Windows 8.1 (Blue): new features!

New features confirmed for Windows 8.1 (codename Blue)!

• Start button
  • Boot to desktop
  • Desktop backgrounds for start screen

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue-start-experience-changes

EDIT: Official Windows Blog post: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/30/continuing-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx

I really hope you can remove the start button...

Same. The only feature I'm actually excited about is the backgrounds for the start screen...

OK! Was not expecting the first replies to be about removing the start button!

I'm still on 7, but I'm cautiously interested in more developing information.

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

Also pumped for the visual style tweaks and smaller live tiles. Great to see Windows 8 being refined!

Do you still have to ALT F4 to close programs?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

It's fun because I thought moving to Windows 8 would be complicated because of not having a start button, but in the end, the fact that Windows 8.1 will have a start button, meh I don't really like that idea, I don't really want to go back to a Windows 7 like interface.

Other than that, the boot to desktop and the ability to change the start menu background are really great features they are going to add.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

I think the start button is mainly for people like this:

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

You mentioned only some of many new features of Windows 8.1.

But yes, I agree.. I hope there is an option to remove the Start Button.

The desktop background part is really awesome.

What will the start button do?? Is it like Windows 7 or is it just the button to the start screen that has been made visible? If the latter, I don't really mind it. I think it's fine to have it there easy to access.

This will come to RT as well, right?

Do some of you guys mind explaining about that a bit more? I'm intrigued, as 99% of what I've heard before this thread was people raging about no start button.

More importantly, are they going to make the search global again? Splitting it up made no sense to me.

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

well... im happy with this :D

Character artist in the Games industry.

Boot to Desktop is the only feature I care about.

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

What will the start button do?? Is it like Windows 7 or is it just the button to the start screen that has been made visible? If the latter, I don't really mind it. I think it's fine to have it there easy to access.

It brings up the all apps screen and thats about it...

http://www.slashgear.com/windows-8-1-start-button-wont-do-what-you-expect-29284098/

Win8_27-w1280-580x326.jpg

I wonder if you will be able to have different desktop backgrounds on different monitors? That's been the obvious thing to do for years... Silly Microsoft making me use Display Fusion...

hello

http://www.slashgear.com/windows-8-1-start-button-wont-do-what-you-expect-29284098/

So how do I access the Start Menu with all my tiles?

I'm really happy they are not bringing back the Windows 7 start menu. It works great but it makes absolutely no sense in Windows 8. It would be pointless to have since the Start Menu does the same and more.

Sounds like few changes.

It should been this way in the beginning and the name should have been Windows 7.5

I use i5-3470, 8GB kingston, SSD + 2x hdd, GTX 970

As long as all of the new features are optional, I'm looking forward to this a lot.

Don't forget about the 4-way "split screen".

True, although I think it's more or less than 4 depending on the size of your screen.

Do you still have to ALT F4 to close programs?

You can drag the app down from the top, just like you always could...

Why even bother bringing the start button back if you're going to make it completely useless....

It launches the start screen. People were complaining about the lack of a start button (and start menu, yes I know), so there it is.

This will come to RT as well, right?

Launches the start screen, not the all apps window. And yeah, probably.

Do some of you guys mind explaining about that a bit more? I'm intrigued, as 99% of what I've heard before this thread was people raging about no start button.

More importantly, are they going to make the search global again? Splitting it up made no sense to me.

I think people were raging at the lack of both the start button and the start menu (vs. the start screen). And yes, I believe the search charm is now global.

I wonder if you will be able to have different desktop backgrounds on different monitors? That's been the obvious thing to do for years... Silly Microsoft making me use Display Fusion...

I thought you could in Windows 8?

Same. The only feature I'm actually excited about is the backgrounds for the start screen...

Which should have been implemented at launch.

I'm actually getting Windows 8 in two days... Then I'll actually be able to comment on the differences between 7, 8 and 8.1 YAY :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

They should call that boot to Chaos :lol:  really who wants to see that on boot up? I'd prefer a boot with listing of what is going on like Linux/Unix then I log in and I get a command prompt or small search app where I type what I want and it brings that up, not a list of every app on my system as who will want to use the calculator on boot up :huh:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.