Budget CPU cooler for i7 4790K?

Nadbuddy

Hi there! I'm sick of this stupid stock cooler as it is very loud and i also want to overclock this i7-4790K i want to get roughly 4.6GHz or over.

Also i got a Cooler Master CM Force 500 Midi Tower case which is pretty small imo, I dont think i can fit a double fan CPU cooler.

Any ideas? I've searched around Google and other forums and it seems like people are suggesting the fans such as H100i which is a double CPU fan which i probably

cannot mount on my case. Gonna buy the cooler in about 2 weeks so i need suggestions quick.

If you have suggestions it'd be great if you tell me why you suggest that CPU cooler and what's special with it, I will compare all the suggestions, look them up and see how they are. :)

My budget is somewhere below $80 :)

Hi there! I'm sick of this stupid stock cooler as it is very loud and i also want to overclock this i7-4790K i got to roughly 4.6GHz or over.

Also i got a Cooler Master CM Force 500 Midi Tower case which is pretty small imo, I dont think i can fit a double fan CPU cooler.

Any ideas? I've searched around Google and other forums and it seems like people are suggesting the fans such as H100i which is a double CPU fan which i probably

cannot mount on my case. Gonna buy the cooler in about 2 weeks so i need suggestions quick.

If you have suggestions it'd be great if you tell me why you suggest that CPU cooler and what's special with it, I will compare all the suggestions, look them up and see how they are. :)

H80i, Hyper 212, or NHD14

It looks like an H105 should fit though. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Hyper 212 EVO or the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Hi there! I'm sick of this stupid stock cooler as it is very loud and i also want to overclock this i7-4790K i got to roughly 4.6GHz or over.

EDIT*

You weren't kidding.  Just looking at the specs of that case, you are going to be really limited to what CPU Cooler you can use.  Even a Hyper 212 EVO won't fit. 

You might have to go with a Kraken X31 or H55 placed as a rear exhaust

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You OC'ed on a stock cooler? 0.o

Typo, ill fix that hehe.,..

EDIT*

You weren't kidding.  Just looking at the specs of that case, you are going to be really limited to what CPU Cooler you can use.  Even a Hyper 212 EVO won't fit. 

You might have to go with a Kraken X31 or H55 placed as a rear exhaust

Well the thing is if you scroll down here https://www.komplett.se/cooler-master-cm-force-500-midi-tower/775801#!tab:info and try to find the picture where theres a fully built PC with parts in it you can see a

120mm cpu cooler with a radiator. But im still unsure about if it will fit or not anyways :P

I normally keep my side panel off for more air to come in/out and i've always had it that way.

In this case i think its a different story with the CPU coolers?

I was also looking into the H80 and it looks like it would fit as it is a single fan + radiator, the picture on the

case info shows that you can place radiator+fan right where the exhaust fan is.

I'll probably have the side panels off until i get a new case, hoping to get the R4 Fractal.

Hyper 212 EVO

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Well the thing is if you scroll down here https://www.komplett.se/cooler-master-cm-force-500-midi-tower/775801#!tab:info and try to find the picture where theres a fully built PC with parts in it you can see a

120mm cpu cooler with a radiator. But im still unsure about if it will fit or not anyways :P

I normally keep my side panel off for more air to come in/out and i've always had it that way.

In this case i think its a different story with the CPU coolers?

I was also looking into the H80 and it looks like it would fit as it is a single fan + radiator, the picture on the

case info shows that you can place radiator+fan right where the exhaust fan is.

I'll probably have the side panels off until i get a new case, hoping to get the R4 Fractal.

If your are gonna get a 120mm AIO the h80i is the only one worth getting, all the rest are crap

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

If your are gonna get a 120mm AIO the h80i is the only one worth getting, all the rest are crap

I noticed on one of the panels on the side of my case there's a x2 120mm fan slot and i wonder if i can fit a 240mm radiator there instead..

according to this video: 

at 2:12 she tells you that you can fit in a 240mm radiator right there. 

I'm still pretty unsure about this, i might give the h100i a go anyways because my store does have a 45 days return policy.

Recommendations? 

Stay away from the H80i and H100i. Both of them have mounting problems and are not guaranteed to work without a washer mod. I don't think a 240mm will fit there on the side, it looks like a weird bend. If you leave your side panel open, you can have a 240mm radiator extend out from your case. I used to do this and it worked great.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i used a hyper 212 evo for about 3 days on my i7 4790k, i would not recommend it. it cant keep up with it the temps get up to 75c under gaming load with a overclock of 4.5ghz 1.19 volts. i would recommend a NHD-14 or master seidon 240m.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Hyper evo 212?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Hi there! I'm sick of this stupid stock cooler as it is very loud and i also want to overclock this i7-4790K i want to get roughly 4.6GHz or over.

The Cooler Master CM Force 500 Midi Tower supports up to 163.9mm heatsinks for the cpu according to CM's website (for info). I do not think this case can fit a 240mm radiator because it would probably block the hard drive cages unless you are only using one drive and mounting it on the lowest point and if there is room you could put some SSDs at the back of the motherboard tray. It is possible to mount a 240mm radiator as someone did it: Where do you intend to buy this cpu cooler from?

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/cm-force-500/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The Cooler Master CM Force 500 Midi Tower supports up to 163.9mm heatsinks for the cpu according to CM's website (for info). I do not think this case can fit a 240mm radiator because it would probably block the hard drive cages unless you are only using one drive and mounting it on the lowest point and if there is room you could put some SSDs at the back of the motherboard tray. It is possible to mount a 240mm radiator as someone did it: Where do you intend to buy this cpu cooler from?

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/cm-force-500/

Well i was planning to buy it at a local store in Gothenburg called INET which is a reputable hardware shop. I could also go ask them if they could recommend something otherwise. 

At the moment i am using 3 Drives in total. 1 SSD and 2 Hard Drives so im not sure if getting a 240mm radiator would be possible then.. :(

Maximum Compatibility CPU cooler height: 163.9mm / 6.5 inch

According to this, the NH-D14 would fit your case. That's what I'd get (check your RAM modules height though).

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Well i was planning to buy it at a local store in Gothenburg called INET which is a reputable hardware shop. I could also go ask them if they could recommend something otherwise. 

At the moment i am using 3 Drives in total. 1 SSD and 2 Hard Drives so im not sure if getting a 240mm radiator would be possible then.. :(

The NH-D14 seems to be out of your budget as if I convert it to USD I get $95.53.http://www.inet.se/produkt/5322166/noctua-nh-d14

The Be-Quiet Dark Rock 3 or the Noctua NH-U12S (decreasing in budget the dark rock is 83 while the u12s is 80). The Dark Rock 3 has a CPU cooler height of 160mm while the U12S has a height of a height of 158mm and they both will fit in your case. Just make sure that your ram is shorter than 41mm

noctua_nh_u12s_dimensions.jpg on the U12S and less than 43mm for the Dark Rock 3.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Cooler Master Hyper 212 is one of the best budget coolers on the market imho.

I would recommend either the 212 evo or the nhu12s which is a fancier noctua version with a better fan.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop