Computer starts for a fraction of a second then turns off

Go to solution Solved by Chenty,

First step is to clear CMOS incase something got affected during the transplant. If still dead, then take everything out of the case again and try it outside of the case with no drives plugged in. If that fails, try removing the graphics card and running off onboard. If that still doesn't fix the problem try one RAM stick at a time in varying slots. If still no joy, try to get hold of another PSU. If still no joy then you have narrowed it down to the mobo or the processor and it may be worth just upgrading to current gen at that point.

Hello, I have just transplanted my old system into a new case, and ever since it not wanted to start up, exept rarely where it does. When I press the power button, the fan start to spin up for about 0.25 seconds then stop. I am not an experienced builder.

Specs:

intel core i7 920

dell motherboard

ati radeon hd 4670

15Gb RAM

64Gb ocz petrol

500Gb wd caviar blue

generic power supply

new case: cooler master haf xb

old case: dell studio xps 435mt

did your new case have motherboard stand offs? It sounds like your system is shorting out.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

if in previous case all works.... first what you should do > check all power connections

I have put the motherboard standoff screws on and I have checked my power connections, sometimes I'm luky somtimes I'm not

Try ram sticks one at a time.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Thats right, check all power connections, make sure the motherboard is correctly installed to check if its not shorting out, maybe you installed a standoff wrong, check any new connections from the case like front audio, power/reset button, etc. 

CPU: AMD FX 6100 Stock - MB: Asus M5A97 EVO - RAM: AMD Memory Entertainment Edition 2x4 GB 1600 MHz - PSU: Topower 650W NANO - SSD: Samsung 840 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM - GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor - X OC - CASE: Aerocool Strike - X Advance (Red/Black) - OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I have tried the ram and the gpu is not dead seeing as its turns on rarely

and I have made sure of the power connectors and the front io

but I am pretty sure about the mobo standoffs

Im pretty sure it has to be an electrical problem, like a short or something. Because that happened to me when I built my PC. I reinstalled the motherboard and the PSU and I got it working.

CPU: AMD FX 6100 Stock - MB: Asus M5A97 EVO - RAM: AMD Memory Entertainment Edition 2x4 GB 1600 MHz - PSU: Topower 650W NANO - SSD: Samsung 840 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM - GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor - X OC - CASE: Aerocool Strike - X Advance (Red/Black) - OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

of I shall try that

First step is to clear CMOS incase something got affected during the transplant. If still dead, then take everything out of the case again and try it outside of the case with no drives plugged in. If that fails, try removing the graphics card and running off onboard. If that still doesn't fix the problem try one RAM stick at a time in varying slots. If still no joy, try to get hold of another PSU. If still no joy then you have narrowed it down to the mobo or the processor and it may be worth just upgrading to current gen at that point.

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) | Core i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB @ stock

8GB G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133MHz | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 3x500GB RAID 5 | DVD-RW

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

Make sure that you aren't shutting your case door on your graphics card's power cord and knocking it loose...I've been there -_-

Cleaning the cmos worked but i still do not have confidence about turning it on yet