Asus Zenbook random hang - no response

benjaminho96
Go to solution Solved by benjaminho96,

I've changed the power plan to be balanced all the time instead of high performance and i havent experienced a crash yet. Hope it works for you

I've an ASUS ZENBOOK UX31A running an i7-3517u CPU. At random moments during use, it hangs and the only solution is to force power off. The notebook was just in for warranty and had its motherboard changed. I've no idea what is causing it and how to even troubleshoot. The cpu core temperature is around 50 to 60 so thermals shouldnt be the problem. Has anyone had a similar issue or would know how to go about fixing it?

what were you doing when it hangs?

was ther any BSOD or blue screen?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

When you say hangs you mean it completely freezes and is unusable or it is slow?

Edit: Just read the "no response" in the title my bad...

I would suggest backing up your data and format... Windows can be a bitch sometimes :/

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I was updating steam + watching linus tech tips, I would upload a video but the file size is too large. (it occurs at random moments. ranging from watching movies or playing tetris or gaming)
No BSOD, just a droning noise and frozen screen (sometimes black)

When it hangs, there is no response from the keyboard or mouse. I have to resort to holding the power button

I was updating steam + watching linus tech tips, I would upload a video but the file size is too large. (it occurs at random moments. ranging from watching movies or playing tetris or gaming)

No BSOD, just a droning noise and frozen screen (sometimes black)

When it hangs, there is no response from the keyboard or mouse. I have to resort to holding the power button

There is no response from input, but the computer still executes tasks? (e.g the video you were watching is still playing)

what browser did you use?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

There is no response from input, but the computer still executes tasks? (e.g the video you were watching is still playing)

Oh, the computer doesnt still execute any tasks, the video stops playing.

what browser did you use?

I use chrome and firefox, there is no difference between the two, the computer still hangs(crashes?)

ok try this 

disable any hardware acceleration features on both browsers

esp Adobe Flash and Java

ensure both Java and Flash are the latest ver 

ok try this 

disable any hardware acceleration features on both browsers

esp Adobe Flash and Java

ensure both Java and Flash are the latest ver 

I dont think the browser is the problem. It will still crash when the browsers are not even running.

I dont think the browser is the problem. It will still crash when the browsers are not even running.

hmm this is strange

do a memtest 

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

take the free USB drive edition

this program will check for RAM troubles

Alright, i will try the memtest

If nothing else works try a virus scan with malwarebytes.

If nothing else works try a virus scan with malwarebytes.

Trying that now, memtest came up with 0 errors

No viruses or other malware detected with a full scan.
I came across this blog (http://technologicaltheologian.blogspot.com/2012/10/zenbook-prime-and-unexpected-shutdown.html) which has a slightly similar problem, except mine crashes and hangs -no auto shutdown-. I don't know what to do at this point, to send the computer back in for warranty will take 1-2 months and may not fix the problem. No Asus employee seems to have any idea of any sort of fix.

No viruses or other malware detected with a full scan.

I came across this blog (http://technologicaltheologian.blogspot.com/2012/10/zenbook-prime-and-unexpected-shutdown.html) which has a slightly similar problem, except mine crashes and hangs -no auto shutdown-. I don't know what to do at this point, to send the computer back in for warranty will take 1-2 months and may not fix the problem. No Asus employee seems to have any idea of any sort of fix.

Could be a motherboard problem then... Just to be sure I would suggest booting a linux distro (like Ubuntu) from an external usb drive to see if it is the OS or you'll have to check the hardware.

Could be a motherboard problem then... Just to be sure I would suggest booting a linux distro (like Ubuntu) from an external usb drive to see if it is the OS or you'll have to check the hardware.

Alright, will do, thanks for the advice

My zenbook ux21e also hang up sometimes. Especially when the battery less than a quarter. The last time it hung, i press the power button to force shutdown but then because of that, the ssd broken. I have flashed the new 214 bios that says "fix hang up sometimes" in release note, but the problem still persist.

• 1 month later...

I've changed the power plan to be balanced all the time instead of high performance and i havent experienced a crash yet. Hope it works for you