U2713HM vs PB278Q

jonasa97

Hello there,

I'm looking to buy either one really soon. I'd appreciate if owners (or others too :D) could post their thoughts. I heard that the Dell often has problems (flickering). It also appeals to me that I can run WQHD via HDMI 1.4 with the Asus. What I prefer about the Dell is that it has faster Black to White switch times (ASUS has faster grey 2 grey as far as I know).

Thanks in advance

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

the asus is nice but you have to mess around with the colors, standerd colors seem a bit greyed out

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I have the U2713HM and so far I haven't noticed any flickering, I would assume if anything the Asus monitor would have flickering at lower brightness levels due because it uses PWM lighting. It's a great monitor, but I would imagine as long as you aren't incredibly picky, you'll probably be happy with whichever one you choose. 

i5 3570K • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP • 2x Asus GTX 670 SLI • Asus Sabertooth z77 • Asus PCE-AC66 • Crucial M4 256GB • Corsair AX 850 • Sound Blaster Xz • Fractal Define R4 • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 • Dell U2713HM • Sennheiser RS 180 • Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel • Clubsport Pedals

Tardbarn is correct. Also the U2713HM comes a manufacture pre-color calibrated sRGB profile, ready to be selected once you plug in the monitor.

Also, gray to gray response time is B.S measurement. Because there is no standard way to measure this. Also, the color they choose is any gray color, including but not limited to the same gray color.

Here is an example from measurement taking my the in depth monitor review site TFTCentral. (This a bit of an extreme case, comparing a good IPS panel vs a not so great 120Hz TN panel, but it is showing the point clearly, that g-t-g is crap measurement):

Dell U2410 - IPS - 6ms response time - 1920x1200:
dell_u2410.jpg

BenQ - TN - 120Hz - 1ms response time - 1920x1080
benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

As you can see above, the IPS panel, despite 6ms, massacre, night and day, the BenQ model above.

Also, please don't use HDMI, it's total crap, and most likely your GPU doesn't support HDMI 1.4, so you'll get, only 1920x1080.

HDMI royalty fees are extremely high, so manufactures usually use old HDMI version, as it cost less.

In this post, I explain how Dual Link DVI and DisplayPort are superior to HDMI:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/19953-difference-hmdi-dvi/?p=237805

I have a u2713hm and it is a really huge step up. The colors are incredible and I still play bf3 competitively on it. I would say if you have the power to drive it then buy one. Also the biggest adv is that factory calibration.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Thanks for the many replies. I think I will go  for the Dell as I have no ideas on how to mess with those color settings. :3

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Thanks for the many replies. I think I will go  for the Dell as I have no ideas on how to mess with those color settings. :3

Honestly man, just use the presets, I use RGB for almost everything and have downloaded an RGB profile for windows, however it made such a slight difference that I barely noticed a difference.

In my experience with it, the text, gaming and RGB presets are great.  You'll love he monitor :D

i5 3570K • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP • 2x Asus GTX 670 SLI • Asus Sabertooth z77 • Asus PCE-AC66 • Crucial M4 256GB • Corsair AX 850 • Sound Blaster Xz • Fractal Define R4 • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 • Dell U2713HM • Sennheiser RS 180 • Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel • Clubsport Pedals

I've read a little further on the monitor and heard some complaints that the screen tends to burn in when some image stays on the screen for too long like on a CRT. Did anyone experience this?

This is a characteristic of all LCD monitors, yes.

I don't know about the ASUS monitor, by the Dell monitor has a feature called LCD Conditioning on the monitor menu, which Dell recommend to execute for an hour or so, if an image does burns in.

LCD Burn in is rare. Using the computer for several hours on end, the task bar won't burn-in on your screen.

All I can say is don't worry. If it never happen to you with your current LCD monitor, then it won't happen with this new monitor :)

It's only an issue for those that tell Windows to never turn off the monitor, and like stays relatively the same image on the screen days on end.

This is a characteristic of all LCD monitors, yes.

I don't know about the ASUS monitor, by the Dell monitor has a feature called LCD Conditioning on the monitor menu, which Dell recommend to execute for an hour or so, if an image does burns in.

LCD Burn in is rare. Using the computer for several hours on end, the task bar won't burn-in on your screen.

All I can say is don't worry. If it never happen to you with your current LCD monitor, then it won't happen with this new monitor :)

It's only an issue for those that tell Windows to never turn off the monitor, and like stays relatively the same image on the screen days on end.

Actually that happened with my Dell U2713HM. It happened once I just turned on my pc read some web stuff then played a game and I could see the web browser while playing the game. After that one time it never showed up again so i didn't worry.

I have the Asus PB278q and I can say without any doubt that the monitor is superb for everything that I do with it. I wouldn't take much stock about the Dell being calibrated out the box and the Asus needing to be calibrated. In reality they both need calibrating. You should check out both monitors on tftcentral if you want proof about the need to calibrate. The differences between the two panels is the dell being IPS and the Asus being PLS. They are both similar but the dell with give slightly better colour and the Asus will give slightly better contrast. In reality you probably won't even notice the difference. In the end you should choose based off what you need from the monitor. Ie;do you need the USB ports on the side of the monitor? If you don't then simply base it off which one you prefer the look of. There both awesome monitors and you can't really go wrong with either.

Actually, TFTCentral is an in depth monitor review site. They treat any monitor like if it was marketed at a super high end one, and they ignore the price. So it's normal that that high-end consumer grade range monitors, get bashed quiet a bit. The calibration that Dell does is not perfectly accurate as they do a fast calibration process. But, for the small offset is not visible to us, as we don't do color critical work.

It's one of those: "It's better than nothing, and definitely nice to have"

One thing I've noticed with an older Apple Cinema HD Display 23" is a ghosting problem of sorts. The image DID NOT BURN IN like plasma TV's used to or some LCD's. What it did do was ghost portions of the screen underneath notepad++, such as the web browser and file folders. It was almost as if I had a transparency setting turned on within notepad++. (before you go telling me there is such a setting, I will have you know it was off and I'm aware notepad++ actually lets you do this) The funny thing is that it wasn't ever actually burn in, because if I closed down every window or minimized to the desktop, there was absolutely no ghosted images, and everything was pristine and clear. I suspect it's as GoodBytes has said: HDMI vs DVI-Dual Link. I am driving the monitor using an HDMI-DVI adapter from my Samsung NP535U4C-S02CA laptop as the display only has a male DVI plug. No idea what standard the HDMI-DVI adapter supports (1.0, 1.2a, 1.3, etc) which is probably why I'm getting that ghosting. If it were DisplayPort to DVI-Dual Link I'm sure there'd be no problem, but alas the monitor and laptop have neither of those.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I bought a U2713HM a couple of weeks ago. It had a really bad yellow glow coming from the bottom left (beyond typical IPS glow). I read another forum where many people had the same issue, so I contacted dell and they sent out a new one the next day and it was much better. They even have a courier pick up the old one from your house. It is a great monitor although I've never used the Asus one

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

- Albert Einstein

I'm also torn between the two displays. What seems the consensus is that they are about 95% identical and unless you NEED speakers or USB, choose the cheapest one and be done with it. Both seem to have QC problems and you have to return them a couple of times before getting a "good" one. Kinda wish that at 700$ I didn't have to fool around.

I'm also torn between the two displays. What seems the consensus is that they are about 95% identical and unless you NEED speakers or USB, choose the cheapest one and be done with it. Both seem to have QC problems and you have to return them a couple of times before getting a "good" one. Kinda wish that at 700$ I didn't have to fool around.

When I spoke to Dell to get mine swapped it was pretty clear they thought the same thing. It really was quick and painless swapping it over but you're right it's not something you should have to do. If it comes down to price keep an eye on Dells website as I picked mine up from them $240 dollars cheaper when it was on sale. That was Dell's Australian website but I'd assume they would have similar sales internationally.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

- Albert Einstein

That was Dell's Australian website but I'd assume they would have similar sales internationally.

I got mine in Canada on sale as well. $200 off. For the past few weeks Dell has seemed to constantly have sales running on their monitors.

I got mine in Canada on sale as well. $200 off. For the past few weeks Dell has seemed to constantly have sales running on their monitors.

It's not a bad deal, just out of curiosity did you have to return any monitors? D you have any yellow glow in the bottom left when its displaying black/dark?

- Albert Einstein

It's not a bad deal, just out of curiosity did you have to return any monitors? D you have any yellow glow in the bottom left when its displaying black/dark?

No yellow glow for me, apparently that was a very common issue with an earlier revision of the U2713HM, mine is revision 2 I think, so it's been fine.

The first one I received was the second revision as well (Rev A01) when I swapped it they gave me one of the original A00 ones. It still has some glow but you can only see it if you are looking for it so I'm happy enough.

- Albert Einstein