Cougar CFV12HPB
Enermax Twister Pressure, Magma Advance, Cluster Advance, T.B. Vegas

Gelid Wing 12/14
Noctua NF-F12, NF-A14 FLX

Specs:

Case - Corsair Carbide 200R

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Windforce

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-L9i

So, I want to reduce temperatures within my case. Everything is running at safe temps, as far as I understand it, but I'd like to make it more difficult for my GPU to reach 80C when running graphically intensive games.

The only fans I currently have are the two 120mms that came with the case. I'd like to replace these with something better, and also add two 140mms to the top of the case. Unfortunately, I'm having a difficult time finding fans that everyone agrees are good. It largely seems to be a matter of personal preference. That said, I really have no preference. I have absolutely no experience with buying case fans.

The 120mms that come with the case are barely audible, so I'd prefer if any replacements were similarly quite. I'm flexible on this point, though. The 140mms can be louder. The consensus online is that I should use some kind of controller for those, so they can gradually become more audible as temperatures rise. If anyone has a good suggestion for a controller I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't need any LEDs or bells and whistles. My budget is nebulous at the moment, so just assume I can save up for whatever it is. I'm not going to buy anything for a few weeks.

I live in the United States, if that makes a difference.

Any advice or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

I guess SP120 or SP140 for budget fans, NF-P12, NF-F12, NF-A14 if you don't have a budget on fans and want to get the best ones. A good fan controller is a NZXT Sentry 2 or NZXT Grid 2+

My recommended fans.

Akasa Apache/Rosewill Hyperborea
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2
Bitfenix Spectre Pro
Cougar CFV12HPB

Gelid Wing 12/14

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

In before the noc.....oh wait...

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Hey,

Given how similar the Stock corsair fans are to their retail fans, I wouldn't bother replacing them with AF/SP120's. Populating the rest of the fan slots with corsair fans is a pretty good choice, given the dual packs being such good value.

Of course, I'd recommend noctua fans for the absolute best overall in performance and silence. Those become expensive fast, of course  :)

Edit: In regards to the controller, if you're using the correct splitter cables, you won't need one with PWM fans.

Hey,

Given how similar the Stock corsair fans are to their retail fans, I wouldn't bother replacing them with AF/SP120's. Populating the rest of the fan slots with corsair fans is a pretty good choice, given the dual packs being such good value.

Of course, I'd recommend noctua fans for the absolute best overall in performance and silence. Those become expensive fast, of course  :)

Edit: In regards to the controller, if you're using the correct splitter cables, you won't need one with PWM fans.

Would I be able to control PWM fans with software?

Generally yes, some people have issues with software detecting, but not changing fan speeds. In those cases you need to use the bios.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I think this will help:

overclock.net fan test

EDIT: id skip to the conclusion ;)

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..

My recommended fans.

Akasa Apache/Rosewill Hyperborea

Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2

Bitfenix Spectre Pro

Cougar CFV12HPB

Gelid Wing 12/14

This. All of these fans are excellent and any would be a good choice. Some people do prefer certain fans, but these are all great options.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Newer BIOS's have customisable PWM curves (I think all new ASUS boards have it these days, but my H77 gigabyte board does not). However, I've never found Noctua Fans to be loud enough to warrant modifying the curves

I really appreciate all of the advice that everyone has given.

I've done some research on the suggested fans, and I think I'm going to go with two 120mm Cougar CFV12HPs, and two 140mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro PWMs. The test that iExpurge linked convinced me that the Cougars are pretty quiet, while still moving a lot of air.

If that choice sounds like crazy talk, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Noiseblockers. Expensive but more silent than Noctuas even on higher rpms.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler