X-8 Featuring White Lightning. An 8 core Hackintosh...

ALXAndy

It's looking really nice :) but how does the cooler work?

It's looking really nice :) but how does the cooler work?

If you look at this pic here you can see it.

3_zpsdcc9a4e2.jpg

The fan draws air in and passes it up over the fins, which are covered to make sure the air flow stays over the fins. That's basically what the cover does, allows the air to remain in a straight line :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Coming up next is the main IO panel as I've named it. If you look into the case you will see how this will fit. It runs parallel to the motherboard running upwards.

2_zps0fa19b80.jpg

3_zps929e3e93.jpg

That is basically what the 5mm black sheet of acrylic is for. Many holes need to be drilled in it (I would say about 70+) lol so I've again created a rod. Not an issue though, I'll do all of those before I cut it out, so there will be a far less chance of any cracking or splitting.

Think that one's gonna be a bit of a headphone job haha. Just get something calm playing (David Gray?) and then drilling frenzy :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Coming up next is the main IO panel as I've named it. If you look into the case you will see how this will fit. It runs parallel to the motherboard running upwards.

That is basically what the 5mm black sheet of acrylic is for. Many holes need to be drilled in it (I would say about 70+) lol so I've again created a rod. Not an issue though, I'll do all of those before I cut it out, so there will be a far less chance of any cracking or splitting.

Think that one's gonna be a bit of a headphone job haha. Just get something calm playing (David Gray?) and then drilling frenzy :D

So what's the point of this? :P My brain doesn't seem to be working today xD

\

It completely covers the entire remaining interior. So there will be nothing on show at all.

It will have 3mm holes drilled in for each and every wire that needs to come into the case (24 pin and all of the PCIE power wires) and they will be sent through individually so the inside remains completely clean.

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I have a very photographic brain (I'm autistic) so I can basically look at a pile of old shit and then completely build it in my mind with photos to show me how it will look. So this project has been like that.

Being autistic I tend to do pretty much everything different to 'normal' human beings (or Neurotypicals as we call them). Thus, it will all be a bit strange and chaotic, but the finished article will no doubt look the part.

OK it was time to mark it out. This will not make any sense yet...

4_zpsbe8ba119.jpg

Then drill lots of holes.

5_zps99e296d4.jpg

Then cut it out.

6_zps5d6f393d.jpg

It looks like a dog's arse at the moment but don't worry, I've done the two hours of sanding it needed and polished up the edges.

It doesn't quite fit yet because there's a chunk of metal in the way. I have some serious cutting to do next to remove more pig iron from the shell of the case so that everything fits as it should and I can route the wires.

More to come soon :)

Ah now I see how that cover is going to work :P

There will be one more made for the side of the 5.25 bay. There will also be a floor stand in white and black for the hard drive, so by the time I'm finished there will be very little of the original insides left.

And another job is done.

2_zps9b6fe354.jpg

And another job is done.

I'm so jelly at the speed you can get stuff done. I'm to poor to progress with mine at a fast rate.....

\

Speed? hahaha ! no chance mate. That just took me about two hours !

I had to extend the cables (so basically 8 solder joints, that's a lot of tinning and soldering !) and then heat shrink the joins before braiding them up.

I've spent many, many hours doing things you won't even see tbh. I was just thinking to myself as I posted that "Shit man, these people really don't know how much work goes into something like this !".

I've extended and braided 4 LEDs. 5 or so case wires (for the power) the fans.. It just goes on and on. I reckon at least 20 hours of braiding so far, and I have 24 + 22 left to do :S

I've also cut the case now. So basically it's clear behind the cable holes and has a channel for me to run the wires down so I can get them through it.

But I can see light at the end of the tunnel now :) I'm just praying I can find the logo for the front of the machine. It seems to have gone missing, and it cost me a good few quid..

Speed? hahaha ! no chance mate. That just took me about two hours !

I had to extend the cables (so basically 8 solder joints, that's a lot of tinning and soldering !) and then heat shrink the joins before braiding them up.

I've spent many, many hours doing things you won't even see tbh. I was just thinking to myself as I posted that "Shit man, these people really don't know how much work goes into something like this !".

I've extended and braided 4 LEDs. 5 or so case wires (for the power) the fans.. It just goes on and on. I reckon at least 20 hours of braiding so far, and I have 24 + 22 left to do :S

I've also cut the case now. So basically it's clear behind the cable holes and has a channel for me to run the wires down so I can get them through it.

But I can see light at the end of the tunnel now :) I'm just praying I can find the logo for the front of the machine. It seems to have gone missing, and it cost me a good few quid..

Still faster than what I can produce :P

\

Still faster than what I can produce :P

It's all down to practice tbh. The TVR build was where I cut my teeth on full braiding and so on. But sadly I lost enthusiasm for that rig so I broke it down and gave it away.

I've got a bit of work left to do on the black cover panel. Once that's done I can perma fit it (it's getting bolted in) and then I can finally (and it will be the final job) braid the PSU through the holes. Never done that before, so will need to concentrate hard (I've seen what an incorrectly wired PSU can do and it ain't pretty !).

It's all down to practice tbh. The TVR build was where I cut my teeth on full braiding and so on. But sadly I lost enthusiasm for that rig so I broke it down and gave it away.

I've got a bit of work left to do on the black cover panel. Once that's done I can perma fit it (it's getting bolted in) and then I can finally (and it will be the final job) braid the PSU through the holes. Never done that before, so will need to concentrate hard (I've seen what an incorrectly wired PSU can do and it ain't pretty !).

My main issue is that I don't have the funding to order the stuff I need to progress but I might have a solution.

\

My main issue is that I don't have the funding to order the stuff I need to progress but I might have a solution.

Here in the UK we're really fucking lucky tbh. That braiding cost me.. (one sec..) £4.99 for 100ft. It's not enough obviously but it's a start. It's not very high grade (you can see colour through it when the light hits it) but it's fine for hidden wires and so on.

I will order a higher grade for the PSU. I've already got 50ft of high grade which was £3.95 delivered. That's what I will be using on the PSU.

This whole project (well, minus the computer hardware so PSU ram mobo CPU etc) has cost £100 so far. That's what the case will stand me in when done. Overall? easily less than £400 all in. If you went to Apple and bought a spec like this you'd be looking at £2500 easily.

Can't wait tbh. Really looking forward to playing with OSX.

Morning all. I decided last night after much deliberation to use this for the PSU wiring.

paracord_zpse9f0dba0.jpg

Only snag is I don't have enough funds to buy it until next week. So, expect a small hiatus on the build as I want to do it right.

This gets more interesting each update :D

Cheers. Today I have some more cutting to do to finalise the case. Once that's done I can work on the mount for the hard drive. So theoretically today the case itself should be finished providing everything goes well. Then it should be just building the PC and doing all of that braiding and wiring.

Well I wouldn't say that hehe. The wiring is going to take an absolute age tbh. But yeah, as far as fabrication goes? it's almost there. Just got back from doing all of the final cutting etc, so test fit in a minute once I've cleaned all of the parts :)

Little bit of cutting and drilling and....

1_zpse74dd920.jpg

OK guys so this will be the last update before I go on a little hiatus due to lack of funds. I do have some things to do but none will be worth picturing.

So here is the case.

1_zpsc871e1df.jpg

As you can see, it's quite heavily cut now. And here is where the project stands.

2_zpsc1904970.jpg

I now have to repair both the power and reset buttons as the wires got caught and they both ripped out. Doh. 

Quick update. So a couple of Paypal refunds started coming in from dodgy sellers so I have ordered some paracord. Should be here within a couple of days :)

Today paranoia got the better of me so I did this.

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

Memory.

DSC00037.jpg

And the CPU.

DSC00038.jpg

Now obviously I've never taken a motherboard apart before so I was pretty para. Turns out everything made it through and works fine. Phew !