Redditor says Galaxy S3 caught fire, burned his finger

Jeffrey Chiu_081

The person shares photos of the Galaxy S3, which is completely burned up. He claims he had made no modifications to the device.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57586371-94/redditor-says-galaxy-s3-caught-fire-burned-his-finger/

Images of the situation: http://imgur.com/a/9zxZK

very shocking and interesting at the sametime :)

long time since ive seen this sort of thing happening, my first gen ipod nano got recalled many years ago because a couple of them did this.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I read this a few hours ago, some people are saying the reason is using a different charger but I don't know if that's what actually happened and either way the GSIII is not supposed to have these kind of problems considering it does use the micro USB standard.

Something similar happened a week or so after the SGS3 launch and after further investigation it was discovered that the user had microwaved his phone after getting it wet (*facepalm*, I know). I wouldn't be surprised if this is something similar.

I guess this is another reason why it's a bad idea to sleep with your phone right next to your head, especially if it's charging...

Damn it why cant this sort of thing ever happen to me. If non hoax expect undisclosed settlement.

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

looks like power delivery short circuit well i owned an htc desire z and used it overclocked for 1.5 year (stock 800mhz but i ran it on 1.7ghz) the temps never got that high or caused phone to restart even when 3g is enabled and phone was at charge

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

well then :/

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Someone is about to be rich. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Well from those images it looks like everything went well with the battery overheating. The battery didn't blow up, the phone didn't catch on fire other than the spark and he only got a small owie.

No way can he sue over that little owie. Samsung should grab this story and say how safe their phone is, it doesn't blow up, it only sparks when the bad battery from the bad battery manufacture goes bad. Samsung win, S3 owner maybe gets a new phone and his picture in the ad.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Interesting. I hope spontaneous combustion isn't a trait shared by all Samsung products :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

How could that happen? A fault during the charging would be my first guess. Wrong voltage or something like that?

I've never seen a S3 randomly catch fire, but some Iphones and early touch phones 

Not too surprised. My S3 gets uncomfortably hot sometimes too.

Read the title and thought, "awe, does the poor little baby need a bandaid? lol"

To me it looks like it was purposely damaged based on the center of the burn and damage locations. It appears the most damage occurred at the outer edge on the backplate and not near any of the internal heat producing components. If you tear apart an S3 you will likely find that there isn't anything really under that burn location which could cause it to overheat to the point of exploding into flames. Not to mention hardware usually malfunctions and stops working before it bursts into flames from a 3.8v 2100mAh battery.

I would take the legitimacy of this with a grain of salt. 

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Maybe he downloaded a virusy app that loads your cpu in the background and causing the overheat and catch on fire. Or the battery that he received was defective.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer