AMD A-10 5800k with a HD7950

do you guys think a A-10 5800k will bottleneck a HD 7950? this is only for gamin and casual web surfing and other multimedia need. not a workstation in any way,

thanks for the help...

I presume you are upgrading an existing A10 system?

It should be fine, though it may be cutting close in terms of a bottleneck. Should yield a substantial performance increase with games, though for web surfing and what-not it naturally wouldn't make that much of a difference. Do make sure your power supply can handle the added card though.

EDIT: I forgot to say, but as said below it's not ideal, so if you are building a new system I'd recommend going for an FX or i5 instead.

Not really a bottleneck, but a discrete card kind of defeats the purpose of getting an A10. You could get slightly better results with something in the AMD FX line (ie. 4300 or 6300 fx) and up to an i5 if you can afford it.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

No you are fine, will not bottleneck your system, but to improve the CPU performance even further I advise you to completely disable the onboard graphics 7660 iGPU to reduce heat & power output and improve overclocking.

Once you have it disabled , you can take that CPU to 4.5 Ghz very easily and improve performance even further .

this is for a brand new build. but the problem is that i am planing to use the IGPU untill i get the discreet GPU because of budget problems.

and i am also in need of a computer for school work. so gamin can wait till i get a good GPU.

i though of going for a FX-6300 or a FX-8350 but then i realized that non of these CPU's have IGPU's in them.(is that correct or am i being a complete idiot?).

so buying a A-10 right now and use it until i get a &950 sounded like a good deal to me? what do u think?

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me to clear up some points:

OP pointed out this is entirely not a workstation and is for gaming and the pursuit of internets.

Computationally the A10 is not a powerful cpu, actually bellow par of my i5 2500k I am running through now. (second gen)

coupled with a 70XX (as OP was asking) will beat the pants off (shading and render DX9 DX10+) the 8 core FX unlocked and all the I series ivys. why? because its got a powerful little north island.

TL : DR

the A10 will crossfire with the discreet 70XX card and thus give you a 70% increase in performance. YES the 7950 will not run as hard and fast as she is capable but as the driving card (card that feeds the monitors) it will deliver a net benefit greater that 40% frame-rate versus the 70XX alone.

This is a cheap and powerful way to crossfire with AMD system. This in not the best CPU it FLOPS way behind other cpus (that was a joke there).

here are some facts:

3DMARK11: gave the chip 1211/1344 (bear in mind the i7 3770K only achieves 654/771)

so why does this "APU" get bad ratings all the time? easy people are comparing it to CPU.

appart form the obvious APU =/= CPU the reviewers (not all some reviewers are effing awesome) fail to compare it to anything.

The AMD A10 5800K BLACK is cheap, and coupled with good RAM (I am using Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB 2,600MHz (will run 1800 dual channel)) and a discreet powerhouse like the 7950 will blow the pants off a same system with a old fashioned CPU at render and fps.

##EDIT: the APU will need to be over-clocked to reduce the bottleneck on the 7950 also the APU relies on good ram for the northisland to function optimally! Such a build would be ideal for multi-screen eyefility HO

the A10 will crossfire with the discreet 70XX card and thus give you a 70% increase in performance. YES the 7950 will not run as hard and fast as she is capable but as the driving card (card that feeds the monitors) it will deliver a net benefit greater that 40% frame-rate versus the 70XX alone. This is a cheap and powerful way to crossfire with AMD system.

70xx series? the A10 can Crossfire with HD 6670 and below only.

This in not the best CPU it FLOPS way behind other cpus (that was a joke there). here are some facts: 3DMARK11: gave the chip 1211/1344 (bear in mind the i7 3770K only achieves 654/771)

wtf are u talking about?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

the A10 will crossfire with the discreet 70XX card and thus give you a 70% increase in performance. YES the 7950 will not run as hard and fast as she is capable but as the driving card (card that feeds the monitors) it will deliver a net benefit greater that 40% frame-rate versus the 70XX alone. This is a cheap and powerful way to crossfire with AMD system.

70xx series? the A10 can Crossfire with HD 6670 and below only.

This in not the best CPU it FLOPS way behind other cpus (that was a joke there). here are some facts: 3DMARK11: gave the chip 1211/1344 (bear in mind the i7 3770K only achieves 654/771)

wtf are u talking about?

i dont know what he is saying either.....

That CPU will bottleneck yes. I recommend getting an i3 (an I5 would be better but if you're low on cash...) and endure the lesser IGP (it's not that bad) while you farm some cash for that video card. It will be a much better value in the long run because an I3 or I5 will not bottleneck a 7950.

An Intel cpu with onboard graphics might be a better option for you (I really wouldn't recommend an i3 for gaming but an i5 is great). Another option if you want an AMD 6300 or 8350 is just get the cheapest discreet GPU you can find for now, and upgrade it later

(example: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72269&vpn=GV-R645-1GI&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1270).

Also note that you Can Not crossfire an 7950 with a A10 APU.

"Wisdom III" AMD FX 8120 @ 4.1Ghz // Biostar TA990FXE // 16GB GeIL Black Dragon (8x2) // Saphire HD 7870 OC Edition // CORSAIR TX850M // Curcial M4 64GB (boot) // Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB (storage) // Cooler Master Hyper N 520 // Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

That CPU will bottleneck yes. I recommend getting an i3 (an I5 would be better but if you're low on cash...) and endure the lesser IGP (it's not that bad) while you farm some cash for that video card. It will be a much better value in the long run because an I3 or I5 will not bottleneck a 7950.
An i3 will be just as bad of a bottleneck as a 5800K .

an i3 wont bottleneck. might be close but no bottleneck

I was in a predicament like this and what I ended up doing is getting an AMD 6 core and finding a $5 gpu on a local listing and used that till I had the money for my HD 7870 and it worked fine.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Another option if you want an AMD 6300 or 8350 is just get the cheapest discreet GPU you can find for now' date=' and upgrade it later (example: [url']http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72269&vpn=GV-R645-1GI&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1270).
I was in a predicament like this and what I ended up doing is getting an AMD 6 core and finding a $5 gpu on a local listing and used that till I had the money for my HD 7870 and it worked fine.

I second these. :D

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you can sell off the current rig, save up, and buy a decent machine to follow up with 7950. To answer your questions, A10 is low end -ish (budget) and pairing up with 7950 is just isnt that great.

Austin put up a great video on this just a few hours ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hps7TV4d0

Yes there will be bottlenecks, no it won't have too much of an adverse affect on performance, but you should look at upgrading the CPU/mobo in the future too

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Austin put up a great video on this just a few hours ago
Yes there will be bottlenecks' date=' no it won't have too much of an adverse affect on performance, but you should look at upgrading the CPU/mobo in the future too [/quote']

Good video...really shows the bottleneck that can happen with processors.

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Hey..i was in the same boat as you built a A10 system, upgraded to a AMD 7870 and was getting around 50-55+ FPS on Far Cry 3 with 8gb of 1866Mhz running at 1920x1080p :)

Well does the scool work require a gpu ....if so then you will have to do what you have described above.....but if not then get the fx 6300 and wait for a 7950..... As you said gaming can wait getting an fx 6300 would be a better choice.

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16