Avg Download Speed on gigabit LAN

N3rot0xin

Something I've been wondering since i've moved and upgrade internet, is how fast I can actually download things (such as/mainly torrents) on my new network. I originally assumed it would be around 5mbps, but its about half of that. I assumed that 5 because ISP-provided connection is around 25mbps (22 actual, see image below for most recent test). My best torrent downloads are capping pretty consistently around 2.5, occasionally climbing to 2.6, but still not as high as I thought it should be. I'm currently connected to my router via a gigabit lan cable (confirmed to be actual gigabit, jacks on both ends are gBit). I already know that download speeds arent going to be close to the 22, but over a gBit i would've thought higher then 2.5/.6 could be achieved. My first thought was drivers, so i checked mine and they are the latest and greatest from my mobo vendor. Second thought is my client, uTorrent. But I don't know enough about that to configure it optimally. So I am here. Do i just need to accept the speeds for what they are, or is there something I'm missing?

3730045434.png

I am whatever I am. 

Are you converting MB/s to Mb/s?

Because 22 Mb/s (your internet speed) is about 2.5 MB/s (which is how uTorrent displays transfer rates) 

..........I feel dumb. I never even thought of that. goddamnit 

:mellow:

I am whatever I am. 

Well 22 Megabits = 2.7MegaBytes

So there's nothing wrong with your connection it's going full speed, consider yourself lucky my lnternet is 10 times slower than your's.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

Well 22 Megabits = 2.7MegaBytes

So there's nothing wrong with your connection it's going full speed, consider yourself lucky my lnternet is 10 times slower than your's.

I should be considering myself lucky. I used to be on ATT at like, 10mbps. Which was the same as 0mbps because service in our area at the time was out.. all the time. 

I am whatever I am. 

There's 8 bits in a byte. So to covert 22Mb/s to MB/s, just divide 22 by 8. Just some really simple math :)

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I should be considering myself lucky. I used to be on ATT at like, 10mbps. Which was the same as 0mbps because service in our area at the time was out.. all the time. 

well your still lucky because i have like 7 mbps and the download speed isn't that fast for steam.

Are you converting MB/s to Mb/s?

Because 22 Mb/s (your internet speed) is about 2.5 MB/s (which is how uTorrent displays transfer rates) 

..........I feel dumb. I never even thought of that. goddamnit 

:mellow:

Yep as pointed out, network speed is measured in multiple kinds of units (Megabits - Mb or Mbit, and MegaBytes - MB). It can get a little confusing, but the speed you see in your torrent client or browser is generally MegaBytes (MB), and your network speed as advertised by your ISP (and shown on speed tests) is generally Megabits (Mb).

So your speed is as it should be. With that in mind, using Gigabit LAN cables (In specific relation to his internet speed ONLY) won't affect your internet speed whatsoever. Your speed is 25Mbit. Cat5 (old school) cables are 10/100 "Fast" Ethernet, which are rated for 100Mbit. Gigabit cables (Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a, etc) are rated for 1000Mbit. In either case, your internet speed isn't fast enough to even slow down 10/100 Ethernet.

However, it's ALWAYS best to use Gigabit if at all possible, as it will ensure your LAN speeds between various devices inside the network is speedy and quick (such as file transfers or streaming between computers).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

First thing is check your modem, it tells you the exact speed you are getting normally in Kbps.

I never rely on speedtest Ookla as it is always a false positive, even many ISP's dont rely on it!

First thing is check your modem, it tells you the exact speed you are getting normally in Kbps.

I never rely on speedtest Ookla as it is always a false positive, even many ISP's dont rely on it!

His download speeds match his connection perfectly. The OP just didn't account for the conversion from Megabits to MegaBytes.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)