heart rate monitor, taptic feedback, hardened gold, force sensitive touch, inductive charging, barometer, UI, sealed components, sapphire glass cover, and machined stainless steel body took no time to get right. None at all. Honestly with the amount of effort they put into this thing, it looks like Jony Ive saw a bucket of gold Play Doh by the door on his way to the keynote and decided to sculpt something out of it.

/sarc

This just in: circles are revolutionary.

I say circles are "revolutionary" because they are quite difficult to use as a form factor. Motorala had a hard time getting it right, and it's still not really perfect yet. That bezel at the bottom is a shame.

And the mojo, IMO, is all of their new products being actually good per se, if not amazing. The iPad, for example. It's just another tablet. But it's not bad like this watch looks like it might be... Seriously it's ugly as all hell too

It really isn't though. This is literally just a screen with some components in a casing. It's not revolutionary. It would be revolutionary if it were a circle, even though it's already done.

But the build quality, seamlessness, and Retina display will make it bounds above anything else out there. And dat charger :o

To be honest, I would not want to be seen in public wearing that. 

You get for a much more badass proper watch for that kind of money. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

But the build quality, seamlessness, and Retina display will make it bounds above anything else out there. And dat charger :o

You've never held it, how can you tell it's got good build quality?

It's not even fully finished yet, how can you tell it's seemless?

We don't specs, how do you even know it's got a good display?

And what charger? I've seen no charger

I think it's one of the better looking smartwatches right now.

To be honest, I would not want to be seen in public wearing that. 

You get for a much more badass proper watch for that kind of money. 

I concur. It needs to be a watch before it's smart.

IMO, at least. They shouldn't be trying to make something new, they should be trying to add more functionality to a normal watch

I say circles are "revolutionary" because they are quite difficult to use as a form factor. Motorala had a hard time getting it right, and it's still not really perfect yet. That bezel at the bottom is a shame.

And the mojo, IMO, is all of their new products being actually good per se, if not amazing. The iPad, for example. It's just another tablet. But it's not bad like this watch looks like it might be... Seriously it's ugly as all hell too

Motorola's is far from perfect. It's pointless skeuemorphism, basically a stunt. The iPad was the first tablet of this generation if you recall, and you're really the only one that hates the way it looks. All the fashion and design reporters loved it, you're almost the only person who doesn't.

You've never held it, how can you tell it's got good build quality? It's made of solid metal, and Apple does solid metal well.

It's not even fully finished yet, how can you tell it's seamless? Because I know what good design looks like.

We don't specs, how do you even know it's got a good display? It's retina. Again, watch the keynote please.

And what charger? I've seen no charger You're blind. Go watch the actual keynote before chiming in with your idiocy.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Motorola's is far from perfect. It's pointless skeuemorphism, basically a stunt. The iPad was the first tablet of this generation if you recall, and you're really the only one that hates the way it looks. All the fashion and design reporters loved it, you're almost the only person who doesn't.

I'm definitely not the only one who thinks it looks bad, read the thread before chiming in with your idiocy.

And you still can't tell the build quality and seamlessness, whatever that means, from these early samples.

I'm definitely not the only one who thinks it looks bad, read the thread before chiming in with your idiocy.

And you still can't tell the build quality and seamlessness, whatever that means, from these early samples.

You haven't watched the keynote. Please do so before replying.

Great. Five people on a tech forum that's mostly Windows biased hate the way an Apple product looks. Big fucking surprise.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You haven't watched the keynote. Please do so before replying.

Great. Five people on a tech forum that's mostly Windows biased hate the way an Apple product looks. Big fucking surprise.

What does windows bias have to do with not liking the look of the watch?

If somethings ugly, it's ugly. It doesnt matter if i'm a disciple of GabeN or whoever, that doesn't influence my tastes aesthetically.

I don't think it looks bad per say, just it doesn't look as good as other smart watches

That was probably an opinion