Corsair H100i - noisy

Go to solution Solved by loccilucas,

well, the h100i is a pretty loud cooler anyway, try  unplugging the pump while its on and seeing if the noise goes, then that will determine if its the pump for fans making the noise.

Hi guys,

I've seen people talking about how they can't hear their Corsair H100i unless they put their head inside the case or something like that. My H100i is definitely audible from about 1m away when it's closed inside a Corsair Obsidian 450D case. Does this mean I have a defective pump? I don't think it's the fans although the ones im using are Corsair (2x SP120 QE PWM-4pin) which are both running in quiet mode in Corsair link (1000 rpm) and the noise is still audible. In HWMonitor the pump is said to be running at 2300 rpm.

Fans in case

Two Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition (one in the back and one is sitting at the bottom) - Both running around 1000 rpm

Two Original Corsair (in front) - Both running around 650 rpm

PSU is Corsair AX860

GPU Gigabyte 760GTX

Cooler H100i

It's a gentle whirring sound, but high-pitched enough for me to find it annoying. I tried capturing the noise with my phone, let me know what you guys think about it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBx-ue8GarI

Thanks! :)

Video is private :( put it to 'unlisted'

Can you stick your head inside the case and tell me where the sound is coming from?

Unplug both your H100i fans and see if you still hear the noise.

Also, how new is the H100i?

@skaftisveins

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well, the h100i is a pretty loud cooler anyway, try  unplugging the pump while its on and seeing if the noise goes, then that will determine if its the pump for fans making the noise.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I have an H100i and I can't hear it unless my fans are on max speed.

The video should be set as unlisted now, please try again :)

The sound is coming from the radiator area or the fans which are mounted on it pushing the hot air out of the case.

I got the  H100i in July, so brand new.

I'm not so sure about unplugging my pump when the computer is turned on =/

also not comfortable to unplug both fans in same situation.

Yeah for me it sounds like the fans. I guess to get less noise you have to run them under 1000rpm. BTW; even with my NF-F12s (not a full speed ofc) I can hear fan noise because the densely packed finns of the rad create quite some turbulance.

A noisy pump usually rattles, and in your video I did not hear that noise my faulty unit produced, so it should be ok.

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

Yeah for me it sounds like the fans. I guess to get less noise you have to run them under 1000rpm. BTW; even with my NF-F12s (not a full speed ofc) I can hear fan noise because the densely packed finns of the rad create quite some turbulance.

A noisy pump usually rattles, and in your video I did not hear that, so it should be ok.

Here's the funny part. When I play with speed on those monsters in corsair link i can get them as low as 350 rpm. Still the noise is there and does not change at all. Is the H100i pump really that loud???  <_<

Here's the funny part. When I play with speed on those monsters in corsair link i can get them as low as 350 rpm. Still the noise is there and does not change at all. Is the H100i pump really that loud???  <_<

How did you mount the rad? Maybe the case vibrates and amplyfies the noise? In this case some rubber washers could help... In my case I really can't hear the pump outside the system.

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

it's mounted in the top of the case with push set-up. The radiator is fastened with 6 screws at top which all have rubber-washers. The fans sitting upside-down on the radiator are fastened with 8 screws. What else could I do to ensure the setup is not vibrating.

if you want to see the same setup running at 350 rpm's then go ahead

This is so strange :/

it's mounted in the top of the case with push set-up. The radiator is fastened with 6 screws at top which all have rubber-washers. The fans sitting upside-down on the radiator are fastened with 8 screws. What else could I do to ensure the setup is not vibrating.

if you want to see the same setup running at 350 rpm's then go ahead

This is so strange :/

I'm 90% sure it's the fans. The stock PWM fans that come with the H100i didn't work for me either. They made a grinding noise, but when I turned them up to their max speed the noise would go away but the fans were extremely loud.

I would try replacing your fans, and that will probably solve the problem.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well here's the thing, i'm not using stock PWM fans :)

I bought sp120 3pin. although what I got in my case is sp120 4pin PWM (the store obviously gave me the wrong box, sine my receipt say SP120 3pin.

same as here

corsair-casing-fan-12cm-quiet-edition-sp

You think this PWM version of SP120 could be acting like the one that come with H100i ?

Just unplug the fans, turn the system on, listen, and then you will know! Simples!

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

If i stop both fans nothing changes.When i unplug the pump the noise goe away. Faulty pump with annoying whirr whirr noise.