Sennheiser HD 8DJs replace cable

OK I will! Head Fi was a website that Sennheiser recommended. I never even heard of that website. While I am busy quoting reputable sources. Here is something for your ignorance.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/minnesota-audio-society-conducts-cable-comparison-tests-0

I've already seen that. The results could easily be achieved by mere guessing.

5782d78ea7.jpg

I've already seen that. The results could easily be achieved by mere guessing.

"experiment involving over 50 members and guests as our test group"? I would say that's better than a guess...that's preference."

You could easily be considered an idiot by mere guessing! :)

I'm not wasting my time on you, I've got better things to do Just keep on believing that you know it all and see how many real friends you have at the end of the day! ;)

1. I have already stated that hardware, headphones, etc. make the MOST difference

2. While cables make the LEAST amount of difference, they DO make a difference.

"That better cables lessen mechanical failure is one thing, about which there can be little argument. It is The Anstendig Institute’s experience that the main annoyance in audio and video systems is system failure due to mechanical failure of poorly manufactured cables and, especially, connectors. The purchase of well-made, entry-level high-end audio and video cables, with well-designed, professional-quality connectors will save many problems over time. Connectors pull out, inadequately supported connections (wire to connector) break, and connectors oxidize (gold-plating helps here), to name some of the possible problems, most of which usually occur right in the middle of an important audio or visual experience."

"But audiophiles want immediately hearable, objective proof. And so did we. While we have always felt that we heard more expressive nuance with better cables, it was exceedingly difficult to find an example that is both informational and expressive in which we could clearly hear something with the better cables that was obviously missing with the lesser cables. We found it in E. Power Biggs’ record “Heroic Music for Organ and Brass”. In the first selection, the famous “Trumpet Voluntary”, the trumpet trill on the second note of the theme clearly demonstrated an objective, hearable informational-expressive difference between the two rooms. This trumpet player has a particularly wonderful, overtone-rich tone, without harshness or hard edges on attacks, a tone bordering on a true “dolce”. Thus the trill is particularly rich in first order harmonics, which give the sound a regal, wonderfully relaxed, elegant richness. In the “M” cable room, these harmonics were not only clear in timbre, but also clearly articulated in the trill. In the “reference-cable” room, the timbre of the harmonics was still there, but clearly less rich. Most importantly, the articulation of the harmonics during the trill was smeared and unclear and a slight hardness had crept in on attacks. In other words, only the better cable was able to clearly pass the complex fast articulation of the harmonics in the trumpet trill and the subtle, delicate, but extremely fast “rise’ of the tone on the attack. The extreme speed of the trill highlights otherwise less noticeable shortcomings of the lesser cables--shortcomings that do have a profound effect on the final musical experience."

"We can, therefore, report that there is a difference between cables. In fact, with the right program material, that difference is objectively hearable. But, even when not clearly noticeable, it does make a difference in the experience of the program."

"Our recommendation is to first buy the best components you can afford and add better cables as you can afford them. Cables can be bought one piece at a time, but an amplifier or preamp cannot. The source components (i.e., record players, tape machines, video recorders, etc.) should have the least compromise. There is one exception: for taping, you should always use very high quality cables between the source and the recorder, since essential information which is not captured on the recording cannot be put there later."

"The Anstendig Institute, like anyone with an audio, video, or computer setup, is involved with the problem of cables in the installations it uses for its own work and has, with the help of Monster Cable Products Inc., been able to complete a long-term investigation of whether high quality cables make a difference when used in practical, everyday situations."

"Clearly, better cables would not make a worthwhile difference in a low-end hi-fi system with cheap speakers, which is not able to produce the finer nuances that would be apparent if high-end cables really allowed more detail to pass through them. Currently available CD technology also is lacking in these finer nuances. With CD’s, better cables might improve the informational aspects of music (timbre, sound stage, image size and definition, voice spacing, i.e., aspects of sound that do not contain expressive nuance). But expression is the treasure of sound. Most of us want to be emotionally “moved” by our music and CD simply does not capture the finer differences in the articulation of expressive nuances that high end cables might reveal."

Mark B. Anstendig (M.M. - Juilliard)

Many audiophiles and reporters disagree on whether more expensive cables have an effect on audio quality. In 1980 Speaker Builder said that Monster audio cables were "a reasonable investment" and that they out-perform generic 24- or 18- gauge cables. Tests by Stereo Review Magazine in 1983 concluded that Monster cables did not make a difference in the sound and were "indistinguishable" from 16-gauge lamp cord. Smaller gauge numbers equate to larger wire, so this is a comparison to heavier (16 gauge) wire than 18 or 24 gauge speaker wires. The same publication in 1990 said that whether the cables are worth it depends on the application and the user's willingness to pay a premium. The Anstendig Institute did a year-long study in 1996 and found that more expensive Monster cables made a difference in "the most important aspect of sound, especially for music, the expressive nuances."

Whether someone can hear the difference varies from person-to-person. Many reporters and audiophiles have done double-blind a/b listening tests and are unable to hear the difference. The New York Times and PC World have reported not hearing a difference in the sound, while USA Today said Monster had "a slight edge." According to The Anstendig Institute, listeners may have a better experience with the music, even if they cannot consciously tell the difference. According to PC Magazine, Monster is "often accused of selling over-priced cables that you can buy elsewhere for a fraction of the price."

Thickness:

"It should be clear from this table that under some circumstances the cable and the speaker can interact to cause audible resonance."

cable resistance length

gauge ohms/foot for 0.3 dB ripple

(AWG) (both conductors) (feet)

12 0.0032 47.23

14 0.0051 29.70

16 0.0080 18.68

18 0.0128 11.75

20 0.0203 7.39

22 0.0323 4.65

24 0.0513 2.92

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

"experiment involving over 50 members and guests as our test group"? I would say that's better than a guess...that's preference.

All the article shows is that the test subjects thought they had a preference.

You could easily be considered an idiot by mere guessing! :)

Oh very good ad hominem there, sure showed me.

[wall of text]

Long quotes of people saying things, but no data? Gee thanks, exactly what no one asked for or cares about!

All your reviews show is that the you think you know something.

I said I would quote reputable sources and I have.

Numbers are data...oh deaf dumb and blind one.

Thickness:

"It should be clear from this table that under some circumstances the cable and the speaker can interact to cause audible resonance."

cable        resistance                   length
gauge       ohms/foot            for 0.3 dB ripple
(AWG)     (both conductors)        (feet)
12             0.0032                       47.23
14             0.0051                       29.70
16             0.0080                       18.68
18             0.0128                       11.75
20             0.0203                       7.39
22             0.0323                       4.65
24             0.0513                       2.92

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

Calling someone names doesn't make you more right. And copying text and showing data also doesn't prove anything...Audio preference is purely subjective and cables don't really make a difference in sound. That's the general consensus, not even my opinion.

Nobody was even talking to you. I'm just telling the truth. As a former Comcast guy and current IT with a degree don't make me prove how wrong YOU are. Don't you have something better to do than to be a thorn in my side? Because you read it on the web it must be true? I will quote text books and to hell with your websites! This is why I hate forums...it's people like you that ruin it for good people who are only trying to help someone.

Text Books are the last thing I'd rely on when I want to find experiential information on a topic. Most textbooks tend to speak from an entirely conceptual level anyway.

Calling someone names doesn't make you more right. And copying text and showing data also doesn't prove anything...Audio preference is purely subjective and cables don't really make a difference in sound. That's the general consensus, not even my opinion.

^ This.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

hahahahahahahaha, don't make me break out my big book of audio myths.  In EE there is a reason we have formulas for calculating cable size.  It has nothing to do with resonance or SQ.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

But you're a faggot therefore everything that you say is wrong because you are wrong and I am right and you are a faggot because reasons. 

Nobody was even talking to you. I'm just telling the truth. As a former Comcast guy and current IT with a degree don't make me prove how wrong YOU are. Don't you have something better to do than to be a thorn in my side? Because you read it on the web it must be true? I will quote text books and to hell with your websites! This is why I hate forums...it's people like you that ruin it for good people who are only trying to help someone.

oh my FUCK!!! Degree-holding badass, inbound! He's gonna prove how wrong you are! Because none of us forham plebs could possibly have degrees in relevant fields!

oh my FUCK!!! Degree-holding badass, inbound! He's gonna prove how wrong you are! Because none of us forham plebs could possibly have degrees in relevant fields!

I worked for a taxi company, therefore I know everything ever in concrete self righteous fact about the service industry 

I worked for a taxi company, therefore I know everything ever in concrete self righteous fact about the service industry 

But not from Julliard so your opinion about audio is invalid:

"Clearly, better cables would not make a worthwhile difference in a low-end hi-fi system with cheap speakers, which is not able to produce the finer nuances that would be apparent if high-end cables really allowed more detail to pass through them. Currently available CD technology also is lacking in these finer nuances. With CD’s, better cables might improve the informational aspects of music (timbre, sound stage, image size and definition, voice spacing, i.e., aspects of sound that do not contain expressive nuance). But expression is the treasure of sound. Most of us want to be emotionally “moved” by our music and CD simply does not capture the finer differences in the articulation of expressive nuances that high end cables might reveal."

Mark B. Anstendig (M.M. - Juilliard)

http://youtu.be/jCkl-Vgc4-I?t=2m16s

Pardon me while I go furiously beat my meat to pictures of Juilliard and Millard Fillmore 

I'd be worried if they didn't give you the urge, frankly.

I'd be worried if they didn't give you the urge, frankly.

Fillmore is a fox tho. 

Fillmore is a fox tho. 

Like a whole 5 minutes, surprised it took that long.

Like a whole 5 minutes, surprised it took that long.

Whey. Who said I finished. 

Whey. Who said I finished. 

Oh SHIT, my one-handed typing experience.

Oh SHIT, my one-handed typing experience.

Who said I was typing one handed. :3

well that escalated slowly,  like real slowly,  then at a medium pace, then a little faster until climax with a one handed show down where the ultimate winner was once again not the OP. :o B)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

well that escalated slowly,  like real slowly,  then at a medium pace, then a little faster until climax with a one handed show down where the ultimate winner was once again not the OP. :o B)

ha ha ha yesss. But to be fair, a jerk-off was not the worst thing to come out of this thread.