Bad Hard Drive?

MetaDrow

My WD Black 500GB has recently been acting weird, Startup takes longer than normal it shows "Starting Windows" takes about 9-11 seconds before the windows logo shows and random freezes from time to time. Ive run many test and they show no signs of it being wrong and even ran Memtest86 to check if it was the RAM, which showed nothing. Could this hard drive be going bad? Please let me know asap so I can replace it.

could be the hdd, try make a full image of it just in case it dies.

also run this program to see if it tells you that the disk is dying http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

MoBo: GA-z77x-ud3h CPU: 2500K @ 3.1 (miss my h80) Cooler: Stock GPU: EVGA 780 ACX RAM: 8gb G.skill SSDs: 2X Sammy 120EVOs HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracudas PSU: Corsair RM750 Case: Blue NZXT H440

Yeah let us know what kind of results you get from CrystalDiskInfo

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

what tests did you ran.

Also post image of crystal disk info.

How old is the hard drive?

Might be starting to get worn, you never know.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Sorry for the late reply, didnt click "follow this topic" anyways thank you for your suggestion, CrystalDickinfo showed that the drive is good, same with WD's drive test. This hard drive isnt that old, I got it about 3 months ago and windows takes over a minute to load after reinstalling updates...

post-5791-0-77802500-1369943315.jpg

Sorry for the late reply, didnt click "follow this topic" anyways thank you for your suggestion, CrystalDickinfo showed that the drive is good, same with WD's drive test. This hard drive isnt that old, I got it about 3 months ago and windows takes over a minute to load after reinstalling updates...

Well I'd say the drive is good then, must be something to do with Windows

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I would run the following things from the following programs:

Speedfan - Extended test on HDD. Should take about 10-30 minutes at most
Malware Bytes (or equivalent preferred Antimalware) - Basic scan of everything. Should take an hour at most.
Spybot (or equivalent preferred Antispyware) - Basic scan of everything. Should take an hour at most.
Avast (or equivalent preferred Antivirus) - Deep scan of everything (turn all the sensitivity type settings to max/highest). Leave it on over night.
CCleaner - Clean out your everything. Check Registry and "fix" all errors that come up.  Should take 5 minutes at most.
Memtest86 - Run the basic test. Leave it running for 6-8 hours to be absolutely certain it's not your RAM. Can be run alongside your AV scan.

After that, if it's still acting up, move all your files and re-install Windows. Then make an image of that fresh Windows install so that next time it's faster and easier.

If that doesn't fix it, I don't know what would. Good luck.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I would run the following things from the following programs:

Speedfan - Extended test on HDD. Should take about 10-30 minutes at most

Malware Bytes (or equivalent preferred Antimalware) - Basic scan of everything. Should take an hour at most.

Spybot (or equivalent preferred Antispyware) - Basic scan of everything. Should take an hour at most.

Avast (or equivalent preferred Antivirus) - Deep scan of everything (turn all the sensitivity type settings to max/highest). Leave it on over night.

CCleaner - Clean out your everything. Check Registry and "fix" all errors that come up.  Should take 5 minutes at most.

Memtest86 - Run the basic test. Leave it running for 6-8 hours to be absolutely certain it's not your RAM. Can be run alongside your AV scan.

After that, if it's still acting up, move all your files and re-install Windows. Then make an image of that fresh Windows install so that next time it's faster and easier.

If that doesn't fix it, I don't know what would. Good luck.

Speedfan - no change, still says good

Malware bytes - formated the drive

Spybot - formated the drive

Avast - nothing detected and formated the drive

CCleaner - fixed some errors but still no change

Memtest - left on for 5-6 hours with no errors, was a pass

Did a fresh install of windows twice and still "starting windows" freeze for 1min+ then windows logo

Thanks for the help but nothing is showing why theres a slow boot, should I just get a new drive and/or upgrade to windows 8?

It seems like a hardware issue. In your bios, are all of your sata ports set to AHCI mode? I know this is really only beneficial to SSDs, but it could help in your case as well. 

I am whatever I am. 

How fast is the hard drive? As in read/write speeds? CrystalDiskMark can do that for you.

CPU: Intel i5-2320 @ 3.9gHz

GPU: MSI GTX 670 PE @ 1411/7387

I wanna go fast! :P

It seems like a hardware issue. In your bios, are all of your sata ports set to AHCI mode? I know this is really only beneficial to SSDs, but it could help in your case as well. 

Most setting are on default so yes sata ports are set to AHCI mode

How fast is the hard drive? As in read/write speeds? CrystalDiskMark can do that for you.

I posted CrystalDiskinfo if thats the same

post-5791-0-49909300-1370036597.jpg

CrystalDiskMark is a different program. Tests read/write speeds. Maybe your drive is just slow?

Here is the results of CrystalDiskMark

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

I can't see there being a problem with the hard drive itself, I can't think of anything else to try.

Yeah. Your hard drive looks absolutely fine. Maybe your windows installation doesn't like your system... I can't explain it.

Yeah. Your hard drive looks absolutely fine. Maybe your windows installation doesn't like your system... I can't explain it.

Maybe a reinstall and take it from there, if that doesn't solve it when that would be even more confusing lol

Maybe a reinstall and take it from there, if that doesn't solve it when that would be even more confusing lol

They already tried a full reinstall..

They already tried a full reinstall..

Ohh well that is weird

This is so confusing... I followed everybody suggestion, Thank you by the way.

This is so confusing... I followed everybody suggestion, Thank you by the way.

Do you have another hard drive, if so it may be worth installing the OS on that and see if there is any difference.

Is your BIOS boot order correct? It should look for a hard drive first, not the dvd drive, usb, etc.

As suggested before just try using another drive, even if the program detects there's no error and I'm guessing you already tried chkdsk parameter methods there might be an actual error that can't be detected within the drive.

try installing a different copy of OS.

Is your BIOS boot order correct? It should look for a hard drive first, not the dvd drive, usb, etc.

does that matter? it shouldnt affect the OS boot time

Ill try using a drive from a another computer, I dont have any spare drives beside that at the moment