"How many watts do I need"? Check Here!

Aniallation
1 hour ago, LightParticle said:

Ryzen 5 2600 (+overclock) + 4x8Gb 2666 (+Overclock) + GTX 1080 Ti +  additional (4 sata, 4 x120mm fan and peripherals) will be 550W  enough? For work&homemedia and rarely gaming.

p/s basic overclocking

Yeah, it'll be fine.
I have a GTX1080Ti under load at the moment [folding] and power draw from the wall is sitting at 270W. I really need to push the overclock on both the GPU and CPU (i7 6700K) to get over 500W. You'll be fine with a Ryzen 2600.

Just make sure it's a high quality 550W unit, it is a 1080Ti after all...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys new user here. Need help on purchasing a new power supply for this set up. I'm from the Philippines, and budget's around $100 or so (5000 pesos)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JPCnfH

I'm planning to upgrade the stock cooler to a Cryorig H7 Plus, and upgrade the GTX 1050Ti to RX 580, GTX 1660, GTX 1660Ti, or RTX 2060 (not sure yet). Will 550W suffice or should I go for 650W instead?

Thanks!

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X | Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz Patriot Viper Steel | GPU: ASUS Phoenix GTX 1050Ti | PSU: Corsair TX650M | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 55 | Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire | SSD: WD Green 480GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Monitor: Dell P2214H  

22 minutes ago, brishcanae said:

I'm planning to upgrade the stock cooler to a Cryorig H7 Plus, and upgrade the GTX 1050Ti to RX 580, GTX 1660, GTX 1660Ti, or RTX 2060 (not sure yet). Will 550W suffice or should I go for 650W instead?

That system will be like 150-300W (depending on graphics card). No need for 650w or even 550w. A decent 450W unit will be fine.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That system will be like 150-300W (depending on graphics card). No need for 650w or even 550w. A decent 450W unit will be fine.

Even when it's auto OCed? OuterVision® PS Calculator says I need 650W when I try inputting an OC value of 4.1 GHz, 1.2V and an RTX2060.

https://outervision.com/b/vFu3cj

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X | Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz Patriot Viper Steel | GPU: ASUS Phoenix GTX 1050Ti | PSU: Corsair TX650M | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 55 | Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire | SSD: WD Green 480GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Monitor: Dell P2214H  

Just now, brishcanae said:

Even when it's auto OCed? OuterVision® PS Calculator says I need 650W when I try inputting an OC value of 4.1 GHz, 1.2V and an RTX2060.

https://outervision.com/b/vFu3cj

650W? Definitely not. When I click the link you posted it shows 430W. And even then Outervision is wrong and overestimates by at least 100W.

Spoiler

image.png.432ef8182a1bb4a46a979e5592d2875b.png

50 minutes ago, brishcanae said:

Hi guys new user here. Need help on purchasing a new power supply for this set up. I'm from the Philippines, and budget's around $100 or so (5000 pesos)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JPCnfH

If you need help with purchasing a PSU in Philippines, then we need to know what power supplies are available in Philippines. 

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

650W? Definitely not. When I click the link you posted it shows 430W.

I meant their recommended power supply that I should be buying.

And even then Outervision is wrong and overestimates by at least 100W.

Oh I didn't know that. I guess I'd change to 450W instead. Thank you!

Just now, brishcanae said:

I meant their recommended power supply that I should be buying.

Outervision makes money by recommending/advertising certain brands/models of PSUs. If they recommend you a 650W PSU, then that's just what they were paid to advertise.

4 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

If you need help with purchasing a PSU in Philippines, then we need to know what power supplies are available in Philippines. 

Lazada.com.ph and PCX.com.ph are the main PC sites in Philippines I see people use.... I think Lazada is more of an eBay or Amazon type deal (multiple third party sellers on one platform), where PCX is an actual store. Lazada can be a pain to navigate as you'll often find the same items listed multiple times with different prices from different sellers.
Few of the main brands like Corsair, Cooler Master, Seasonic, EVGA, Thermaltake, FSP, Silverstone, etc. Usually really inflated prices so USD$100 for a Corsair CX450M type deal.

EVGA GD 550W on Lazada.ph seems reasonably priced at 4300 Pesos
Also found a CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 550W for 4300 Pesos as well.

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Common PSU brands in the Philippines include Be Quiet!, Corsair, Thermaltake, Seasonic, and FSP. Other brands are also available but most of them are not recommended in the PSU Tier List or are really pricey.

These are some that I found that are within my budget:
BeQuiet Straight Power 10 500W CM 80+ Gold - ₱4,650.00
Corsair TX550M - ₱4470.00
Seasonic Focus Gold 550FM - ₱4120.00
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 PSU - ₱4,990.00

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Lazada.com.ph and PCX.com.ph are the main PC sites in Philippines I see people use.... I think Lazada is more of an eBay or Amazon type deal (multiple third party sellers on one platform), where PCX is an actual store. Lazada can be a pain to navigate as you'll often find the same items listed multiple times with different prices from different sellers.
Few of the main brands like Corsair, Cooler Master, Seasonic, EVGA, Thermaltake, FSP, Silverstone, etc. Usually really inflated prices so USD$100 for a Corsair CX450M type deal.

EVGA GD 550W on Lazada.ph seems reasonably priced at 4300 Pesos
Also found a CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 550W for 4300 Pesos as well.

Yep, both Lazada and PCX are go-to. Also these stores/sites as well:

Dynaquest PC - https://dynaquestpc.com/collections/power-supply

PCHub - https://awesome-table.com/-KrkkVbKZR_HZ2x8lsHk/view

3 minutes ago, brishcanae said:

These are some that I found that are within my budget:
BeQuiet Straight Power 10 500W CM 80+ Gold - ₱4,650.00
Corsair TX550M - ₱4470.00
Seasonic Focus Gold 550FM - ₱4120.00
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 PSU - ₱4,990.00

Those are good...
No need for 650W so I wouldn't spend 5000 on the MWE Gold 650W.

BeQuiet Straight Power 10 would be the best of that bunch, I'd go with that one.

2 minutes ago, brishcanae said:

Yep, both Lazada and PCX are go-to. Also these stores/sites as well:

Dynaquest PC - https://dynaquestpc.com/collections/power-supply

PCHub - https://awesome-table.com/-KrkkVbKZR_HZ2x8lsHk/view

I'll have to remember those. Always lots of people from Philippines looking for PSU help. Actually looks like some good prices on Dynaquest as well.

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

BeQuiet Straight Power 10 would be the best of that bunch, I'd go with that one.

I'll have to remember those. Always lots of people from Philippines looking for PSU help. Actually looks like some good prices on Dynaquest as well.

All right I will go for the BeQuiet then. Thank you so much!

updated post 5/30/19.  overall current power draw. precision  mode used in cards(did not know that was  thing)

its at 650 watts.

if you guys wanting to know. i would have put 4 cards in. but with most current cards taken a tong of space. it was not possible with out custom water cooling.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

• 1 month later...

Planning to build

r5 2600

rx 570 4gb/gtx 1060 6gb

16gb ram (2x8gb 3000mhz or 3200mhz)

1 m.2 nvme ssd

and maybe later down the road add 1 more sata ssd

I'm assuming this kind of build wont ever need more than 450W, am I correct?

28 minutes ago, euviridis said:

Yeah. 450w would be plenty. Should see about 250w max from that system.

4 hours ago, euviridis said:

You need a good quality PSU!
Wattage is secondary.

Where you live, what's available? What are you planning on getting??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 6/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, Stefan Payne said:

You need a good quality PSU!
Wattage is secondary.

Where you live, what's available? What are you planning on getting??

I will get a good quality psu, I live in Indonesia, EVGA is not available, the ones that are available and the prices is not gouged that much is seasonic focus plus gold 550W, good enough?

sorry, wrong thread

Edited by euviridis
sorry wrong thread

Only I, the true squirrel, can help you.

Best for your situation is a 750 Watt TRUE POWER Antec.

true.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I'm planning to build :

Amd ryzen 5 2400G

GTX 1050 ti 4gb (low profile)

SSHD 1TB

2x 8gb DDR4 Ram

DVD drive

This is my first time building a computer from scratch, and i'm starting to get really confused, because Wattage calculators say I need anything from 173W to 662W. I have no intention of overclocking. Will 400W be enough? or 500W? or do i need to go higher? (I plan on buying 80+ bronze power supply if that makes any difference)

Your configuration is really poorly chosen.

2400g has integrated graphics that's maybe 80% of the performance of a GTX 1050 ti - seems like a waste of money to buy a 2400g and then use a dedicated graphics card.

It would make more sense to look for a Ryzen 1600 - it has six cores and twelve threads and should cost about the same, because it should be on sale... There's Ryzen 2600 and in a week or two there's gonna be Ryzen 3rd generation, so prices will keep going lower on these 1st generation and possibly even 2nd generation processors.

Also, there's not really any point in going with a SSHD, it would not improve performance significantly over a regular hard drive... would be better to just get a bigger hard drive and later when you have money, maybe get a proper SSD and reinstall Windows on that SSD.

Also, you don't mention it, but try to get DDR4 with frequency above 2666 Mhz, because Ryzen processors like faster memory.

Anyway, to get to the power consumption

A regular hard drive will consume around 8 watts.

A fan or a CPU cooler will consume around 2-3 watts.

A DVD drive will consume around 5-10 watts when disc spins inside

A SSD will consume maybe around 3 watts on average.

The motherboard will consume maybe 15-30 watts (the chipset, RAM sticks, integrated sound, network etc)

The processor will consume maybe around 50 watts, a bit more if you're going to use the integrated graphics.

The video card will use around 70-80 watts. 

For reference, a video card's maximum power consumption is restricted by the connectors on the video card: a video card must not consume more than 75w from the pci-e slot, 75w through any pci-e 6pin connectors and 150w through any pci-e 8 pin connectors.

So if your GTX 1050ti has a single pci-e 6pin connector, the video card must not consume more than 75w+75w = 150w ... but for example, if a video card may consume up to 80-90w, so just a bit above the 75w limit, the manufacturer will have to install a pci-e 6pin connector... doesn't mean the video card will actually consume 150w.

A power supply produces power to components and generates 3 main voltages: 12v , 5v and 3.3v

The most power hungry devices - cpu, video card, fans, cooler - are powered from 12v, so it's important that the power supply must be able to provide enough power on the 12v output. 

You may have a 400w power supply, but the power supply may only be able to produce 250w on 12v, with the rest of 150w on 3.3v and 5v. If your video card and CPU need more than 250w, then the power supply would not be good for you, even though it says 400w on it.

So with the numbers above, I would reserve 80w for CPU , 100w for video card, 40w for motherboard and around 30w for the other components, which adds up to 250 watts. 

I would add around 25% to this number, just in case you'll want to upgrade to a more powerful video card in the future, or a more powerful processor.

Also, the price differences between a 400w power supply and a 500w power supply or a 600w power supply are usually so small, that it's not really worth going for the lowest wattage power supplies.

Even though you could build a system with a decent 350w power supply, my recommendation would be to go with a 450w...500w power supply as you'll either pay only a couple dollars more or it may even be cheaper (because 450w psus will be sold in higher quantity compared to 350w models so they'll be cheaper)

• 2 weeks later...

How many watts do i need if i have Ryzen 5 2600x, RX 590 FatBoy and 16 GB of ram?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2014 at 11:24 PM, Aniallation said:

Just a general reference for "how much wattage do I need" questions that are filling the forum. Check these and you'll have a general idea of where to start for shopping for a power supply, and questions can be diverted from "how many watts do I need" to a much more specific "what power supply should I get within my budget that will power a system that needs XXX watts"

Briefing on buying a quality power supply:

Shopping for a power supply is not all about wattage. As much as your mind or people might make it seem like so, it's not. It's about multiple factors, however the most important things are the quality of the PSU and the amps on the 12V rail. Not just watts. This is why the question of "how many watts of a PSU do I need" is becoming drowned out nowadays, because it's no longer a large variable

Info on PSU quality:

Reveal hidden contents

As far as PSU quality goes, again, take a look online. If there's a PSU you have your mind set on, take some time to go on Google and take a look at the reviews by websites like Jonnyguru, HardOCP, and others, to see what people are actually saying about that power supply. If it's good, then follow your dreams! It's not worth risking buying a poor quality power supply for a high-end system because it's cheap or it's a brand you like. Also, use common sense. Don't buy a metal gray box Diablotek power supply because it advertises 600W for half the price of brand names like EVGA.

Note the OEM of the power supply, often mentioned in reviews. Not every company makes their own power supples. Most brand-name PSU's are made by other companies. However due to the huge variability of PSUs on the market, we can't possibly cover it all, so if you have a hard time finding information on a PSU, take some numbers from here, and create a thread in this section containing your location and budget, to have some members of our community help you out.

Here are some good OEM checking resources:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

And remember, 80 Plus ratings are just efficiency ratings. They are not the rating of how good a power supply is

Info on PSU 12V rail amps:

Hidden Content

On with the numbers!

Again, These numbers are established assuming you are using a quality power supply. The overclocks are also based on heavy overclocking, including overvolting. 

Hidden Content

Another way you could get a rough estimate on your own, is take the TDP of the CPU + GPU(s) and add 100W for other components. This should give you a rough estimate of the maximum power draw your PC will require at stock clock speeds.

Use these numbers when shopping for a power supply, but if you're not sure of specifically what model to get, there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking! Create a thread in this section that contains your location (country is fine), preferred store or retailer (if any), and your budget. Our community members will be happy to assist you find a good quality power supply that will be quiet, efficient, and reliable. 

Hope this reference guide was of help to you if you're looking to get a new PSU to upgrade or for a build. If there's anything that you feel can be added to this, or if you have any questions then let myself know. This thread is a work in progress and I'll do my best to keep working on it so leave suggestions!  :D Thanks for looking!

Changelog:

Hidden Content

So im gonna build a new pc and the specs im planning go to with are:

R5 2600 (cooler: Deepcool gammax 400 130w tdp)

Zotac Gtx 1660 Ti Amp

WD 240gb M.2 ssd

(Im also reusing my old Seagate and Hitachi 3Gb/s 7.2k rpm drives from old pc )

Aorus B450 pro mobo

Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz ddr4 (2×8gb dimms).

Now i can i would like to ask for power supply recommendations. The one that my budget is allowing right now is a CX650. Idrk what to do because idk much about power supplies. Can someone please help me out here?