Samsung couldn't resist turning the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge into an ad

Dietrichw

Source

It had to be done. Some unscrupulous marketer was always going to try and capitalize on the global popularity of the Ice Bucket Challenge — whose goal is to raise money to fight amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) — as a cheap ploy to sell you more stuff. In this case, it's Samsung, whose Galaxy S5 shows off its water-resistant design by taking a cold shower and calling out the iPhone 5S, HTC's One M8, and the Lumia 930 to try and do the same. Oddly enough, the waterproof Xperia Z2 doesn't seem to make Samsung's list.

Samsung has made a "generous" contribution to a UK organization fighting the same disease as the ALS Association, but the video itself is a pure commercial for the phone, leaving out any mention of or encouragement to participate in the charitable drive.

wow..... 

its one thing to participate and promote the charity but to do it just to sell phones without promoting the charity is another thing. If they had a figurehead of the company do the challenge and talked about ALS it would be perfectly fine

Samsung are a bunch of marketing cunts

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Really Samsung? Losing my respect as a consumer, day by day... I don't care if they gave money or not, you used this as a means to advertize a product and possibly get more back than you put out.

And I think the M8 could do it, considering it can do this:

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I don't think this is so bad...? So now you can't make an ad about a popular social thing because it involves charity...?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

It's fine if they donate.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'm sick and tired of these Ice Bucket Challenge videos that explain absolutely nothing about what ALS is and just do it as if it's another one of those stupid challenges that spread around Facebook and other social media. As for Samsung... they just need to stop and rethink their adverts. I swear the more I see from them the worse and more annoying they are.

iPhones are known for how good they do with water so this should be no problem.

I'm sick and tired of these Ice Bucket Challenge videos that explain absolutely nothing about what ALS is and just do it as if it's another one of those stupid challenges that spread around Facebook and other social media. As for Samsung... they just need to stop and rethink their adverts. I swear the more I see from them the worse and more enjoying they are.

I agree: I'm going to dump a bucket of ice and water on you and your going to donate to find a cure or treatement of ALS. Makes all the sense in the world </sarcastic>

I agree: I'm going to dump a bucket of ice and water on you and your going to donate to find a cure or treatement of ALS. Makes all the sense in the world </sarcastic>

I mean I don't care what people do to raise awareness and the Ice Bucket Challenge is quite an amusing one, so long they actually say what they are doing it for and explain the condition instead of just pointlessly dropping ice cold water on themselves.

Of course they didn't mention Z2, it is actually waterproof, much better than waterresistant S5 that you can still get water in it if you are not careful.

As for the charity thing. It's bullshit. Nobody watching these stupid viral videos are donating shit. And all the people that are participating in these videos are fucking billionaires! They can single handedly wipe the disease of the plant by drowning it in money if they actually cared that much.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/08/22/samsung-als-challenge

"Samsung made a video purporting to show the Galaxy S5 taking the “ice bucket challenge”, not to raise awareness for ALS, but in order to mock competing phones (including the iPhone 5S) for their lack of water resistance.

But here’s the thing: Watch the time at the top right of the Galaxy’s status bar. Samsung lacks integrity even when doing something ostensibly for a charity. I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried."

From the company that brought you the benchmark cheater, comes the "we're going to pretend to dump ice water over our phone for charity to make fun of our competitors!"

To quote Phil Schiller: "Shenanigans."

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't see the point of even doing what they did. What's the point of switching the phone out? Did it not actually manage to take the ice water?

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ice bucket challenge started as a stand alone thing (like, months ago). The charity part has only very recently been attached to it, it's not like anyone is obliged to mention ALS or similar.

No mention here, or many others that I've seen.

To do it NOW without mentioning ALS is pretty slack, though.

Also lol, the time on the phone time changes from 2:16 to 2:50. Guess it didn't survive that one...

I don't see the point of even doing what they did. What's the point of switching the phone out? Did it not actually manage to take the ice water?

It's not clear that they switched it out, just that an obscene amount of time passed for no apparent reason.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

For those of you who didn't notice:

post-419-0-43298500-1408764584_thumb.png

That is at the 6 second mark. The screen images are doctored, ala Adobe After Effects. 

The right side shows the transition between the two screens. In the lower left corner, the home screen does not align with the phones frame.

Boom, Samsung doctored the video.

Or maybe the phone accidentally moved around during the video shoot and they had to retake a few scenes...

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

This is legit but is sooooooo biased it's almost not funny anymore...

From the company that brought you the benchmark cheater, 

Oh wait that's cause it isn't xD

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I think the ALS challenge is stupid personally, Nice going Samsung on the twist!

I wish I could like this 9001 more times...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas