Network Noob Here:

Sherako

So I got Optimum online and they are saying that they are giving me 30MB/s DL 15 MB/s UL. I'm getting (WIRED) 1/3 of that. I have a E4200. The E4200 can apparantly output 400 MB/s. When can I get this. What ISP should I switch to?

I trip to make the fall shorter

Look back to your contract/terms of use and take a look at the minimum speeds. It is only "up to" a certain speed. For example, I have AT&T, and my speeds can get as low as 3MB/s and I can't say shit about it.

If it is indeed lower, than you can go fight with Optimum and ask for compensation or to abort your contract (if you have one).

I didn't get my internet service for 2 weeks, and I managed to get $35 and a free modem as a compensation which isn't too bad.

ISPs always finds a way to rip you off. 

And to answer your question, I don't know. What kind of providers are there in your area? 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

So I got Optimum online and they are saying that they are giving me 30MB/s DL 15 MB/s UL. I'm getting (WIRED) 1/3 of that. I have a E4200. The E4200 can apparantly output 400 MB/s. When can I get this. What ISP should I switch to?

Network speeds are almost always listed as UP TO, because guaranteed speeds leave them with 2 issues:

1. If they don't meet that speed, then the consumer would not be obligated to pay (like a leased line)
  2. The only way to GUARANTEE any given speed, is with a leased line, and they are incredibly expensive

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure that the big B is bytes and the little b is bits. 

Man your complaining with those speeds. Have you tried using Australian internet ? I am lucky to reach 1MBps download on ADSL2+

Before you go on switching stuff. Can you take a look at your modem stats? If you have one of the DOCIS 3 Arris modems then type in 192.168.100.1 into a browser and that should bring up the status page of the cable modem which should look something like this:

arris2.jpg

You should see 8 downstream channels and 2 or 3 upstream channels. See if the number of Uncorrectables seems abnormally high (like a number significantly higher than Correcteds) as this can indicate a physical line issue. 

I have Optimum as well with 50/25 service and I consistently get those speeds even during the evenings.

Laptop - Gigabyte P34G - 14" 1080p i7 4700HQ, nVidia 760M LiteOn 120GB mSATA, 1TB Crucial BX100, Intel AC-7260, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64
Desktop - SilverStone Fortress FT02B i5 3570K EVGA GTX 570, Intel 120GB 520,  1TB WD Black HDD, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64

Server - HP MediaSmart Server EX490, Core 2 Duo E8600, 2x WD RED 2TB, 2x WD RED 3TB, Stablebit DrivePool, 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM, WHS 2011