Best Z97 mobo for 3-way SLI?

Hi.

I'm looking for a board that supports 3-way SLI. Has to be Z97, ATX form factor, have at least one PS/2 port, and should support 5.1 audio.

Gigabyte and Asus are preferred.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

ASUS Maximus VII Hero

You can't do 3 way sli on the hero

Life.exe is missing

If your intentions are to 3 way SLI mid tier graphics cards; don't do it. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

If your intentions are to 3 way SLI mid tier graphics cards; don't do it. 

No, GTX 770s with 4GB VRAM.

Yes, u can, it has 3 pcie slots, the first two 8x mode (ver 3) and the last is 4x mode (ver 2)

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

have you thought about the heat and noise they are going to make? do you already have the cards? 

Cpu:4670k- at stock.... for now Gpu:r9-280x crossfire Cooler:KrakenX40 MB:mpower SP Ram:8gb hyperX beast 

If 780ti SLI is a more viable option in Estonia (currency), then I would go that route. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

have you thought about the heat and noise they are going to make? do you already have the cards? 

They are a little bit overpowered too... But this doesnt really matter...

If 780ti SLI is a more viable option in Estonia (currency), then I would go that route. 

id find out what hes using it for as well, because 780ti sli is overkill for pretty much everything sub 4k 

Cpu:4670k- at stock.... for now Gpu:r9-280x crossfire Cooler:KrakenX40 MB:mpower SP Ram:8gb hyperX beast 

It's a little overkill for me, I'm only doing 1440p.

id find out what hes using it for as well, because 780ti sli is overkill for pretty much everything sub 4k 

I'm going to tell him that he doesn't need the performance they'd offer, but I will tell him there's a more efficient and practical way of achieving it.

It's a little overkill for me, I'm only doing 1440p.

Alright, so you don't even need a third 770 then. 

I will first buy one 770, then another one and then the third one. I don't care about the noise, I want my PC to be noisy. And my build starts with only one 770.

as someone who runs multi gpus i can tell you its stupidly loud and hot. 

what are you planning to run on it btw? and at what resolution? 

No, I don't have the cards. My build will start with only one card and I will buy more later.

as someone who runs multi gpus i can tell you its stupidly loud and hot. 

what are you planning to run on it btw? and at what resolution? 

Microsoft Flight Simulator at 1440p. Yes, it does require a powerful GPU. In fact a PC that can run FSX on maximum settings at 60fps doesn't exist yet.

Alright, so you don't even need a third 770 then. 

one 780 ti sill give be better at 1440p than 770 sli surely?? when considering price and sli scaling.

Microsoft Flight Simulator at 1440p. Yes, it does require a powerful GPU. In fact a PC that can run FSX on maximum settings at 60fps doesn't exist yet.

my recommendation would be to get the best single gpu you can afford without the plan to sli down the road.

also this a random guess but seeing as fsx came out in 2006 i would put bad performance down to lack of optimisation rather than hardware limitations. 

one 780 ti sill give be better at 1440p than 770 sli surely?? when considering price and sli scaling.

It might be faster, I'm not sure. I do know two way SLI is scaling is very good, especially at 1440p.  

It might be faster, I'm not sure. I do know two way SLI is scaling is very good, especially at 1440p.  

im not sure to be honest. ill take your word for it, you're in a position to say i guess.

maybe i just got burned by shitty crossfire....

my recommendation would be to get the best single gpu you can afford without the plan to sli down the road.

also this a random guess but seeing as fsx came out in 2006 i would put bad performance down to lack of optimisation rather than hardware limitations. 

I know that it doesn't use multi graphics, but I will run other games on it too.

I know that it doesn't use multi graphics, but I will run other games on it too.

yeah, im considering that as well. Its up to you to decide whats best for you. personally i would get a 780 ti (i wish i had instead of going crossfire) or dare i say it... wait for the 800 series? 

Yes, u can, it has 3 pcie slots, the first two 8x mode (ver 3) and the last is 4x mode (ver 2)

SLi doesn't support the 4x slot.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III