"How many watts do I need"? Check Here!

Aniallation
5 hours ago, LZQ said:

I want to built a PC but i don't know how much power does my PC needs.For CPU:i5 7600k, GPU:Zotac Gtx 1060 mini 6gb, Ram:2×4gb Kingston hyperx, Motherboard:Ausus Rog strix B250H gaming, Cpu cooler:cooler master MasterLiquid 240 AIO liquid cooler, SSD:Samsung 850 EVO lll 2.5 SSD 250GB, HDD:WD 1TB, CASE Cooler master Masterbox Lite 5 Atx case full window, Case fan: 4 Corsair Air Serise 120mm.

1. i5-7600K makes no sense. Don't buy quad cores these days if you can get a 6 or 8 core. Get a ryzen 1600(X), that's better value for the money. 

2. a K-CPU with a B-Series Motherboard makes less sense -> get a Ryzen there you don't have to worry about the OC stuff. All Chipsets have that enabled, all CPUs have that enabled. Not like Intel where you have to know what you are buying if you want overclocking.

3. A good quality 450W PSU like Bitfenix Whisper M and Formula is more than enough.

The thing you thought of won't last long. When you bought what you wanted, you have to save up money for the next PC.

If you buy a 6core however, it can last much longer because of the cores.

It was the same shit ~10 Years ago with Dual Cores vs. Quad Cores.

Everybody said that the higher clocked Dual Cores were better for gaming - and they were at the time.

But a couple of years down the line, everyone with the Dual COre had to upgrade, the ones with the Quads didn't have to, they still could use that CPU for far longer due to the more cores...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Wanted to get some advise as to what watt would best fit me.

Building a new PC here are the parts I have.  i have tried to do research, but I'm getting conflicting numbers.

Graphics - Nvidia Gforce 1070Ti

Mother board is unknown - but maybe -  https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-970A-DS3P-FX-6Gbps-Motherboard/dp/B074QCKSYZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511935638&sr=1-1&keywords=am3%2Bmotherboard&th=1

AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor 

1 set of  CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

western digital wd30ezrx     3 TB Hard Drive

Sony DVD Burner / CD Drive

If you need anything else let me know.  That's all I'm going to put inside.

Note- Not doing any funny stuff. No Over Clocking or anything.  I live in the USA.

I really appreciate it.  Thank you for the advice. :)

@B1ue19

Welcome!

I dont mean to be rude but, If you are going to get something new get something new.

Im on the cheaper end of the FX line myself and, while it still works, it definitly shows its age (came out in 2013). I would not recommend the FX processor, particularly new, unless you already have it and/or you are working on some sort of projects that can make good use of it's cores.

What power supply you should get.

As your system is proposed. I would say you want at least a 500w power supply and would be better off with something a bit higher. FX is very power hungry, if you switched to a ryzen you would be fine with a decent 450w power supply.

What you should get instead.
If you are looking to primarly game and browse the internet you would be better off getting a lower end ryzen 5 or higher end ryzen 3, or comperable intel chip though I am less familier with them. Part of this is becouse FX multicores aren't quite the same as a normal multithreaded multicores or whatever it is that it gets called depending on the system. (multithreaded multicores are more efficent particularly in terms of power becouse CS system user interactions between what level of your system does what). I would honestly drop your video card 100$ or so and get a better processor. The FX is going to bottleneck your GPU anyway so you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of it. That being said it would require more expensive ram but you could save a bit on the PSU, the CPU and motherboard would be the same price as your examples. If you got basic matx b350 board and a ryzen 1300x, its even cheaper if you got an A350 board, not that I recommend scraping the bottom of the barrel. Based on you not wanting to overclock I would recommend the ryzen 1300x or 1500x.

6 hours ago, B1ue19 said:

Getting a evga 600w psu. 

Why??
Wich one??

There are also bad EVGA PSU...

8 hours ago, B1ue19 said:

Not the best.
Get a bit of more money and get one with DC-DC

8 hours ago, B1ue19 said:

I wasn't aware. I thought they were a reputable company. Along with Corsair

Every company has good units and bad units that's why it doesn't make much sense to buy by brand.

You always have to look at the thing you're gonna buy...

Hello,

I understand.  The unit that i picked, is that a reliable piece of hardware?

1 hour ago, B1ue19 said:

Hello,

I understand.  The unit that i picked, is that a reliable piece of hardware?

Not really.

It's what I would call "system integrator range" wich isn't something you'd desire as an enduser.

You have to keep in mind that with PSU if you spend just 5-10 bucks more, you can get so much more in quality wich also translates to expected usage time.

What I'd recommend is something like Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M.

If available for a reasonable price: be quiet Pure Power 10.

500W is more than enough, you should go rather for quality and less wattage.

A high qualty 450W unit is way better in the long run than a shitty 600W and about the same price...

Hello,

Do you have a link for Amazon or Newegg?

I don't see anyone selling it. :(

I appreciate all the help :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new on picking pieces for my computer and I'm planning to buy the Gigabyte 1050 ti GPU and i don't know if I should stay with my PSU or buy a new one, maybe Corsair VS450 or EVGA 500W because some guy in a store told me that I need another PSU. I'm an college student and don't have too much money but I'm planning to buy new CPU, Motherboard, RAM and a SSD in a couple of years and stay with the rest (I don't care a lot for graphics with mid or high resolution I'm fine). Please someone could help me here, thank you :)

Intel Core i3 4170 CPU @ 3.70 Ghz

8GB (x2 4GB) DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury

ASUS H81M-PLUS

AeroCool V2X

AeroCool VX-450

Grabador DVD-Writer SATA GH24NSD1

Seagate HDD ST1000DM003 1TB

Gigabyte 1050 ti 4GB

I'm using this videos as reference, should I OC or better not?

watch?v=i-rPUdu1ODc

watch?v=rtooG8VPVpU

watch?v=RsbK91V7YJk

Hey

My PC Specs are as follows

Processor:       Intel i5 7500

RAM :              2x 8  GB (2400 Mhz)DDR4 Ram

Motherboard : MSi B250 M Pro-VH

2 HDD           ; 1TB WD @ 7200 RPM & 500 Gb WD @5400 RPM

2 x Fans(Normal) & 1x LED Fan  & One DVD Writer 

Later I'll be upgrading  to a Graphic Card under 200 Dollars

So How Much Power Supply should I take ....... VS 550 W OR VS 650W  Both @ 80 Plus Efficiency

Note No Overclocking to be taken into consideration

Plz Help  ;)

23 minutes ago, Kush_13 said:

So How Much Power Supply should I take ....... VS 550 W OR VS 650W  Both @ 80 Plus Efficiency

to begin with you shouldn't even get Corsair VS power supplies those are garbage:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

38 minutes ago, Kush_13 said:

Hey

My PC Specs are as follows

Processor:       Intel i5 7500

RAM :              2x 8  GB (2400 Mhz)DDR4 Ram

Motherboard : MSi B250 M Pro-VH

2 HDD           ; 1TB WD @ 7200 RPM & 500 Gb WD @5400 RPM

2 x Fans(Normal) & 1x LED Fan  & One DVD Writer 

Later I'll be upgrading  to a Graphic Card under 200 Dollars

Plz Help  ;)

Are you planning to get those parts, or do you already have them?

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Are you planning to get those parts, or do you already have them?

Planning

7 minutes ago, Kush_13 said:

Planning

Don't get Kaby Lake, either get Coffee or Ryzen. For a budget build, and with these RAM prices, get 8GB, not 16.

Don't get 2 HDDs. Preferably, get a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. If you can't afford both, just get the SSD. 

The VS Series is crap. The CX450 is a much better PSU, and should cost about the same. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Don't get Kaby Lake, either get Coffee or Ryzen. For a budget build, and with these RAM prices, get 8GB, not 16.

Don't get 2 HDDs. Preferably, get a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. If you can't afford both, just get the SSD. 

The VS Series is crap. The CX450 is a much better PSU, and should cost about the same. 

But How much Watts 550 or 650

Just now, Kush_13 said:

But How much Watts 550 or 650

For wattage, 300W is plenty. The issue is the quality of the PSU. The CX450 is usually the cheapest decent PSU

I'd like to check that the PSU I am looking at is an OK unit.

I have spent so many hours reading about PSU's that my eyes are tired but the SeaSonic brand seem to have good reviews.

The build is

MSI Z370 Gaming Pro mATX board

i5 8400 processor

Samsung 850 EVO M2 SSD

WD Blue 2TB HDD

8G RAM (2x4)

GTX 1070 ROG Strix 8GB OC Video Card

I'd like to have enough in the PSU to overclock and possibly add a second 1070 one day

Was looking at

SeaSonic G-650W 80Plus Gold Modular PSU

The site I am looking at buying from (umart.com.au as I am in Australia) doesn't have much info on this PSU and although they do have the 550W listed I figured it was only $15 more for the 650W

Thanks in advance for your advice

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/01/2018 at 2:24 PM, McSkirmishpants said:

I have spent so many hours reading about PSU's that my eyes are tired but the SeaSonic brand seem to have good reviews.

The build is

i5 8400 processor

Samsung 850 EVO M2 SSD

WD Blue 2TB HDD

8G RAM (2x4)

I'd like to have enough in the PSU to overclock and possibly add a second 1070 one day

Was looking at

The site I am looking at buying from (umart.com.au as I am in Australia) doesn't have much info on this PSU and although they do have the 550W listed I figured it was only $15 more for the 650W

For $15 more go with the 650 so you have plenty for future upgrades / builds, seasonic are one of the top OEMs for PSUs.

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, Bhav said:

For $15 more go with the 650 so you have plenty for future upgrades / builds, seasonic are one of the top OEMs for PSUs.

That's just nonsense you are spouting right now.

For what do you need a 650W PSU?!

Yeah, right, a HEDT Plattform and highest end GPU like GP102 or VEGA. Sure that's something one would think about...

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's just nonsense you are spouting right now.

For what do you need a 650W PSU?!

Yeah, right, a HEDT Plattform and highest end GPU like GP102 or VEGA. Sure that's something one would think about...

He said he might want SLI .... Maybe read next time.

Linus is my fetish.

On 2.1.2018 at 3:24 PM, McSkirmishpants said:

The build is

i5 8400 processor

Samsung 850 EVO M2 SSD

WD Blue 2TB HDD

8G RAM (2x4)

Was looking at

550W is more than you need. 

That PC will use something like 200-300W, no more..

WIth hard sledgehammer overclocking, maybe a bit more but then you will kill your hardware in a couple of Months anyway, so that isn't desired. 

nVidia even commented on their hardware and said something like the GPU will die with increased Power settings within a year or so. Check out PCGameshardware, there is the interview.

The 15$ more is something you might want to spend on a better unit like Corsair RMx, Bitfenix Whisper M. Maybe be quiet Straight Power 11

Or go for the Platinum version instead.

Just going for the 650W doesn't give you any benefits at all. In some/many cases you get a higher rpm fan and so higher noise. Like the Bitfenix Whisper M where the fan was changed with the quad rail models. 

So you have 100W more, but not lower noise in many cases, because the plattforms are changed around 750W usually, sometimes 850W, you don't have better efficiency.

Basically you pay money for nothing but "believing" it might give you an advantage wich it does not. 

Also it doesn't seem that power consumption of mainstream hardware increased in the last 10 years at all, quite the opposite. If you look at the GF100 and 110 Chips (GTX480/580) and now look at a GTX 1060 wich is about the same price, the power consumption was halved. Even with a 1070 it decreased dramatically.

So no, the 650W only gives you disadvantages for a situation that micht never come  true ever.

10 minutes ago, Bhav said:

He said he might want SLI .... Maybe read next time.

Yeah and how many people have you met that actually do that?!

You know that Ampere is on the Horizon?!

You know how many Games don't support SLI/CF at all?! MOST!

Only if you play the AAA Hardcore Shooters you might get something out of a two GPU setup, but it just doesn't work with all those Japanese games. If Koei Tecmo is on the label, you can be certain it doesn't work or you don't need it anyway because of Framelock. 

So why propagate Bullshit that nobody uses anymore?!