X-8 Featuring White Lightning. An 8 core Hackintosh...

ALXAndy

Just bought 50ft of this.

-snip-

Will probably do the PSU. Only the power connectors though. Drive wiring will be hidden any way.

Nicholas - thanks ! I will definitely be asking a lot of questions. One for you now though, what is the latest OS I can install? is it Mavericks or ML?

Yes, I'd assume Mavericks is the way to go. Yosemite DP 6 or 7 are out but I don't expect all the hackintosh stuff to work with that as of now...

Love Macs too, they are great. The thing is that Apple sadly does not offer a desktop option that is appealing to me. This is where these machines come in.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Someone shat in my pants!

It is beautiful!

Hold it in brother, you ain't seen the cooling yet ;)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Hold it in brother, you ain't seen the cooling yet ;)

Can we see the cooling? PLEAAAASSSEEE?!

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Can we see the cooling? PLEAAAASSSEEE?!

It's not ready yet. Like the Lightning it's a bit of an epic job, and I don't have everything for it yet. I also ran out of white paint, so have ordered more.

Just think Apple...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men..... Willy Wonka.

teaser.jpg

To be continued.....

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

It's not ready yet. Like the Lightning it's a bit of an epic job, and I don't have everything for it yet. I also ran out of white paint, so have ordered more.

Just think Apple...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men..... Willy Wonka.

Yeah that GPU looks beast! Well, I guess I'll check it out when it's ready. Good luck my friend!

Update. So today I needed to do some pretty intensive cutting. The top area where the fans fit in was pressed so it faced upwards into the top. The issue I had with that is that it fouled my floating fans. Time to remove it...

1_zpsb81ecf8a.jpg

More pig iron.

2_zps224e6683.jpg

And then....

3_zps6bf276c6.jpg

OK that's two coats inside and out :)

4_zps441970ac.jpg

And my liberated floating fans. These will become part of the top when I'm finished.

5_zps6f4d9b70.jpg

I also removed the power supply I need for the build today, simply switching it out with the crap one I bought.

did you just use 2 coat of one coat paint??

That is hardcore

Rule #1 of Fight Club, there is no such thing as one coat paint....

OK so today I had two jobs to do. 1. Rewire the San Ace fan to comply with a regular 4 pin PWM. 2. Build the cooler.

So first up I rewired the fan.

1_zps067945d7.jpg

And then have some fun with it. I connected it to BPM and installed MSI Command Center.

2_zps5555fbc1.jpg

And videoed the testing procedure.

Trust me, it's not for the faint of heart.... Thankfully I can make it no louder than the ambient noise of BPM, so I may shove a 7v resistor on the live wire..

And then it was time for the cooler.

1_zps76ab1cb5.jpg

2_zpsf7f643db.jpg

And here is where the fan lives.

3_zpsf791f92c.jpg

iCooler.

Afternoon all. Been another busy day for me yet one with a little disappointment.

The parts I need to finish the top are not here. The parts I need to start braiding the PSU are not here and then yesterday I ran out of solder and heat shrink. I should have prioritised all of that before I started building but that stuff lasts a while and I just didn't check.

Any way, as I said I am very busy, and here is a teaser of what's to come.

1_zps77903d0a.jpg

that is the fan that will cool the CPU?

I mean they usually WC them with dual rads....

that is the fan that will cool the CPU?

I mean they usually WC them with dual rads....

Yup and there's no point here. This is, at full pelt, a 90w CPU. At regular desktop use it eats a mere 14 watts. There's no need going overboard. It can not be overclocked, so that's why I went with something that Apple would make rather than going mental on cooling a locked CPU.

It's still very powerful. With the Turbo multi forced on it runs at 2ghz on all 8 cores and produces results similar to a 4.9ghz AMD FX 8320. It uses about 1/3 of the power to do so.

I don't want any headaches with anything containing water. This will likely be a 24/7 machine as I will run it as a web server, so reliability is key :)

Yup and there's no point here. This is, at full pelt, a 90w CPU. At regular desktop use it eats a mere 14 watts. There's no need going overboard. It can not be overclocked, so that's why I went with something that Apple would make rather than going mental on cooling a locked CPU.

It's still very powerful. With the Turbo multi forced on it runs at 2ghz on all 8 cores and produces results similar to a 4.9ghz AMD FX 8320. It uses about 1/3 of the power to do so.

I don't want any headaches with anything containing water. This will likely be a 24/7 machine as I will run it as a web server, so reliability is key :)

somehow I had 5960x in my mind because of the title, I just saw that you use a xeon....

Sorry :(

somehow I had 5960x in my mind because of the title, I just saw that you use a xeon....

Sorry :(

No worries man.

Yeah it doesn't need an awful lot of cooling really. I doubt it'll ever break a sweat running where it is :)

No worries man.

Yeah it doesn't need an awful lot of cooling really. I doubt it'll ever break a sweat running where it is :)

Not like you guys get hot weather anyway :P

\

Not like you guys get hot weather anyway :P

lmao true that !

Gotta say though this summer has been particularly lovely. I live 200ft from the sea, so it's nice to drop the tools and just walk right in :D

It's actually unseasonably warm right now for this time of year, with highs of 24c with high humidity. I fully suspect that by the time X8 is finished those temps would have diminished into the low 10s.

@ALXAndy highs of 24c the last few summers we've been getting highs of 40c+ for weeks on end and on top of that the state tends to burn down :(

Little guy FTW :D

Cooler was free, fan was free, braiding and acrylic cost me around 50 pence hehe.

@ALXAndy highs of 24c the last few summers we've been getting highs of 40c+ for weeks on end and on top of that the state tends to burn down :(

Yeah that's pretty insane. The GTX Lightning was donated to me ages ago by an employee of Asus. He resides in Taiwan, where the summers easily hit 40c with 98% humidity. That's why all of the chrome parts of it are discoloured grey.

Angry ...

So yesterday my vinyl and acrylic sheet had still not arrived. I contacted both sellers and both insisted they had sent the stuff, yet have agreed to send again.

I got up this morning and left my flat, only to find a package hanging out of my letter box on the outside. So no doubt the postman has done that out of laziness and two packages have been stolen.

Fucking.Fuming.

Will complain to both the post office and Royal Mail. How can you leave things hanging out into the public like that ?!?!?!