"How many watts do I need"? Check Here!

Aniallation
On 17.8.2014 at 8:54 PM, Aniallation said:

Just a general reference for "how much wattage do I need" questions that are filling the forum. Check these and you'll have a general idea of where to start for shopping for a power supply, and questions can be diverted from "how many watts do I need" to a much more specific "what power supply should I get within my budget that will power a system that needs XXX watts"

Briefing on buying a quality power supply:

Shopping for a power supply is not all about wattage. As much as your mind or people might make it seem like so, it's not. It's about multiple factors, however the most important things are the quality of the PSU and the amps on the 12V rail. Not just watts. This is why the question of "how many watts of a PSU do I need" is becoming drowned out nowadays, because it's no longer a large variable

Info on PSU quality:

Hide contents

As far as PSU quality goes, again, take a look online. If there's a PSU you have your mind set on, take some time to go on Google and take a look at the reviews by websites like Jonnyguru, HardOCP, and others, to see what people are actually saying about that power supply. If it's good, then follow your dreams! It's not worth risking buying a poor quality power supply for a high-end system because it's cheap or it's a brand you like. Also, use common sense. Don't buy a metal gray box Diablotek power supply because it advertises 600W for half the price of brand names like EVGA.

Note the OEM of the power supply, often mentioned in reviews. Not every company makes their own power supples. Most brand-name PSU's are made by other companies. However due to the huge variability of PSUs on the market, we can't possibly cover it all, so if you have a hard time finding information on a PSU, take some numbers from here, and create a thread in this section containing your location and budget, to have some members of our community help you out.

Here are some good OEM checking resources:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

And remember, 80 Plus ratings are just efficiency ratings. They are not the rating of how good a power supply is

Info on PSU 12V rail amps:

Hidden Content

On with the numbers!

Again, These numbers are established assuming you are using a quality power supply. The overclocks are also based on heavy overclocking, including overvolting. 

Hidden Content

Another way you could get a rough estimate on your own, is take the TDP of the CPU + GPU(s) and add 100W for other components. This should give you a rough estimate of the maximum power draw your PC will require at stock clock speeds.

Use these numbers when shopping for a power supply, but if you're not sure of specifically what model to get, there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking! Create a thread in this section that contains your location (country is fine), preferred store or retailer (if any), and your budget. Our community members will be happy to assist you find a good quality power supply that will be quiet, efficient, and reliable. 

Hope this reference guide was of help to you if you're looking to get a new PSU to upgrade or for a build. If there's anything that you feel can be added to this, or if you have any questions then let myself know. This thread is a work in progress and I'll do my best to keep working on it so leave suggestions!  :D Thanks for looking!

Changelog:

Hidden Content

I have this ( https://outervision.com/b/LS7syx )as my plan, and I used a PSU caculator, but I'm not quite shure if a 450W eneugh for my rig or should I get a 500W

On 6/5/2017 at 0:29 PM, begadelavela said:

I will probably order PC parts this week so I want to check it one more time does Corsair CX450M can handle OC Ryzen 1400 on AsRock AB350M DSV, Gigabyte gtx 1060 Xtreme Gaming 6gb also OC, patriot viper 4 3000Mhz 2x4GB and SSD and HDD. System will have 3 120mm fans.

Thanks!

Yes CX450 will be enough.

On 6/7/2017 at 0:33 PM, Jii Koo said:

I have this ( https://outervision.com/b/LS7syx )as my plan, and I used a PSU caculator, but I'm not quite shure if a 450W eneugh for my rig or should I get a 500W

A quality 450W will do, but get a 500W+ for assurance and accommodating for upgrades, QC, etc.

"Rawr XD"

16 hours ago, Aniallation said:

Yes CX450 will be enough.

A quality 450W will do, but get a 500W+ for assurance and accommodating for upgrades, QC, etc.

Thanks!

Hey. I'm looking to buy a PSU for my R7 1800X system ASAP. With the crypto currency mining epidemic, most PSUs in 650+W range have been mostly wiped out where I live. And the best option I have available is a platinum certificate 650W Seasonic. I'm almost sure that it's good enough for an OC'ed 1080ti, but what about upcoming workstation Vega FE's with reported 300W TDP, or something in the range of Titan XP's? What do you think I'll have to buy to be ready for that card or anything similar?

On 6/21/2017 at 10:08 AM, xuman_beink_xd3956 said:

Hey. I'm looking to buy a PSU for my R7 1800X system ASAP. With the crypto currency mining epidemic, most PSUs in 650+W range have been mostly wiped out where I live. And the best option I have available is a platinum certificate 650W Seasonic. I'm almost sure that it's good enough for an OC'ed 1080ti, but what about upcoming workstation Vega FE's with reported 300W TDP, or something in the range of Titan XP's? What do you think I'll have to buy to be ready for that card or anything similar?

With a single 300W card you'll be perfectly fine with a 650W Seasonic.

"Rawr XD"

The numbers for minimum PSU wattage on the first post are WAY overestimated. Base i3 + under 100W GPU = 350W? Complete and utter misinformation. 250W would suffice, and that's with a good 50+W of headroom.

Didn't bother reading after that point. Probably even more of the same garbage.

On 6/25/2017 at 2:44 PM, Asiram said:

The numbers for minimum PSU wattage on the first post are WAY overestimated. Base i3 + under 100W GPU = 350W? Complete and utter misinformation. 250W would suffice, and that's with a good 50+W of headroom.

Didn't bother reading after that point. Probably even more of the same garbage.

So you chose to waste your time replying to this garbage... k

"Rawr XD"

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone

i wanna ask for my build 

i using 

ryzen 1800x

gskill 32GB tridentz (non rgb) 

gigabyte x370 gaming k7

msi gtx 1080ti gaming x

msi gtx 1080ti gaming x running on sli

but i still confuse for my build , if i using 750w psu like a coolermaster vanguard 750w gold is ok?

because in my country ( indonesia ) psu 850 / 1000 / 1200 / 1500 out of stock for long time maybe

i test my rig using my friend psu ( corsair HX 1200 )

using 3dmark fire strike ultra i get 622 watt in watt monitor 

if i using 750w psu is ok or not?

sory my english so bad :(

thanks guys 

On 7/12/2017 at 4:17 PM, Darmawan52 said:

but i still confuse for my build , if i using 750w psu like a coolermaster vanguard 750w gold is ok?

because in my country ( indonesia ) psu 850 / 1000 / 1200 / 1500 out of stock for long time maybe

i test my rig using my friend psu ( corsair HX 1200 )

using 3dmark fire strike ultra i get 622 watt in watt monitor 

if i using 750w psu is ok or not?

With quality 750W PSU like the CM V-Series you'll be fine, especially if you don't really have any in-stock options for higher wattage. 

Keep in mind that a synthetic benchmark is not an accurate representation of a real-world usage scenario, and that using a watt monitor does not account for discrepancies caused by efficiency, accuracy of the monitor, PFC, etc. 

"Rawr XD"

First build question here... 

Setup:

• i3 7350K (Not OC'ed)
  • Noctuna NH-L9I CPU Cooler
  • MSI Pro Series Intel Z270 SLI ATX
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4
  • 2TB HDD
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W

I'd like to add two graphics cards, specifically the MSI Radeon RX 580 4GB. Is this getting dangerously close to my power budget? PC Part Picker rates this build at 545W. 

On 7/15/2017 at 3:19 PM, lkwatson said:

First build question here... 

Setup:

• i3 7350K (Not OC'ed)
  • Noctuna NH-L9I CPU Cooler
  • MSI Pro Series Intel Z270 SLI ATX
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4
  • 2TB HDD
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W

I'd like to add two graphics cards, specifically the MSI Radeon RX 580 4GB. Is this getting dangerously close to my power budget? PC Part Picker rates this build at 545W. 

More realistic question is why are you putting an I3 with a Z270 board, and why would you get two GPUs over one stronger GPU? Also, in your buidl you have the NEX listed for the PSU not the G3. And a single stick of RAM? I think you have more things to think about before the PSU on this one, my friend.

And oh my dear do not pay $560 for an RX 580.

• 3 weeks later...

And the Noctua NH-L9i also is something you'd not really want. 
Though for an i3 it doesn't matter...

But the whole setup is something to think about...

I wouldn't buy an I3 right now also...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Hey all. 

Here's a link to my planned build.

Basically a Ryzen 1700 + GTX 1080 build with a 2017 Corsair TXM 550W PSU. 

Estimated max wattage per PCPartPicker is 369W, was going to do a little OCing so originally I was planning on getting a 650W PSU. I probably don't really need 650W since even at max wattage 550W would be fine, and I doubt I would be at max all that often. Plus there's a pretty good deal on the 550W 2017 TXM right now so I was leaning towards getting that. 

I'm not in a huge rush to finish this build so I'm considering waiting until the Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping season for some deals. 

Thoughts on getting the 550W TXM versus waiting and getting a 650W or a different unit? Looking at price trends I noticed the 650W TXM was recently $60.

Any other input on the build is welcome-Thanks! 

I'd wait a week or two for VEGA 64, if it's better or not. Even if you don't neccessarily want to buy one, the others might reduce the price of the competitive product a bit.

As for the TX-M I don't see why you should buy it and not go for a bit better one.

If there was a high quality 450W unit like Bitfenix Whisper M, that would also a brillant idea. There is no reason to go for 550W except there are no better/good 450W units so you have to get a 550W PSU.

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I'd wait a week or two for VEGA 64, if it's better or not. Even if you don't neccessarily want to buy one, the others might reduce the price of the competitive product a bit.

As for the TX-M I don't see why you should buy it and not go for a bit better one.

If there was a high quality 450W unit like Bitfenix Whisper M, that would also a brillant idea. There is no reason to go for 550W except there are no better/good 450W units so you have to get a 550W PSU.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to wait for definitive benchmarks on the Vega.

I'm pretty busy the next couple months so I'm not in a huge rush to finish the build, so I'm hoping 1080's and/or 1080 Ti's drop back below MSRP but I'm not holding my breath. 

Was just looking at the TX-M since it's cheap and has been very well reviewed so it hit a good price/performance spot for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a computer I just lately upgraded with

MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon, S-AM4

Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000MHz 16GB 2x 8 gb

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Prosessor

nvidia GTX 980ti

2x 500 gb of ssd

and a PSU that is 750 watt

After I changed the Components when booting up my computer often I get bad quality and when I am trying to play some high end games my computer just freez and turns off. Is this the psu. I would think 750 watt would be fine.

With 750W you can almost use the rig twice...

550W is more than enough.

And what 750W?? It just makes more sense to get a better quality 550W than a budget 750W...

750W max, 850W with hardcore overclocking.

1200W is something you'd want for 4 cards.

• 4 weeks later...

I had seen Jayztwocents had made a video on this but wanted to ask here as well to see what you guys are running. 

For GPU's that require dual PCIE connectors.. i.e. two 8 pin connectors or two 6 pin, etc... do you run a splitter off one rail to both connections or do you run two separate PCIE connectors to each connection on the GPU. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

hi all 
im new here..
can someone tell me how many w i need for pc
sec
Intel Core i3 2100 3,10 GHz 
Nvidia GT 520 1GB 
4gb DDR3 RAM
Motherboard is from Lenovo 

1 hour ago, JurletaA said:

hi all 
im new here..
can someone tell me how many w i need for pc
sec
Intel Core i3 2100 3,10 GHz 
Nvidia GT 520 1GB 
4gb DDR3 RAM
Motherboard is from Lenovo 

Use the PSU from the Lenovo.

• 1 month later...

What PSU wattage would I need.

GTX1080 (will be swapping to GTX 2080 when released)

250gb Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD

Strix Z370-G AC MOBO

2 x 16GB 3200mhz RAM

EK D5 water pump

2x 140mm fans

3x 120mm fans

400-550W, depending on what's available...

Budget??

• 2 weeks later...

I want to built a PC but i don't know how much power does my PC needs.For CPU:i5 7600k, GPU:Zotac Gtx 1060 mini 6gb, Ram:2×4gb Kingston hyperx, Motherboard:Ausus Rog strix B250H gaming, Cpu cooler:cooler master MasterLiquid 240 AIO liquid cooler, SSD:Samsung 850 EVO lll 2.5 SSD 250GB, HDD:WD 1TB, CASE Cooler master Masterbox Lite 5 Atx case full window, Case fan: 4 Corsair Air Serise 120mm.