Looking for very open headphones and Obj. 2

Hey LTT forum!

I am one of those people who's brain just can't stop it's body from shouting like all hell, as soon as I wear sound isolating headphones.
I currently have and use a pair of Sennheiser PC 350s which I wear with one cup on (for Skype calls). This is insanely fatiguing, and I can't hear half of what's going on in the games, so it's really not optimal.

I've therefore been looking for some open, circumaural headphones with good, refrence-ish sound (if anything, then preferrably a bit on the warm and soft side). My budget is around 250 dollars (190 euros).

The pairs I've been looking at so far, have been: Beyerdynamic 880-pro, Sennheiser HD 598 and AKG K-701.
I am definetly open to suggestions. I do value good construction and nice design quite highly.

Other than headphones, I've been wanting to improve more of the chain so I figured that an Objective 2 and ODAC combo would be a good choice. I use a set of active pc speakers most of the time, so It'd be cool if they can be plugged into the Obj. 2 permanently, while I can override it with the headphones ("DAC-Line output" or " option on the JDS labs custom one?).

And so my options are: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/mayflower-custom-products/desktop-objective2-with-odac/ and http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

Thanks in advance!

- Frederik Ingemann Hansen

What's your motherboard? Cause you might not need a DAC/AMP for these headphones you're looking at.

I don't think any of those headphones you listed could be called warm. The 598 may be slightly laid back, but not warm. Maybe check out the K612 Pro.

At least with our amps you can plug the speakers into the input section of the amp. You'll be driving your speakers directly off of the ODAC.

What's your motherboard? Cause you might not need a DAC/AMP for these headphones you're looking at.

It's not that I need a DAC. It's that I don't like the sound signature on my motherboard one. 

At least with our amps you can plug the speakers into the input section of the amp. You'll be driving your speakers directly off of the ODAC.

Wow! Cool you responded! You build the JDS Labs ones too, right? Is there any noticable difference? And is the "dedicated rear 3.5mm line-output" on the JDS Labs one the same as the feature you're talking about?

It's not that I need a DAC. It's that I don't like the sound signature on my motherboard one. 

If you have a relatively new motherboard (last 5 years) I highly doubt a DAC would change the sound signature to the point of being noticeable.

Wow! Cool you responded! You build the JDS Labs ones too, right? Is there any noticable difference? And is the "dedicated rear 3.5mm line-output" on the JDS Labs one the same as the feature you're talking about?

As far as I'm aware, they're 2 completely distinct companies. They're just building the same product. JDS labs offers more variants though but they come at a price.

If you have a relatively new motherboard (last 5 years) I highly doubt a DAC would change the sound signature to the point of being noticeable.

As far as I'm aware, they're 2 completely distinct companies. They're just building the same product. JDS labs offers more variants though but they come at a price.

As far as i know it's Mayflower who offer more variants. They both have the same variety.

From the sound you describe I would maybe look into some HiFiMAN HE-300, I don't think they are made anymore, although you should be able to find them still. It is a really great headphone with Sennheiser HD650 type of sound signature.

Philips Fidelio X1 are also very nice and often you can find them at a nice discount price. I've seen them as low as 160 Euro.

He's pretty chill most of the time.  He and JDS don't really work together though.  Although they both seem to be using the same parts and building off the same design, It's always seemed JDS was more focused on his own amps and Mayflower always had more interesting options with the exception of engravings.

If you REALLY want open headphones, the most open thing you can get that I've tried so far is either the HE-500 or the LCD-2.  Their a bit pricey (and you probably really don't want to spend that much), so out of the stuff you picked out I'd say the HD558/598 or maybe an ebay pair of HD650s cheap.

Would you need a more powerful amp for any of those? No, with the exception of the HD650 *maybe* (the resistance is up to 550 Ohms in the lower frequencies if you look at a graph).  Definitely would get an amp for either the HE-500 or the LCD-2 though.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

He's pretty chill most of the time.  He and JDS don't really work together though.  Although they both seem to be using the same parts and building off the same design, It's always seemed JDS was more focused on his own amps and Mayflower always had more interesting options with the exception of engravings.

If you REALLY want open headphones, the most open thing you can get that I've tried so far is either the HE-500 or the LCD-2.  Their a bit pricey (and you probably really don't want to spend that much), so out of the stuff you picked out I'd say the HD558/598 or maybe an ebay pair of HD650s cheap.

Would you need a more powerful amp for any of those? No, with the exception of the HD650 *maybe* (the resistance is up to 550 Ohms in the lower frequencies if you look at a graph).  Definitely would get an amp for either the HE-500 or the LCD-2 though.

I am  terribly sorry if you found that offensive! I read it somewhere on the interwebs and assumed it was true :/

From the sound you describe I would maybe look into some HiFiMAN HE-300, I don't think they are made anymore, although you should be able to find them still. It is a really great headphone with Sennheiser HD650 type of sound signature.

Philips Fidelio X1 are also very nice and often you can find them at a nice discount price. I've seen them as low as 160 Euro.

Will check them out, thanks

I notice you are from Denmark as well, and if you didn't know there is a nice site called hoved-fi which is kind of like head-fi, just with a bunch of cool Danish people. We are going to have our bi-annual meet in October. So if you want to listen to a whole bunch of head-fi do visit and sign up. This time of the year is the Copenhagen meet, we also have one in the spring in Jutland.

I don't think any of those headphones you listed could be called warm. The 598 may be slightly laid back, but not warm. Maybe check out the K612 Pro.

I vote for k612 pros too

https://www.massdrop.com/home

You can even get a killer deal for them on massdrop and save a bit of your money:D:D

What about some grado SR80e ($100),SR125e ($150),or SR 225e($200) headphones.

The sound signature is exactly what you are describing (accurate sound with rolled off highs and lush mids) and they are very open.  

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/1-sr80e

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/3-sr125e

Oh and they're made in the USA.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Grado's are a bit more expensive over the pond, so the SR125 are 250 USD here.

I notice you are from Denmark as well, and if you didn't know there is a nice site called hoved-fi which is kind of like head-fi, just with a bunch of cool Danish people. We are going to have our bi-annual meet in October. So if you want to listen to a whole bunch of head-fi do visit and sign up. This time of the year is the Copenhagen meet, we also have one in the spring in Jutland.

Sounds cool! I might actually go! Thanks!

I think I might go for the AKG 612 Pros. They sound like they suit my needs close to perfectly, and I can get them for 180 dollars at Thomann.de. And then I'll reconsider the Obj. 2 and ODAC (If I buy one, it'll defintely be Mayflower! That guy's just too cool!). 

Any objections?

Oh, and a direct question for you. I've seen a lot of different versions of your product, and I'm wondering what logo is on the top of the current version? I do really like your logo design (The one on the version Barnacules reviewed)

Oh, and a direct question for you. I've seen a lot of different versions of your product, and I'm wondering what logo is on the top of the current version? I do really like your logo design (The one on the version Barnacules reviewed)

I need to re-shoot most of the pictures but all of our amps now don't come with a sticker on top. Most people just take it off so we stopped doing that a while ago.

I need to re-shoot most of the pictures but all of our amps now don't come with a sticker on top. Most people just take it off so we stopped doing that a while ago.

Oh that's just super sad.. I hope you'll add it to the accesories shop at some point ;) (Though shipping it to Denmark would be kinda' silly).

So does it even have your company name or anything anywhere?

Oh that's just super sad.. I hope you'll add it to the accesories shop at some point ;) (Though shipping it to Denmark would be kinda' silly).

So does it even have your company name or anything anywhere?

Yeah it has our name on the front panel and the rear panel has our logo.

Good, the sticker was hella unsightly.