Why UNIX and Mac OS X Beat Windows

Did you expect me to?  :blink:

I would much rather use a pure linux distro than using OSX.

I already know how linux is related to OSX. OSX came from linux. But I still prefer to be able to change every part of a linux OS, and even code your own parts of the OS.

Why do people insist on highlighting their willing ignorance like this?

You said something that is wrong, and then refuse to read up on the history? Wow.

Great post, something I know a bit of already. Although only as far back as the Mach micro kernel being used and modified, although not too many details.

Thanks for a nice read. It's a shame people are already posted comments without actually having read the OP, or even so much as googling anything.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Great post, something I know a bit of already. Although only as far back as the Mach micro kernel being used and modified, although not too many details.

Thanks for a nice read. It's a shame people are already posted comments without actually having read the OP, or even so much as googling anything.

Bound to happen. Glad you liked it!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Maybe by year type time line or jumps in versions like in the graph? Maybe just bolding the first part of those sentences?

I'm going to put in headers of the various OSes and advances made in bold lettering.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

TL;DR

apple is a locked-down user-friendly OS for old people.

Yes, that's pretty much EXACTLY what he said. Thank you for your cognitive insght into a topic you are clearly a master in.

really informative post, did change my view a bit about OSX, though i'm still a windows "snob" should we said :P, its what i have used for the last 10 years because is what i know, i grew with and i still prefer it overall, i hadn't use OSX at all expect for my bro that has a mac mini, that i don't touch mostly because i have my machine, and his hangs a lot due to just having 2 gb of ram,(also the programs he use doesn't help that much) though it got much better with the ram optimization that apple released with mavericks,

but i'm looking a bit into linux now, i'm just downloading crunchbang to put it on a old ass netbook i have lying around in order to be usable for web browsing since i'm going to travel next week

Mac OS 8.1 sought to apologize to Apple’s power users for OS 8’s ruinous changes to the classic Mac user interface by adding back in a start button and allowing the user to choose whether to boot to the Metro UI or the desktop. (…) In all seriousness, 8.1 introduced such important under-the-hood advances as the HFS+ file system, the Macintosh Runtime for Java, as well as bringing in Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator for browsing the web. Here ends the changes to the original System series that were eventually implemented in OS X.

i find this part really amusing given the situation we are now with windows xD

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i find this part really amusing given the situation we are now with windows xD

You do realize it was a joke, right?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Maybe by year type time line or jumps in versions like in the graph? Maybe just bolding the first part of those sentences?

I edited the OP.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

And now the post I spent three hours writing is officially dead...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

And now the post I spent three hours writing is officially dead...

What? Always hit save even if not done, can always edit.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

What? Always hit save even if not done, can always edit.

No, meaning nobody will ever see this thread again and I spent a long time working on it.

I guess I'm a selfish bastard ;)

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

No, meaning nobody will ever see this thread again and I spent a long time working on it.

I guess I'm a selfish bastard ;)

We all feel that way about our threads or at least I do. There's even some which should be stickied (not mine) due to their mass appeal or usefulness and they fall off to the cellar of the forum, then someone dares to reply and the mods shut it down, hitting the LTT catch 22 of threads (can't bring up a necro thread and can't start a repost :wacko:  )

We all feel that way about our threads or at least I do. There's even some which should be stickied (not mine) due to their mass appeal or usefulness and they fall off to the cellar of the forum, then someone dares to reply and the mods shut it down, hitting the LTT catch 22 of threads (can't bring up a necro thread and can't start a repost :wacko:  )

Why do we only sticky certain threads in certain subs?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Why do we only sticky certain threads in certain subs?

I have no idea, the Off Topic section has become the Sticky section, just checked and it looks like they release a few but it was almost at one full page of sticky crap that should for all practical purposes just be deleted.

Wasn't gonna reply but I thought I should come back and say that it was a pretty interesting read. Good way to spend one of free lessons earlier this morning ;)

i7 4770k currently @ stock | 2x Sapphire r9 290 Tri-x in crossfire | 16 GB GSkill trident X @ 2400 Mhz | Asus z87 Sabertooth | NZXT h440 | NZXT Kraken x60 | Corsair RM1000 | BenQ XL2420TE

I have no idea, the Off Topic section has become the Sticky section, just checked and it looks like they release a few but it was almost at one full page of sticky crap that should for all practical purposes just be deleted.

I've noticed that too. They should have a petition or poll system for getting posts stickied. 

Wasn't gonna reply but I thought I should come back and say that it was a pretty interesting read. Good way to spend one of free lessons earlier this morning ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Please don't hesitate to ask questions or repost it (with link of course) wherever you choose to.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Good read. Didn't have any knowledge on OSX background besides NeXT acquisition. It's cool the know more about one of the OS I use daily.  I just don't like the chart. Way too confusing for me :)

Stallman is quite strange. Let me offer you this gem in his life of weirdness:

That shit is just gross. God damn... He's just chewing on it xD 

I loved the fact that he remove his sock like there's nothing going on, listening on the other guy :D 

That shit is just gross. God damn... He's just chewing on it xD 

I loved the fact that he remove his sock like there's nothing going on, listening on the other guy :D

It's like he walks over, sits down, and suddenly he forgets that he's in public.

Thanks for this informative piece.

I knew a few things but not as indepth as you do.

This is what i will refer to when my co-workers or friends ask me about UNIX (yes, it happens)

Wow. I'm glad you found it informative. Please don't hesitate to repost this or share it with whomever you'd like, too.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

OSX is a, not physically but technically a more "Limited" distro of Linux. Perhaps for people who dont want to learn how to use Linux can use something more basic like OSX.

OSX is not linux based, but to me OSX is another linux/unix distro made by a company I dont like.

That's.. a matter of perspective.

There are some serious applications and software for serious bussiness available only on osx, or the best is only on osx, to my knoweledge. Also while you can mod linux to look exactly the same as osx, you can mod linux into really anything...

Also, I do realize that a master can make a better cake with crap than a beginner with unlimited budget, but eh.

They both are relatively unused systems compared to windows, so they are, safer, so to say.

Also, apple has some fantastic if not the best integration bettween their devices, and best of all, everything works great most of the time without your intervention.

I think they're pompous kretins overpricing everything, but they do make quality stuff for the average user, and that's why they succeed so much, and as I said there are some of the best dedicated apps for their platforms.

Personaly I use windows with sandboxie, and linux... But apple's crap aint bad. It's quite brilliant, just not for everyone, especially people without the need for their pricey stuff, and who can use a bit more demanding software. 

OSX is a, not physically but technically a more "Limited" distro of Linux. Perhaps for people who dont want to learn how to use Linux can use something more basic like OSX.

Technically speaking, it's less limited because it's fully UNIX compliant. And frankly, you don't have to be Einstein to use Linux. Linux is great, I run all my servers on it and I run tons of Linux VMs, I just prefer the OS X GUI to GNOME and KDE or whatever is the most popular right now. I might try a custom window manager if I get the chance.

A lot of Linux users switched to it when it came out because it still remains one of the few Unix-derived operating systems with a great user interface. It has all of the hardcore features you'd expect, and is actually rooted in open source across the board. 

Though if you read the whole article I think you'll discover it's actually much closer to FreeBSD than to Linux. Linux was developed alongside Unix, not off of it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Personaly I use windows with sandboxie, and linux... But apple's crap aint bad. It's quite brilliant, just not for everyone, especially people without the need for their pricey stuff, and who can use a bit more demanding software. 

A lot of power users depend on OS X actually. Anand Lal Shimpi of AnandTech and John Siracusa of Ars Technica, just to name a few.

I'd include myself in that list but I'm not qualified to be with the likes of them. I am what you'd call a power user though.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /