Overclocking G3258 on Asus H81M-K

So, I just got this pc yesterday and I wanted to OC the CPU. I updated BIOS to newest (10.02) and restarted. I can't notice any changes to the BIOS itself and I can't find where can I change the multiplier. I searched like everywhere. I tried to use Linus' guide but it didn't help me either. 

Can anyone help me out?

The problem is you're using an H81 board. Last time I checked the multiplier is locked on those.

That's new. It doesn't mention the G3258, which might be a problem.

Do you want to backtrack the BIOS to V. 0805?

"H81M-K BIOS 0805 and BIOS updater

Improve System performance

*Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool."

*Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool."

I will try to do that, will report results in a sec

Same results

Even if you flash to the latest BIOS now?

Yes. I can't find any soloutions. I can't believe I bought an unlocked Pentium and even wont be able to OC it.

Yes. I can't find any soloutions. I can't believe I bought an unlocked Pentium and even wont be able to OC it.

And you've gone through every page in the BIOS? Maybe check the manual for the motherboard and see if it says anything in there?

H81 overclocking is probably patched by a microcode by now.

Hmm, I would expect Intel to publicly announce that if they did since there's so many people doing it.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

And you've gone through every page in the BIOS? Maybe check the manual for the motherboard and see if it says anything in there?

Yes, I checked everywhere.

H81 overclocking is probably patched by a microcode by now.

What exactly does that mean?

Intel didn't intend for anything other than Z-series motherboards to have overclocking features, so they secretly roll out microcode via Windows Update that prevents the ability to overclock.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

It's kind of just the native CPU code from Intel that makes it work and have functionality like instructions (e.g. sse4).

Last year loads of vendors were coming out with overclockable B85 motherboards because a microcode bug allowed for overclocking on non Z87 (at the time) motherboards. Intel went and patched it within a month or so.

It's kind of just the native CPU code from Intel that makes it work and have functionality like instructions (e.g. sse4).

Last year loads of vendors were coming out with overclockable B85 motherboards because a microcode bug allowed for overclocking on non Z87 (at the time) motherboards. Intel went and patched it within a month or so.

why would they do so?

To get you to buy a Z97 board of course :D

that's a bummer, was buying this rig so confident I will be able to OC. Even bought an aftermarket cooler. Stock pentium it is...

that's a bummer, was buying this rig so confident I will be able to OC. Even bought an aftermarket cooler. Stock pentium it is...

return the board and grab a z97 pc mate :)