The truth about Beats by Dre.

SpyRosL

Exactly, many in the U.S. of A forget that what applies to them do NOT necessarily apply to those in, say Europe and Asia. The only way a retailer here would accept an open box item is if it's faulty, they can then return the faulty item to the distributor for a replacement. IF it's after one week, an open box item cannot be taken to the retailer, you'd then have to got to the distributor to get anything done.....worse case scenario, you get an exact model replacement....no different brand product! No store credit! Zip! Nada!

Backing it up, from Indonesia (southeast Asia) here. Same thing, if it's faulty/broken, you can exchange it for the exact product (kinda like RMA, but because it's newly bought, the store takes the responsibility). If it's working, but you don't like it, well tough sh*t, you get nothing. 

There are some stores that are 'good guy Gregs', usually if you shop there often and/or you befriended the owner. Buy it, take it home, open and test it VERY carefully. If you don't like it, exchange it with another one. If it's opened and tested very carefully, it can be resealed and sold as new. Yeah, grey area....:)

They are entitled to an informed opinion, not an opinion. If after sitting down and trying out other solutions, they find the Beats to be the best option, fine. But you can't just get Beats and then say "THEY ARE THE BEST I'VE EVER TRIED!!!" when they are the ONLY headphones you've ever tried. This applies to other headphones as well.

And some people will get Beats no matter how it sounds and like it. But if they ever recommend headphones to others they damned well better note their own criteria for selecting headphones...

Well, technically, that sentence is true though. Best I've tried, which amounts to....one... :D

What people need is more brick and mortar shops that have test units available. Test the hell out of those test units, even the ones that are out of their price ranges. At least they'll know how far headphones could go in terms of audio quality. 

On the other note, Justin Bieber's Beats....?!?! :wacko:  :wacko:

That's what I thought. Lady Gaga's Beats, I don't know.....JB's beats, hell no.....

Dr. Dre is a doctor, you can trust him.  :lol:

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Dr. Dre is a doctor, you can trust him.  :lol:

Yep, I believe he is a doctor of medicine issued by ACME Corporation, a body Wile E. Coyote swears by. ;)

I had a good laugh reading this:

http://www.craveonline.com.au/lifestyle/articles/143322-breaking-news-dr-dre-isnt-a-real-doctor

But seriously, does he hold any sort of degree that entitles him that honorific.....or it's simply a title he adopted because it sounds cool? :unsure:

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Okay,i have to share this.

I never tried or heard beats headphones and i always thought that they are just bad for the price but not absolutely terrible.

WOW! They are garbage..

And another one..wow!

Edited by SpyRosL

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Hey, great vids there SpyRosl, it nicely demos the difference in sound. The 2nd vid especially, the source music is closely matched by both the Senn and AKG though the Senn tended to have a little more emphasis on highs with the AKG being more accurate (at least, that's what it sounded like on my Z623). Note that the moment Beats is featured, the mids and highs sounded flat due to more emphasis being placed on bass.

This is why it behooves us, as a tech forum, to advise those who are asking for advice on purchasing cans.....and Beats is the one they are looking at. If they choose to listen to our advice, then we have, at the very least, educated some on what good sound is like. If, after taking in all the advice given to them, they still want to get a Beats, hey, no skin off our backs, their money and their choice anyway......at least we'd tried.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Hey, great vids there SpyRosl, it nicely demos the difference in sound. The 2nd vid especially, the source music is closely matched by both the Senn and AKG though the Senn tended to have a little more emphasis on highs with the AKG being more accurate (at least, that's what it sounded like on my Z623). Note that the moment Beats is featured, the mids and highs sounded flat due to more emphasis being placed on bass.

This is why it behooves us, as a tech forum, to advise those who are asking for advice on purchasing cans.....and Beats is the one they are looking at. If they choose to listen to our advice, then we have, at the very least, educated some on what good sound is like. If, after taking in all the advice given to them, they still want to get a Beats, hey, no skin off our backs, their money and their choice anyway......at least we'd tried.

Agreed but i have never seen anyone recommenting beats anywhere which i suppose is a good thing :P

I'm pretty sure by now,everyone knows how bad they are.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Watched the 2nd video, I was like:

- HD8, quite nice, a bit too much lows to my taste

- AKG, good wide and reverb effect, perhaps from the 'stage' settings. I could definitely enjoy this

- Beats, what the actual hell?!?! Many instruments and frequencies are actually missing, gone with the wind. Holy crap....

Agreed but i have never seen anyone recommenting beats anywhere which i suppose is a good thing :P

Not really. I mean, in audio sites like this forum, reviews, and others, yeah sure. But in real life, there are a lot of people who swears by Beats. I use to hang out at an audio store (posted in another topic) that carries headphones and IEMs. Mind you, this is a specialty store that carry stuffs like HD800 and LCDs, and JHAudio IEMs. They still got a lot of people asking them for Beats...

That's.....pretty optimistic of you. :)  Sadly, I do see a lot of peeps wearing Beats cans in the trains and on buses here, mostly younger guys and gals who'd prolly bought their Beats with their parents' money. My niece's using a Klipsch Image One while I use a Shure SE215 (IEM) or Klipsch Image One BT for when I'm out and about. When I game or watch a movie, I use a Razer Black Shark (admittedly for the BOOM BOOM and nothing else), for music appreciation, I use my Senn HD555 or Ety ER6......admittedly, an eclectic mix or IEM's and cans. :wacko:

If you think the Beats headphones sound bad, imagine how the fakes would sound...

Samples: (1USD = 45PhP)

http://www.cdrking.com/?mod=products&type=view&sid=18576&main=34

http://www.cdrking.com/?mod=products&type=view&sid=18702&main=34

And these two are the better ones that you can find...

Watched the 2nd video, I was like:

- HD8, quite nice, a bit too much lows to my taste

- AKG, good wide and reverb effect, perhaps from the 'stage' settings. I could definitely enjoy this

- Beats, what the actual hell?!?! Many instruments and frequencies are actually missing, gone with the wind. Holy crap....

Not really. I mean, in audio sites like this forum, reviews, and others, yeah sure. But in real life, there are a lot of people who swears by Beats. I use to hang out at an audio store (posted in another topic) that carries headphones and IEMs. Mind you, this is a specialty store that carry stuffs like HD800 and LCDs, and JHAudio IEMs. They still got a lot of people asking them for Beats...

Yeah,the AKG ones had superb noise.

And the store owner would be like ''dude,what the hell? *facepalm* '' LOL

If you think the Beats headphones sound bad, imagine how the fakes would sound...

Omg, ''C''? haha. They might sound better though  :o

That's.....pretty optimistic of you. :)  Sadly, I do see a lot of peeps wearing Beats cans in the trains and on buses here, mostly younger guys and gals who'd prolly bought their Beats with their parents' money. My niece's using a Klipsch Image One while I use a Shure SE215 (IEM) or K;ipsch Image One BT for when I'm out and about. When I game or watch a movie, I use a Razer Black Shark (admittedly for the BOOM BOOM and nothing else), for music appreciation, I use my Senn HD555 or Ety ER6......admittedly, an eclectic mix or IEM's and cans. :wacko:

Wow,i guess i was wrong. The marketing is strong on this one..

There are always gonna be clueless gullible ppl buying shitty products though.

Hah, I was in China and my friend had gotten a Beats knock off, it actually doesn't have the Beats signature sound (flat mids and highs, overwhelming bass), it sounded more balanced to me....the bass was there, and pretty powerful, but I certainly could hear mids and highs pretty well. We had a good laugh, and given its price (about 60USD for a BT version), he figured why the heck not! Heck, I was tempted to get one myself but I already have the Image One BT. This is one of those times that a knock off can actually sounded better than the original..... ;)

Hah, I was in China and my friend had gotten a Beats knock off, it actually doesn't have the Beats signature sound (flat mids and highs, overwhelming bass), it sounded more balanced to me....the bass was there, and pretty powerful, but I certainly could hear mids and highs pretty well. We had a good laugh, and given its price (about 60USD for a BT version), he figured why the heck not! Heck, I was tempted to get one myself but I already have the Image One BT. This is one of those times that a knock off can actually sounded better than the original..... ;)

I'd like to see a pair of those personally...

I usually look at stuff sold on the sidewalks... Mostly hit or miss 2-5USD pairs...

I was able to get a good pair for 3USD... Broke in 2 months though...

I'll just sit here with my £30 Superlux HD668B's and stare at the gigantic pile of spare money I have left over

I'll just sit here with my £30 Superlux HD668B's and stare at the gigantic pile of spare money I have left over

Please,15e Genius ''vibration'' headset :P

are they any good though?

I'll just sit here with my cheap setup, and stare at the gigantic pile of money I never had.... :(

Please,15e Genius ''vibration'' headset :P

are they any good though?

They're a lot better than the ones I had http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHP2500-10-Television-Headphones-Black/dp/B000FTWT00/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409587618&sr=8-2&keywords=philips+headphones but I don't know how they compare to anything else.

Actually, I can say they are better than beats. I tried a friend's pair, he'd only just got them and he was all chuffed and what not, I just had to say "They're very bassy", not a good listening experience.

I'll just sit here with my cheap setup, and stare at the gigantic pile of money I never had.... :(

My pile is more imaginary than real tbh

Yeah,the AKG ones had superb noise.

Careful though, what you heard isn't really the AKG, but the sound colors the AKG made. Remember, you're still using your own headphone to watch/hear that video, so if you think the sound is good, then it's your headphone that's good. 

I got a lot of misconceptions among my family and friends, back when Sony released their flat TV (still CRT). The advertising on national television showed how brilliant, vivid, sharp, and colorful the images from that TV were. Lots of my family and friends craved that TV based on those ads. I said, 'Where did you see those super brilliant images? Your TV? Then your TV is fully capable of displaying those super brilliant images you're going crazy about. No need for the Sony ones....'

Yeah, we're not very smart people here....:P

Careful though, what you heard isn't really the AKG, but the sound colors the AKG made. Remember, you're still using your own headphone to watch/hear that video, so if you think the sound is good, then it's your headphone that's good. 

I got a lot of misconceptions among my family and friends, back when Sony released their flat TV (still CRT). The advertising on national television showed how brilliant, vivid, sharp, and colorful the images from that TV were. Lots of my family and friends craved that TV based on those ads. I said, 'Where did you see those super brilliant images? Your TV? Then your TV is fully capable of displaying those super brilliant images you're going crazy about. No need for the Sony ones....'

Yeah, we're not very smart people here.... :P

There were ads for TVs that had an extra yellow pixel - the sample videos looked amazing on a "regular" RGB TV already.

Yeah, we're not very smart people here....:P

Trust me,when I hear a good sound,it's a good one.currently on a 2009 I think hands free thingy from a mobile phone :P

If you buy headphones for anything apart from sound I don't want you in my life lol

Askew tellin it like it is, as always. How are you not a Mod yet bro?

I remember seeing some kid throwing a fit in a store recently because his mom wouldn't shell out the ridiculous price of some beats by dre phones, she said "they just cost that much because of the name thats on em" I told her she was exactly right about that, which was funny to me because she was like, 50. Hilarious that even some 50 year old that probably has no idea who "dre" is, can tell that a product is shit just because it has someones name on it, yet young kids who probably know more about technology can't,

She bought him a decent pair of 40 dollar headphones, he continued crying (literally throwing a fit, at like 11 years old) and I continued laughing my ass off.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-snip

Meh, I've always said the best mods are the ones with a sense of humor and a small streak of smartass-ishness.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs