htc one m8 review

Mao_Zedong

To start off, this is my first smartphone, but i previously used an iphone 4s like an ipod touch, i had an ipod touch 3rd generation, and i had a nexus 7 2013. I have used but don't own a super old galaxy that i don't know the name of, the galaxy s3, the galaxy s4, the iphone 3gs, the iphone 5, iphone 5s, and the ipad 2. 

Build Quality 10/10

The build quality is immaculate, it is shocking how nice it feels. People compare this to the iphone, but there is no real challenge, this is much better. Despite what some people say, the sides are slanted towards the screen, which makes this phone very easy to hold. The htc logo on the front isn't bad, it make it easy to tap to bottom of the screen without trouble.

Looks 10/10

This phone looks amazing, the only ones that come close are the iphone 5/5s and the sony xperia z/z1/z2.

Screen 13/15

The screen is good, but my phone has one deal pixel, and one that reflects light at certain angle. Besides those, the screen is nice and sharp, and the colors are great.

OS/Skin 7/10

Sense is ok, it isn't quite as good as stock android, but its pretty good.

Audio and Ports 9/10

The sound is great, the speakers are much better than on other phones, and they are smaller then they look in videos. my only gripe is that there is no micro hdmi or mini displayport, but almost no phones have those. One annoying thing about the microusb port is that it is really stiff, it is challenging to take it out without possibly hurting the port.

Connectivity 9/10

It has all the new features like lte, nfc, and 802.11ac, but no wireless charging.

Performance 13/15

I have never seen is significantly slow down, and it can play the games i got very well. it does heat up some when gaming, but is just warm, not hot.

Camera 8/10

It is pretty low resolution, but it makes mostly nice looking pictures. I don't use the camera very often, so I don't really care about it.

Overall 79/90 or 8.7/10

The htc one m8 is a great phone, but not quite perfect, there are a few small things that i mentioned that I hope are fixed by the one m9. I think this was the best option for me, but another great option is the sony xperia z2, for if you don't need a two year contract (at least in the USA). I would reccoemnd this phone for anybody who really care about build quality, sound, and screen quality, and who also can't get the sony xperia z2 for some reason (I would have gotten the z2 if I could have).

If you liked this review, check out my other reviews in my signature.

Connectivity 9/10
It has all the new features: lte, nfc, 802.11ac, but no wireless charging.

Contradiction 

Contradiction 

nope, it was bad wording, but it isn't a real contradiction. If you think about it, it makes sense (get is? sense? the skin? no? ok...). (i just made the wording slightly better)

From what I: hear the camera seems more like a 7/10. As I hear it is the worst flagship camera.

From what I: hear the camera seems more like a 7/10. As I hear it is the worst flagship camera.

not really, you can't zoom much, but the colors are great and the pictures are nice and bright. You don't want to print out pictures from it, but it is plenty sharp if you just post the pictures online. I first used it for more than testing today (for taking a picture of notes on a full size whiteboard) and both pictures were in focus, had good color, and the lighting was good.

not really, you can't zoom much, but the colors are great and the pictures are nice and bright. You don't want to print out pictures from it, but it is plenty sharp if you just post the pictures online. I first used it for more than testing today (for taking a picture of notes on a full size whiteboard) and both pictures were in focus, had good color, and the lighting was good.

I said compared to the flagship phones, s5, iphone5s, etc. Which have better cameras.

I said compared to the flagship phones, s5, iphone5s, etc. Which have better cameras.

i know, but the pictures look pretty great, so i'll stick with my 8/10.

I have the HTC One M8 also. Just got it a couple of days ago. While I am not a professional photographer, I have taken a few DSLR courses and am pretty decent. I will say this : While it's not a replacement for a 'proper' camera, in the same way that a lumia 1020 or a sony xperia z2 could possibly be (depending on how picky you are), it takes FANTASTIC photographs. The only possible thing to complain about is the fact you can't 'zoom'. I.e. stick to social media, flickr, and messaging services, and this camera will serve you much better than the other flagships. Low light is much better than anything out there in the mobile space, and colours are vibrant - it looks much closer to real life than the s5 or g3, but still has that sort of glow you expect from high end photography.

I keep my old razr i on hand for music and for taking landscape shots, which by their nature need the detail, but for everything else this camera is brilliant.

Video is great. Stability isn't great, but to be honest I hold an iphone 5 in one hand, this in the other and take a video, and they look pretty similar, no extra shakiness that can be discerned without close attention paid.

There are a few 'photographers reviews' around on the internet. Honestly, check them out - they basically say it doesnt replace your main camera, but it does a good job for all personal shots and videos.

Worst flagship camera is deffo s5. Shots are dull and smudgy, despite the pixel count. Z2 is probs best, that or G3 but id go with z2 because buttons on side.

Take a look at sample shots, you might be surprised.

On the review itself, nice one - I already bought one a few days ago, so you didn't change my mind about it, but thanks for sharing your experience.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

I have the HTC One M8 also. Just got it a couple of days ago. While I am not a professional photographer, I have taken a few DSLR courses and am pretty decent. I will say this : While it's not a replacement for a 'proper' camera, in the same way that a lumia 1020 or a sony xperia z2 could possibly be (depending on how picky you are), it takes FANTASTIC photographs. The only possible thing to complain about is the fact you can't 'zoom'. I.e. stick to social media, flickr, and messaging services, and this camera will serve you much better than the other flagships. Low light is much better than anything out there in the mobile space, and colours are vibrant - it looks much closer to real life than the s5 or g3, but still has that sort of glow you expect from high end photography.

I keep my old razr i on hand for music and for taking landscape shots, which by their nature need the detail, but for everything else this camera is brilliant.

Video is great. Stability isn't great, but to be honest I hold an iphone 5 in one hand, this in the other and take a video, and they look pretty similar, no extra shakiness that can be discerned without close attention paid.

There are a few 'photographers reviews' around on the internet. Honestly, check them out - they basically say it doesnt replace your main camera, but it does a good job for all personal shots and videos.

Worst flagship camera is deffo s5. Shots are dull and smudgy, despite the pixel count. Z2 is probs best, that or G3 but id go with z2 because buttons on side.

Take a look at sample shots, you might be surprised.

On the review itself, nice one - I already bought one a few days ago, so you didn't change my mind about it, but thanks for sharing your experience.

I just was saying what I heard, I do not really have any experience with smartphones. My knowledge is just based on what I hear. I thought from what I heard that the 5s and s5 took better pictures with the rear facing camera. I am probably wrong though.