Bad Hard Drive?

MetaDrow

boot time on other computer its about 30 seconds which is half the time of my computer 1 minute +, so half is the hard drive but where does the rest of the delay come from? is it just the hard drive?

See if there are fast boot options in your bios, look at boot options, etc.

CPU: Intel i5-2320 @ 3.9gHz

GPU: MSI GTX 670 PE @ 1411/7387

I wanna go fast! :P

checked the bios settings, normal boot and fast boot makes no difference... I give up, Ill just get an ssd and try that, if that doesnt work Ill come back to this topic

After reading the whole thread, it sounds like a motherboard BIOS issue. And a weird/rare one at that. 

I would RMA the board and just get a new one. The problem, as they will ask, being that it randomly causes freezing and you've tested everything else (OS, HDD, RAM, etc etc) and it doesn't seem to be any of that.

Your MoBo might have a BIOS bug that needs to be updated. You could try updating the BIOS but if you brick it, you'll have to get a new BIOS chip either way. 

Up to you, but those are your two choices from what I can see. Update BIOS and see if that fixes it, or RMA the Motherboard.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

After reading the whole thread, it sounds like a motherboard BIOS issue. And a weird/rare one at that. 

I would RMA the board and just get a new one. The problem, as they will ask, being that it randomly causes freezing and you've tested everything else (OS, HDD, RAM, etc etc) and it doesn't seem to be any of that.

Your MoBo might have a BIOS bug that needs to be updated. You could try updating the BIOS but if you brick it, you'll have to get a new BIOS chip either way. 

Up to you, but those are your two choices from what I can see. Update BIOS and see if that fixes it, or RMA the Motherboard.

But he put the hard drive in another PC and it the same speed issues unless that PC is also faulty

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

But he put the hard drive in another PC and it the same speed issues unless that PC is also faulty

No, look at this post:

MetaDrow, on 01 Jun 2013 - 8:04 PM, said:

boot time on other computer its about 30 seconds which is half the time of my computer 1 minute +, so half is the hard drive but where does the rest of the delay come from? is it just the hard drive?

30 seconds on a Hard Drive is normal imo. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

yeah... I might have to get a different motherboard, on Samsung 840 pro its delaying 9-10 seconds from "starting windows" to windows logo. The ssd speeds most of the problem away but there shouldn't be a delay in the first place, also the bios is up to date already. Any motherboard suggestions that fits an AMD FX 6300? (preferably an ASUS board because I like the software that they give)

I know your past this point but did you try a simple system restore? I've had symptoms like that on my computer. If I cant fix it with spybot s&d or ccleaner then I usually do a system restore (with win 7). This seems to work good with my hdd's..

No, look at this post:

30 seconds on a Hard Drive is normal imo. 

I was referring to this, I thought it was the same result.

'FireFox, on 02 Jun 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:snapback.png

Do you have another PC?

If so I'd transplant the drive and see if that does anything, might be a little stupid on my part but might be worth a shot.

same problem'

I don't know how to quote but that is it

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

i have never heard of a bad cpu unless it fries along with the motherboard. try a different hard drive first

You can definitely have a bad CPU without a bad motherboard. It's happened to me.

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) | Core i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB @ stock

8GB G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133MHz | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 3x500GB RAID 5 | DVD-RW

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

You can definitely have a bad CPU without a bad motherboard. It's happened to me.

How?

I've never come across a bad CPU in 15+ years apart from people burning them out.

I honestly don't know what happened. The system was giving blue screens and after trading out some other components it looked the CPU was to blame. Replaced it and everything's been fine ever since. Google it; it happens.

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

I honestly don't know what happened. The system was giving blue screens and after trading out some other components it looked the CPU was to blame. Replaced it and everything's been fine ever since. Google it; it happens.

So I should replace the motherboard and cpu?

If you can do it for free, then yes. Do the mobo first as it's more likely to be the issue. Have you tried flashing the BIOS to a newer version?

If you can do it for free, then yes. Do the mobo first as it's more likely to be the issue. Have you tried flashing the BIOS to a newer version?

flashing it as in updating it, then yes I have.

yeah... I might have to get a different motherboard, on Samsung 840 pro its delaying 9-10 seconds from "starting windows" to windows logo. The ssd speeds most of the problem away but there shouldn't be a delay in the first place, also the bios is up to date already. Any motherboard suggestions that fits an AMD FX 6300? (preferably an ASUS board because I like the software that they give)

Take your pick: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#sort=a6&m=8

All those motherboards will work with a 6300 and are from ASUS. I love that site. Great for looking at builds with prices.

I would try RMA'ing your mobo first. Then if that fails, buy a new one. However, if you could test your motherboard in a new system, I would do that. Lots of work, but it's better than buying a new one. 

† Christian Member †

I know it happens (anything engineered can just fail) but it's so rare I don't allocate any thinking power to it lol

hmm Ive noticed that when watching youtube videos, there are colour glitches, does flash player depend on cpu?

hmm Ive noticed that when watching youtube videos, there are colour glitches, does flash player depend on cpu?

Depends. Are you using onboard graphics? That's on the CPU and I would assume they are related. 

If it isn't your onboard graphics, then that's a video problem and I don't think it's related. It could just be flash. Flash is weird.

† Christian Member †

Depends. Are you using onboard graphics? That's on the CPU and I would assume they are related. 

If it isn't your onboard graphics, then that's a video problem and I don't think it's related. It could just be flash. Flash is weird.

Using Geforce GTS 450, its probably just flash. I was just thinking that it could be the AMD sata controller that is causing the delay for boot

So after I replaced the motherboard and upgraded the cpu to AMD 8350, everything seems to be running fine but "starting windows" to windows logo takes 7-9 seconds, is that normal for an ssd? Note: Running OS on Samsung 840 pro

Maybe you just have alot of spamware/background programs for your computer to start up when it boots? Try opening the task manager and checking what applications and processes you're running.

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

Maybe you just have alot of spamware/background programs for your computer to start up when it boots? Try opening the task manager and checking what applications and processes you're running.

A fresh copy of windows takes 7-9 seconds on an ssd? That doesnt seem normal, well if its just this and everything is working fine, I'm not going to be picky.

A fresh copy of windows takes 7-9 seconds on an ssd? That doesnt seem normal, well if its just this and everything is working fine, I'm not going to be picky.

yeah, I get around 7-9 seconds on my vertex SSD too. It used to be a bit faster, but after a couple of months, the time lengthened dramatically.

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake