Displeased with the 32bit vs 64bit Fast As Possible

I agree with you completely.

But on the RAM note, I wouldn't let them have 4GB RAM on a mobile device.

Why? Well the answer is simple: Software companies need to learn to write properly. My god, how the hell does a stupid ass app use over 200mb of RAM. It's shitty code I tell you. You probably have a ton of apps that use CPU time for NO GOOD REASON. Seriously, the quality of the coding has degraded so much it's making me sick. I get that some apps can't be rewrote because of backwards compatibility considering most of them run on Android 2.3 and 4.4. But then dump anything below Android 4.0. It's time to move forward but it's also time to start writing more efficient code.

I would file this under constructive criticism, good post Lawlz. The series should really be "as concise as possible", I've always thought the oversimplification in order to fit the format is of detriment to the content.

But I don't think I'm the intended audience.

We need to have Linus respond to this.

Not saying you're wrong at all, OP, 64-bit gives us substantial performance increases, but I really don't think that Linus is just pulling stuff out of his ass. Not when he works with computers for a living.

Note: Please correct me on any mistakes I make.

It is far more likely this time around actually.

This issue is though that even if it takes 3-4 years (as you said) to give up the 32-bit support it's still a substantial amount of time before we move to 64-bit which still proves Linus' point. As of right now the 64-bit announcement has no real consumer-level value (Hell most probably don't even know what you gain from going 64-bit). I actually sincerely doubt it's even close to being more likely to have a quicker transition.

Microsoft has shown that they are willing to completely dump support even faster than 4 years

They might be willing but that does not mean they will do it outright and again. XP was already pretty darn bad IMO at the release of Windows 7. Also dumping support for an OS when there are literally 3 newer ones is a different ballpark than going for 32 to 64-bit.

People change phones far more often than they change their desktop

That means that people will pay a price premium for a 64-bit phone that will be under-utilized. Also by the time 64-bit will see widespread use then by that time there are better 64-bit phones which are most likely going to be with less of a price premium because they have been around for longer.

Not to mention that we will soon have 4GB of RAM in phones and tablets and by that time we will need 64bit. And before anyone says "there is no reason for it", yes there is.

While I do agree that the 1GB of VRAM is lacking there should really be no point whatsoever in putting more than 2-3GB of RAM in a phone. More RAM also means more power consumption (Vital aspect in phones, more so than in laptops/desktops), more heat and a higher price tag (and IMO they are too high as they are right now).

4GB and beyond would help even more with the VRAM, and also be able to keep things cached for longer, and allow for more advanced apps. We are already seeing devices with proper multi tasking, like having multiple windows open at the same time on your tablet and that can benefit from more RAM as well.

Truthfully if you need that much RAM and you need to multitask that much you would be so much better off with a laptop and apps that are "advanced" should also be advanced enough to be written to require less RAM, therefore eliminating the need for very high amounts of RAM in a phone.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

SNIP

No word of a lie, when I saw this video I immediately thought, I bet Lawlz has something to say about this, because I remember you and me having the exact same discussion a few months back, where everyone was saying that 64bit is only useful for having more RAM

And here you are :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

17 users, you got the forum's attention.

Well he just implied that a Linus Video was disappointing/bad. Of course you draw attention with that :D.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Why? Well the answer is simple: Software companies need to learn to write properly. My god, how the hell does a stupid ass app use over 200mb of RAM. It's shitty code I tell you. You probably have a ton of apps that use CPU time for NO GOOD REASON. Seriously, the quality of the coding has degraded so much it's making me sick. I get that some apps can't be rewrote because of backwards compatibility considering most of them run on Android 2.3 and 4.4. But then dump anything below Android 4.0. It's time to move forward but it's also time to start writing more efficient code.

Oh don't get me started on software bloat... I agree that developers need to put more effort into optimization, but in the end there is only so much optimization you can do. My usage is probably not the same as the average Joe but yesterday when I was visiting one of my favorite websites I ended up having 12 tabs in my browser open. Each tab had about 20 images in it. Each image was just a fairly small thumbnail but it still end up being a decent amount of RAM. If I had wanted to multitask, as well as keep stuff in cache for a decent amount of time, as well as having a decent amount of VRAM for my 2560x1600 screen I could probably have benefited from 4GB of RAM or maybe even more.

I think better hardware AND better software is the way forward.

This issue is though that even if it takes 3-4 years (as you said) to give up the 32-bit support it's still a substantial amount of time before we move to 64-bit which still proves Linus' point. As of right now the 64-bit announcement has no real consumer-level value (Hell most probably don't even know what you gain from going 64-bit). I actually sincerely doubt it's even close to being more likely to have a quicker transition.

Well that's just before it's completely unsupported on newer software. During those few years we will see 32bit and 64bit applications coexist. For example on the iPhone Apple has moved all the first party apps to 64bit, and if your phone supports the 64bit version of the app in the app store you will download that automatically.

I think there is a value to consumers as well. Higher performance is always good, especially if it's seamless to the users, and requires very little effort from the developers.

They might be willing but that does not mean they will do it outright and again. XP was already pretty darn bad IMO at the release of Windows 7. Also dumping support for an OS when there are literally 3 newer ones is a different ballpark than going for 32 to 64-bit.

Well I was talking about phone OSes. Not a single WP7 handset got updated to WP8. If Microsoft decided that WP9 would be 64bit only, they could do that and all of a sudden all WP9 software would have to be 64bit.

That means that people will pay a price premium for a 64-bit phone that will be under-utilized. Also by the time 64-bit will see widespread use then by that time there are better 64-bit phones which are most likely going to be with less of a price premium because they have been around for longer.

Not really under-utilized since a lot of everyday tasks benefit from it, but they won't get the same benefit as if all software was 64bit, yes.

It probably won't be that big of a price premium though. These SoCs are really cheap. We aren't talking about 200-300 dollar CPUs. We are talking about maybe a 10 dollar increase in the BOM for the manufacturers. Besides, there will be cheap SoCs with 64bit support.

The Desire 510 is by no means a premium device, but it has 64bit compatible hardware in it. The newly announced Desire 820 also has a 64bit compatible SoC.

Qualcomm has a complete lineup of ARMv8 SoCs which covers all price brackets.

While I do agree that the 1GB of VRAM is lacking there should really be no point whatsoever in putting more than 2-3GB of RAM in a phone. More RAM also means more power consumption (Vital aspect in phones, more so than in laptops/desktops), more heat and a higher price tag (and IMO they are too high as they are right now).

Well we are already seeing the benefits of having more than 2GB of RAM in phones (more VRAM helps quite a lot at 1080p and above). With the move to 64bit we will also see the RAM usage go up slightly. The power and heat increase is negligible, especially with the move to LPDDR4. It's probably not even 1mW for 1-2GB of extra RAM 8for comparison, the Galaxy S 5's 1080p display uses over 800mW by itself). The price difference is pretty negligible as well if you're looking at purely BOM cost. The cost difference between 2GB and 3GB is 1 dollar.

Truthfully if you need that much RAM and you need to multitask that much you would be so much better off with a laptop and apps that are "advanced" should also be advanced enough to be written to require less RAM, therefore eliminating the need for very high amounts of RAM in a phone.

I don't think "just use a different device" is a valid reason for halting progress on phones and tablets.

Interesting. I am more than a little interested in seeing what Linus' response is to this.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well that's just before it's completely unsupported on newer software. During those few years we will see 32bit and 64bit applications coexist. For example on the iPhone Apple has moved all the first party apps to 64bit, and if your phone supports the 64bit version of the app in the app store you will download that automatically.

I think there is a value to consumers as well. Higher performance is always good, especially if it's seamless to the users, and requires very little effort from the developers.

While the transition may be seamless, Linus is correct on the fact that the actual performance increase will not be noticed by your day-to-day user or the performance increase is plain not significant enough at this point. While higher performance is good there is no point in upgrading if you go from 5 second execution time to 4 second (Making a really pulled out of my sleeve example here). 

I don't think "just use a different device" is a valid reason for halting progress on phones and tablets.

I think it's a completely valid reason to be fair (Up to a certain point, I do not accept halting forever but delayed I'm perfectly fine with). Specific platforms have specific needs in mind. A phone is not intended for heavy multitasking or advanced apps and a desktop is not intended to be easy to use for mobility. If I need to heavily multitask that I require 7 apps open (and use them all at the same time) or have 25 internet tabs with images then a laptop is a much more suitable option (They don't need to be bulky, Macbooks are a prime example here). However I must note that this is mostly personal preference.

Well I was talking about phone OSes. Not a single WP7 handset got updated to WP8. If Microsoft decided that WP9 would be 64bit only, they could do that and all of a sudden all WP9 software would have to be 64bit.

If windows decides to go 64-bit only with WP9 ahead of the rest I expect them to drop to "last place" in terms of choice because others will still support both. That would just be bad from a marketing point of view/

Well we are already seeing the benefits of having more than 2GB of RAM in phones (more VRAM helps quite a lot at 1080p and above). With the move to 64bit we will also see the RAM usage go up slightly. The power and heat increase is negligible, especially with the move to LPDDR4. It's probably not even 1mW for 1-2GB of extra RAM 8for comparison, the Galaxy S 5's 1080p display uses over 800mW by itself). The price difference is pretty negligible as well if you're looking at purely BOM cost. The cost difference between 2GB and 3GB is 1 dollar.

I did not realize that LPDDR4 was already out and used frequently. Did I completely miss it or are you assuming a scenario where LPDDR4 is already out?

The other argument I submit to your counter-argument.

It's time to leave some ancient technologies & 32bit is one of them. 32bit OS? Really? Who's still using it? How many users here use 32bit system? I doubt any financial average person has more than 4gb & it's pretty budget friendly to build 4gb+ RAM system nowdays. We just need to leave this 32bit systems, there is no necessity of them anymore.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

snip

bro, just chill.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Very well said.

And for those that don't know why compiling code for a 64-bit version, without code modification, leads to higher performance. This is the compiler itself at work that can optimize the programed code, making the program, now, use the 64-bit processors new operation codes it supports and longer instructions reducing processor workload. Basically, the compiler will do a lot of the work for the developer, and transform his or her code to be more 64-bit CPU optimized. To put it briefly.

While the transition may be seamless, Linus is correct on the fact that the actual performance increase will not be noticed by your day-to-day user or the performance increase is plain not significant enough at this point. While higher performance is good there is no point in upgrading if you go from 5 second execution time to 4 second (Making a really pulled out of my sleeve example here).

True, but remember that the ARM processor in a phone is low powered. So it's easily pushed to level where 64-bit CPU could make a difference, potentially.

Well, part of the issue is the memory and processing power is virtually dirt cheap nowadays--certainly cheaper than reworking and optimizing code. 

Well written and properly optimized code is a great thing to have....but is it worth the extra time and money that could be spent on pushing the app itself further, or working on something better.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm sorry, but for this sort of under-the-hood technical thing, I trust Anand over Linus.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Oh don't get me started on software bloat... I agree that developers need to put more effort into optimization, but in the end there is only so much optimization you can do. My usage is probably not the same as the average Joe but yesterday when I was visiting one of my favorite websites I ended up having 12 tabs in my browser open. Each tab had about 20 images in it. Each image was just a fairly small thumbnail but it still end up being a decent amount of RAM. If I had wanted to multitask, as well as keep stuff in cache for a decent amount of time, as well as having a decent amount of VRAM for my 2560x1600 screen I could probably have benefited from 4GB of RAM or maybe even more.

I think better hardware AND better software is the way forward.

Agreed. But unfortunately the side effect of devices having more RAM is sloppy coding as developers think there is no need to optimize when there's so much RAM. So we NEED to FORCE them to write better. It will be much more time consuming, but everyone will be glad they did it. But then again, maybe it's a thing, if everything worked so well then we would feel no need to purchase new and better hardware.

You sir, I like you, as you raise valid arguments and back them up with fact. :D (no homo)

Well I listed a few things a lot of people do all the time on their phones, and even if a photo renders 20% faster isn't that noticeable of a difference, many small savings can become a big saving.

In the case of AES encryption we could see 8 minute encryption time drop to 1 minute. That's very significant. It can potentially save battery life as well, since you need far less instructions (about a 30% reduction in instructions needed for the same tasks) and the faster a task is done the faster the CPU can go into idle.

I think it's a completely valid reason to be fair (Up to a certain point, I do not accept halting forever but delayed I'm perfectly fine with). Specific platforms have specific needs in mind. A phone is not intended for heavy multitasking or advanced apps and a desktop is not intended to be easy to use for mobility. If I need to heavily multitask that I require 7 apps open (and use them all at the same time) or have 25 internet tabs with images then a laptop is a much more suitable option (They don't need to be bulky, Macbooks are a prime example here). However I must note that this is mostly personal preference.

Well I have to agree with you on the phone front. However, I disagree with you when it comes to tablets. On 10" and bigger tablets (see Galaxy Pro series) you have more than enough room for multitasking.

If windows decides to go 64-bit only with WP9 ahead of the rest I expect them to drop to "last place" in terms of choice because others will still support both. That would just be bad from a marketing point of view/

Yeah dropping support for all handsets on the market again (like they did with WP7 -> WP8) would be a pretty big blow to their image.

The thing is though, you don't really have to support both. There isn't really any good reason for it. Like I said before Qualcomm already has a full lineup of 64bit chips (not all of them are released yet like the 810, but they are on their way) and I don't really see any reason to stick with 32bit if they cost about the same. In the low/mid range spectrum we aren't even talking 10 dollars, we might be talking 2 or 3 dollars. That's a pretty small amount considering the big performance difference there will be between a last gen, low/mid range CPU and a brand new, 64bit compatible CPU. So for the handset manufacturers it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Users would probably be pissed though.

I did not realize that LPDDR4 was already out and used frequently. Did I completely miss it or are you assuming a scenario where LPDDR4 is already out?

Well no Android phone with a 64bit CPU is out either. Snapdragon 810 (the high end 64bit CPU) will support LPDDR4.

The comment about LPDDR4 was not even my main argument, but rather a "it's a really really small issue now, and it will get even smaller in the future" kind of deal. Even IF it was a big deal today (which it isn't) it would be even less of a deal when we actually start seeing 64bit chips in Android and Windows handsets.

bro, just chill.

I am chill.

Agreed. But unfortunately the side effect of devices having more RAM is sloppy coding as developers think there is no need to optimize when there's so much RAM. So we NEED to FORCE them to write better. It will be much more time consuming, but everyone will be glad they did it. But then again, maybe it's a thing, if everything worked so well then we would feel no need to purchase new and better hardware.

You sir, I like you, as you raise valid arguments and back them up with fact. :D (no homo)

I like you too sir. Totally homo. :D

Awesome post, and a great point about the performance improvements achieved in some workloads simply by recompiling. I've added an annotation to the video and a link in the description to this post. Thanks for pointing that out to me. It was a clear miss.

As for performance in real world applcations, yes, it could result in an improvement in encryption performance from 8s to 1s, but when is the last time something on your phone took 8s to encrypt? I maintain that for normal people this is the sort of thing that is simply not a huge deal, and shouldn't factor into their decision to buy a phone.

As for the ecosystem, you make a good point about Apple's transition being likely to be smooth (it was also smoother on the desktop - something I should have pointed out), but I have less faith than you in Microsoft's ability to execute the transition (they already have an app quantity problem on the store. Do you really think they're going to enforce a 64-bit only policy?) and based on what I've seen of Android so far I"ll be floored if it's not a complete gong show...

As for the conclusion of the video, I still don't think 64-bit is a reason to buy a phone. At all. It's a necessary step forward, and soon you won't have a choice anyway, so that's something I should have mentioned.

gg

I love the master, but this is pure ownage. Sorry Linus. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)