mini usb turntable

mr moose

I almost want to get it purely because of its size,  Currently valuable real-estate on my desk is occupied by a turntable.

http://www.cplonline.com.au/mbeat-r-portable-usb-turntable-record-player-mb-usbtr06.html

MB-USBTR06_W1LOGO-800x800.jpg

It's also got an early 80's sort of look to it with the hinge and squared of appearance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If only we could wall mount our turntables. 

But... you can! We used to have a Mitsubishi LT-5V mounted on the wall. Man that was an amazing turntable! Too bad it broke...

I am pretty sure it sounds like shit

for $48 it probably does, but I like the size.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm too young for vinyl.  :wacko: Is it really that much better than a CD or Flac?

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm too young for vinyl.  :wacko: Is it really that much better than a CD or Flac?

"DSD demonstrates that 1 bit is sufficient to achieve a SNR that is much better than vinyl. The answer is that the word length must be at least 1 bit.

The bandwidth question is not quite as straightforward. 44.1 kHz is the minimum sample rate that will fully reproduce all audible frequencies while providing some room for the filter transition band. The answer is that the sample rate must be at least 44.1 kHz.

The combination of sample rate, bit depth, and dithering method will determine the what combinations produce sufficient SNR within the audio band. A 1-bit system at 44.1 kHz would produce a 6 dB SNR at best. For every bit-depth, and dithering method, a sample rate can be chosen to produce the desired SNR. If we choose the minimum sample rate, 16-bits are more than sufficient to capture the full SNR of the vinyl recording.

Please note that 44.1/16 is capable of delivering all frequencies up to 20 kHz at full amplitude. Vinyl disks cannot deliver high frequencies at full amplitude. For this reason, high frequencies were always limited when mastering vinyl. 44.1/16 has far more dynamic range at high frequencies than can be recorded on a vinyl record. The engineer can create a brighter mix on a CD, and this is often done.

The source material recorded on vinyl records must be mastered to fit the physical limitations of the format. The physics of the cutting head and the playback needle put significant constraints on the amplitudes that can be recorded at various frequencies. For this reason, vinyl masters are usually mixed differently than CD masters. "

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=93998

copy-paste because it's easier than typing it up myself.

"DSD demonstrates that 1 bit is sufficient to achieve a SNR that is much better than vinyl. The answer is that the word length must be at least 1 bit.

The bandwidth question is not quite as straightforward. 44.1 kHz is the minimum sample rate that will fully reproduce all audible frequencies while providing some room for the filter transition band. The answer is that the sample rate must be at least 44.1 kHz.

The combination of sample rate, bit depth, and dithering method will determine the what combinations produce sufficient SNR within the audio band. A 1-bit system at 44.1 kHz would produce a 6 dB SNR at best. For every bit-depth, and dithering method, a sample rate can be chosen to produce the desired SNR. If we choose the minimum sample rate, 16-bits are more than sufficient to capture the full SNR of the vinyl recording.

Please note that 44.1/16 is capable of delivering all frequencies up to 20 kHz at full amplitude. Vinyl disks cannot deliver high frequencies at full amplitude. For this reason, high frequencies were always limited when mastering vinyl. 44.1/16 has far more dynamic range at high frequencies than can be recorded on a vinyl record. The engineer can create a brighter mix on a CD, and this is often done.

The source material recorded on vinyl records must be mastered to fit the physical limitations of the format. The physics of the cutting head and the playback needle put significant constraints on the amplitudes that can be recorded at various frequencies. For this reason, vinyl masters are usually mixed differently than CD masters. "

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=93998

copy-paste because it's easier than typing it up myself.

Oh okay thanks 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Surely you could change the head?

I don't really see anywhere to adjust the tracking pressure, azimuth and stylus rake angle or anti-skate. So I really doubt you will have a good time replacing the pick-up unless it is one that weighs and has a similar housing. Also due to its nature, there is nothing supporting the vinyl where the pressure goes onto it, no possibility to use a clamp for wavy vinyl, nor would I trust the motor running evenly. There are just too many problems with that turntable to even consider buying it. So using it you will hear rumble, uneven playback and just plain bad sound due to the crappy PU.

Go find a flea market and buy a proper turntable. I found a nice Pioneer PL-518X for 25 DKK which is around 5 USD, which blows away that turntable. It has mechanical return of the arm, direct drive, a good arm, headshell for easy replacement of PU, very sturdy build etc. You might be able to find something similar!

I don't really see anywhere to adjust the tracking pressure, azimuth and stylus rake angle or anti-skate. So I really doubt you will have a good time replacing the pick-up unless it is one that weighs and has a similar housing. Also due to its nature, there is nothing supporting the vinyl where the pressure goes onto it, no possibility to use a clamp for wavy vinyl, nor would I trust the motor running evenly. There are just too many problems with that turntable to even consider buying it. So using it you will hear rumble, uneven playback and just plain bad sound due to the crappy PU.

Go find a flea market and buy a proper turntable. I found a nice Pioneer PL-518X for 25 DKK which is around 5 USD, which blows away that turntable. It has mechanical return of the arm, direct drive, a good arm, headshell for easy replacement of PU, very sturdy build etc. You might be able to find something similar!

I've already got 3 (4 if you count the gramophone :D )  Only posted this because I like the size and would love something smaller for my desk. 

Vinyl is too much work for me.

For me one of the reasons why I like vinyl is exactly because it requires a bit of effort. When you are using vinyl you're more likely to just sit back and enjoy the music properly instead of just having some music playing in the background while you're doing something else.

For me one of the reasons why I like vinyl is exactly because it requires a bit of effort. When you are using vinyl you're more likely to just sit back and enjoy the music properly instead of just having some music playing in the background while you're doing something else.

It's also way too much effort to skip tracks, so you tend to just let it go rather than spending half an hour listening to the first 5 seconds of every song.

It's also way too much effort to skip tracks, so you tend to just let it go rather than spending half an hour listening to the first 5 seconds of every song.

Half the reason why I am in a love/hate relationship with Dark Side (Pink Floyd). Its great to listen to all the way through, but it slowly destroys my original release date copy. 

Half the reason why I am in a love/hate relationship with Dark Side (Pink Floyd). Its great to listen to all the way through, but it slowly destroys my original release date copy. 

I understand.

Exactly, when listening to vinyl I almost always listen the entire album from start to finish.