"How many watts do I need"? Check Here!

Aniallation

I used coolermasters power supply calculator and I got 187 watts I have no idea which power supply to get i cant find anything with 200 watts. HELP!

I used coolermasters power supply calculator and I got 187 watts I have no idea which power supply to get i cant find anything with 200 watts. HELP!

What components are you planning to use?

"Rawr XD"

Yep, it'll be perfect. What 1000w specifically though?

cooler master v1000

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

cooler master v1000

Yes it will be just right for your PC

"Rawr XD"

IS 500 watts enough for 1 HDD and one SSD with an i5-4690k and a EVGA 970 FTW with an MSI Z97 motherboard and 16gb of ram?

IS 500 watts enough for 1 HDD and one SSD with an i5-4690k and a EVGA 970 FTW with an MSI Z97 motherboard and 16gb of ram?

500W is enough, but depends what PSU specifically. A good 500W it'll run no problem, but definitely not a 500W Diablotek.

"Rawr XD"

I already got a CX500M, should i return it? its on its way

CX500M will be fine. If you're in the US though and don't mind not having a modular PSU then the XFX Pro/TS 550W is a better choice for the money

"Rawr XD"

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys will a 650 Power Supply be enough for this?

Power Supply: Super Flower 650 80+ Gold Rated PSU OR Seasonic X 650W Gold

- CPU: Intel Core i7 930 running at stock
- Motherboard: Gigabyte X58 
- RAM: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Triple Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: 1 Corsair SSD and 2 WD 1TB 
- Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 480 SC
- Only 6 120MM fans and 1 200mm(I maybe wrong) fan

I've got an OLD and OBSOLETE system and my current HX850 PSU is failing. I will be using it for more than a year so yes capacitor aging is being thought of, although I'm not sure how it really affects the PSU. I don't want to buy more than what I need so I need your advice on this. Thanks. 

Hey guys will a 650 Power Supply be enough for this?

Power Supply: Super Flower 650 80+ Gold Rated PSU OR Seasonic X 650W Gold

Yes, 650W will be plenty for your PC given that it's a good unit, and Super Flower and Seasonic both make excellent power supplies. 

"Rawr XD"

Thanks Aniallation. I posted it on the other PSU thread but anyway do I need to worry about capacitor aging and stuff? I am planning to have my PSU running at a long time, maybe 2-3 years or even longer. I've  also read from http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/evga_geforce_gtx_480_superclocked_reviewthat the SC consumes around 401Watts at full load. Plus the 930 at 210+ watts which makes a total of around 700 rounded off. I know I'm not going to run it at full load all the time but do I need to be worried about that? I had a HX 620 prior to my 850 and it would shut off at full load.

I've got an OLD and OBSOLETE system and my current HX850 PSU is failing.

Even the first version of the HX850 was release less than 7 years ago IIRC, and it should still be under warranty. Did you request warranty support from Corsair?

Thanks Aniallation. I posted it on the other PSU thread but anyway do I need to worry about capacitor aging and stuff? I am planning to have my PSU running at a long time, maybe 2-3 years or even longer. I've  also read from http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/evga_geforce_gtx_480_superclocked_reviewthat the SC consumes around 401Watts at full load. Plus the 930 at 210+ watts which makes a total of around 700 rounded off. I know I'm not going to run it at full load all the time but do I need to be worried about that? I had a HX 620 prior to my 850 and it would shut off at full load.

159W idle and 401W load for the card on it's own at full load? I'm pretty sure that's not right...

"Rawr XD"

Most reviewers does not have the proper equipments to accurately isolate the power draw of a single component and used something like a Kill-a-Watt to measure it at the wall. 401w gives you a ballpark reading of how much a system with an EVGA GTX 480 SC with an i7-975 EE may draw.

You will need to take into account efficiency as well, so that 401wAC figure would be more closer to 330~350wDC for the entire system.

If you want to have a more isolated power draw, TechPowerUp used an $1500+ USD equipment to do so and had an average power draw of 206wDC and a peak power draw of 230wDC during gaming load. The highest power draw is 321wDC under Furmark - which pretty much is an unrealistic synthetic load that you won't see unless you deliberately run the program. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/N480GTX_GTX_480_Lightning/26.html

Anyways, as long as it is an quality unit, you should not worry about capacitor degradation. Since both the Seasonic X and Super Flower Gold (depending on the model) used high quality Japanese caps, you can expect them to last well beyond 5 years before you see any noticeable performance loss with the PSU.

But like I had asked though, have you attempted a warranty claimed on the HX850? I've seen someone not too long ago able to get an Corsair AX replacement when their HX had failed.

Hi quan, sorry wasn't able to reply to your question. Just got back home. Anyway I tried to have it replaced but I don't have the necessary documents needed for an RMA (lost it and I don't have a soft copy) plus it will cost me a more than half the HX 850's price if I did have it.

I just noticed that the 401W was for the entire system, didn't really read the parenthesis after that which is kinda silly so yeah my bad. I am planning to buy the Superflower Leadex 650 but if I can find an available Seasonic X 650 then I'd go for it and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help, really appreciate it.  :D

I am planning to buy the Superflower Leadex 650 but if I can find an available Seasonic X 650 then I'd go for it and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help, really appreciate it. 

Super Flower Leadex (aka EVGA G2) is better then Seasonic X :)

"Rawr XD"

I have a Dell T7400 --> http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Precision-T7400-Workstation-Quad-Core/dp/B008OJ30TW

The only difference in the specs that are listed and what I have is that the RAM has been upgraded to 32GB, has 3 HDD drives, and a Quadro FX 550 in it (just to power the display no computing done on here). 

I want to add 2 GTX 970 cards, I checked for the space and they fit perfectly (sorta lol), so would the standard 1000w power supply that comes with the T7400 be enough?

No I am not running this in SLI because this computer is for computational purposes. 

I want to add 2 GTX 970 cards, I checked for the space and they fit perfectly (sorta lol), so would the standard 1000w power supply that comes with the T7400 be enough?

Yes definitely, that PSU is more then plenty to run two 970s along with everything else in the PC.

"Rawr XD"

Yes definitely, that PSU is more then plenty to run two 970s along with everything else in the PC.

So on the workstation the PSU only has two 6 pin connector to power one of the 970. I see there is an 8 pin connector, would one pci- e 8 pin y split to 2 of 6 pin pci-e power cable work to power the other 970?

So on the workstation the PSU only has two 6 pin connector to power one of the 970. I see there is an 8 pin connector, would one pci- e 8 pin y split to 2 of 6 pin pci-e power cable work to power the other 970?

Yes, as long as the connector is an actual PCIe power connector and not a CPU or proprietary one. 

"Rawr XD"

Yes, as long as the connector is an actual PCIe power connector and not a CPU or proprietary one.

Will the 1000w PSU be able to be sufficient if both the cards are under 100% load?

Will the 1000w PSU be able to be sufficient if both the cards are under 100% load?

Definitely. You're not getting even close to 1000W with two 970s.

Under full load, two 970s will be around 320W maximum. The two CPUs considering they're E5450s will be about 180W under load. Add on 100W and you're at 600W for every single part of your PC under full load, which is a highly unrealistic situation. In real-world use you'll be pulling from the PSU maximum about 500W.

"Rawr XD"

Definitely. You're not getting even close to 1000W with two 970s.

Under full load, two 970s will be around 320W maximum. The two CPUs considering they're E5450s will be about 180W under load. Add on 100W and you're at 600W for every single part of your PC under full load, which is a highly unrealistic situation. In real-world use you'll be pulling from the PSU maximum about 500W.

Thanks Aniallation! The GPUs have significantly lowered the time on the computation.

Just an update, I finally bought the SuperFlower Leadex Gold 650W,  My 5V is always at 4.946-4.919, I haven't seen it go to an actual 5V. I'm using Aida, HWmonitor and also checked the bios sensors and all of them are displaying the same results. Should I be concerned about that? 

3RWsglh.png