2x GTX 680 2GB Direct Cu II in SLI or 1x Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB?

Eckdayz
Go to solution Solved by loccilucas,

Yea I decided on 2x GTX 680 2GB. I am purchasing 1 in the next week or so. I have a question though, would my 900W PSU be able to handle 2x GTX 680 2GB?

Yeah it will be fine 900 is plenty

You have just contradicted your whole line of debate up to this point, a full 3GB, not 6.

I never said each frame uses 6GB vram.

I never said each frame uses 6GB vram.

But you did say that you essentially have 6GB of usable VRAM which physically speaking you do have 6GB of VRAM in the system but in use you still only have 3GB to call upon to render a frame.

I'm with Askew, you're obnoxious and you've earned a place on my block list.

@OP, please ignore this person as they have silly notions on how VRAM works.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

But you did say that you essentially have 6GB of usable VRAM which physically speaking you do have 6GB of VRAM in the system but in use you still only have 3GB to call upon to render a frame.

I explained myself allot better than you. It's called Alternate Frame Rendering or SLI/CFX is the scientific word for using dual GPUs. The technique is that one graphics processing unit computes all the odd video frames, the other renders the even frames. 3gb Vram for every odd frame and 3gb Vram for every even frame not 3gb for all frames but half of them for a total of 6gb Vram useable on a GPU such as the 295x2 which is a 6GB video card.

I have blocked him also, I will also report this thread.

I have blocked him also, I will also report this thread.

Well you don't have to be nasty when you get corrected on misinformation. I explained how dual GPUs work just fine and correct and then you had a hissy fit. Come on man give it a rest and chill out LOL. Alternate Frame Rendering or SLI/CFX it the scientific word for using dual GPUs. The technique is that one graphics processing unit computes all the odd video frames, the other renders the even frames. 3gb Vram for every odd frame and 3gb Vram for every even frame not 3gb for all frames but half of them for a total of 6gb Vram useable.

I heard that SLI has a lot of problems and that it would be difficult to balance the power on both cards?

Why 680s? why not 770s?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770

Lower price and a slight bit more powerful.

It's not worth him getting rid of his 680 for a 770. The performance difference is tiny.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I heard that SLI has a lot of problems and that it would be difficult to balance the power on both cards?

SLI does have some problems but they are no where near as bad or frequent as people make them out to be. I wouldn't let the sli problems put me off going sli

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

SLI does have some problems but they are no where near as bad or frequent as people make them out to be. I wouldn't let the sli problems put me off going sli

Yea I decided on 2x GTX 680 2GB. I am purchasing 1 in the next week or so. I have a question though, would my 900W PSU be able to handle 2x GTX 680 2GB?

Yeah it will be fine 900 is plenty