is filling an SSD safe?

moustacheman
Go to solution Solved by EdgeUK,

So much misinformation.

No, it won't damage your SSD. They are built to put data on after all. Installing a game on your SSD will speed up your load times and potentially higher fps assuming you aren't bottlenecked by the rest of your machine.

so i have 18.5 GB of 120GB free left on my SSD, im looking to download Darksouls II (15GB recommended hard drive space). I heard rumours it be damaging to fill an SSD, are these based on any truth, also will the drives speed decrease? as i keep my OS on it?

thanks in advance :)  

Ps. does anyone know if Darksouls II benefits from being on a SSD over HDD as i can always stick on my hard drive.

Cpu:4670k- at stock.... for now Gpu:r9-280x crossfire Cooler:KrakenX40 MB:mpower SP Ram:8gb hyperX beast 

I'm not too sure about filling up SSDs, but as for the performance increase... installing a game on your SSD will only increase loading times.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Put your program files on your hdd. never use the ssd as a primary drive to save program files in unless you have like 500 + gb ssd

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

It is terrible to fill an SSD because then you no longer have any extra room left to put all your special stuff.

I should be studying.

Filling an SSD Is not dangerous.. An ssd has a lifespan of read and writes not how much stuff is on the drive.... its how much you use it... Also SSD increases load times and not FPS

Its all looks these days

So much misinformation.

No, it won't damage your SSD. They are built to put data on after all. Installing a game on your SSD will speed up your load times and potentially higher fps assuming you aren't bottlenecked by the rest of your machine.

Filling an SSD Is not dangerous.. An ssd has a lifespan of read and writes not how much stuff is on the drive.... its how much you use it... Also SSD increases load times and not FPS

increases load times? that ssd sucks :P

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

Put your program files on your hdd. never use the ssd as a primary drive to save program files in unless you have like 500 + gb ssd

I have an intel 730 480gb and it works fine for me, have tons of programs on their along with about 100gb woth of photos.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

So much misinformation.

ok thanks

i know about the fps thing, its just that some games see a much larger improvement than others in terms of load times when moving from HDD-SSD 

Cpu:4670k- at stock.... for now Gpu:r9-280x crossfire Cooler:KrakenX40 MB:mpower SP Ram:8gb hyperX beast 

you will get slower speed the more full the drive gets, due to the way the wear leveling works

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

So much misinformation.

this is not correct.....

Its all looks these days

ok thanks

i know about the fps thing, its just that some games see a much larger improvement than others in terms of load times when moving from HDD-SSD 

lol that is not entirely correct and definatly not the best answer???

Its all looks these days

I have an intel 730 480gb and it works fine for me, have tons of programs on their along with about 100gb woth of photos.

hence why I said 500 + gb... you have 480 gb so thats relatively close. I didn't say it would slow down anything its just pointless to put anything on an ssd when you can put it on an hdd

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

So much misinformation.

People don't always have enough money to spend on a ssd that has more than 240 gb. My recommendation is always store programs on the hdd since you don't want to be wasting ssd space for anything irrelevant. SSD's only decrease load times when programs are installed on the ssd itself. The smarter method is installing the programs you don't use much on the HDD and programs you use a lot and ESPECIALLY system programs on the SSD to boost load times

People don't always have enough money to spend on a ssd that has more than 240 gb. My recommendation is always store programs on the hdd since you don't want to be wasting ssd space for anything irrelevant. SSD's only decrease load times when programs are installed on the ssd itself. The smarter method is installing the programs you don't use much on the HDD and programs you use a lot and ESPECIALLY system programs on the SSD to boost load times

i spent a lot of money to get an SSD, if i have free space why not use it for games?

i spent a lot of money to get an SSD, if i have free space why not use it for games?

once again, I said not everyone has money to spend on an SSD unlike you.... If you have enough space then put everything on your SSD but if you have less than 240 gb use an hdd

Sure, if that's what you want it will be fine. It won't damage your SSD to fill it up (but may reduce the speeds due to being able to write to less flash concurrently). It will make the game load faster, but won't improve the performance at all.

I know most people said this already, just wanted to collate it :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

FYI you can never fully fill up the ssd. They have around 7% reserved space, unaccessable to user.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian