Is DDR4 even worth it?

Is it even worth it to upgrade from DD3 to DDR4?

I currently have a AMD 8320 CPU.

2 GTX 760's

ASUS EVO R2 motherboard.

700W PSU (Yes I need to upgrade the PSU this isnt even bronze and probably will catch fire soon)

2 2TB SSHD's

I do want to purchase another GTX 760 because I play my games in 3D and need a bit more power.

I dont think upgrading my CPU to a i7 will gain me much FPS.

Would DDR4 help in anyway?

Would it be worth it as a game and developer to buy a new Mobo, CPU and DDR4?

Thanks

blackshades on

given the crazy prices of DDR4 and the high CAS latency

not worth buying now

wait for a few year when it is widely adopted

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Wait for a couple of years to buy it, it isn't worth it right now plus it's expensive. Would be better to use ddr4 in the future when building a new computer or upgrading your computer.

When new ram comes out its normally broken and overpriced so you really just wait until you want a new cpu/mobo that you need ddr4 for 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

No.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

this thread again...

IT'S GONNA BE A LONG TIME BEFORE YOU'RE GONNA NEED DRR4, YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE ANY CURRENT MOTHERBOARDS FROM DRR3 TO DRR4, THE ONLY TIME YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT DRR4 IS IN A YEAR OR TWO.

this thread again...

IT'S GONNA BE A LONG TIME BEFORE YOU'RE GONNA NEED DRR4, YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE ANY CURRENT MOTHERBOARDS FROM DRR3 TO DRR4, THE ONLY TIME YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT DRR4 IS IN A YEAR OR TWO.

Is it even so hard to remember this?

To know the future, you should look to the past.

Think about how bad the first DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 memory modules were. It is never worth jumping into the bleeding edge of new memory. Wait a bit and let the manufacturers work out all the kinks.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

No, DDR3 is just fine.

Maybe you could get DDR4 if you upgrade to Intel Broadwell, if, it's going to be worth it, at the time.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

In one word: NO
In two words: Hell NO.
In three words: Oh god NO!
In many words: Yes but not for another year or so for the product to mature and prices to drop and compatibility to rise.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

DDR4 : You Do Not that piece of new gen shit

Just go with DDR3

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

DDR4 has its strength but I don't see them valid in the desktop department. They have some benefits in:

- low power ultrabook department (higher frequency - potential increase in iGPU performance with higher openCL scores and lower voltages - should translate to less heat)

- higher memory capacity for servers (anyone needs 512 GB of RAM for desktop usage?)  :D

That's pretty much it. As likely we hate to admit it, there will be no reasonable improvement in the desktop area that we should see. Of course benchmarks will confirm this once they are available.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Nope, just like DDR3 wasn't worth it when it initially came out.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

It will be a long while before DDR4 becomes standardized. So I wouldn't worry about it any time soon. Right now at slightly faster speeds than DDR3 there isn't a whole lot of benefit in terms of performance. If you plan on moving to say the X99 platform then yes you will have no choice but to run DDR4. Tho if you're moving over to 1150 than DDR3 is all that's supported currently. I would worry more about quantity instead of performance.

wait untill when you search RAM in google ddr4 is everywhere. BUT i must say seeing intels new intergration it might not take so long...

also i wonder what AMD has to offer to us soon.

the 9590 is not so competetive anymore in my opinion as the SUPER HIGH END..its even kinda meh looking at the insane TDP 

i wish amd would roll out some new chips and (probably wont happen) use the am3+ chipset if thats even possible with new RAM so they wont look as outdated as they currently do

amd a 1000$ cpu is fine,you see the people with the blue shirts pull it off? you can do it.. the 290x vs 780ti is competitive the 9590 vs 4960x not really.. even tho both are "consumer top of the line"