Network layout showoff

Ssoele
On 8/17/2014 at 7:24 AM, Ssoele said:

This thread is meant to show us your network layout.

Some rules

• You must have a proper network diagram; Something made in Microsoft Visio, Gliffy (Free) or something similar.
  • No all-in-one boxes; There is not much to show off if your network only has 1 networking device.
  • It must be your own network; Don't try to impress by showing off a corporate network, we are looking for consumer networks :D

I will start off with showing my home network

05992714c4.png

Networks

• 0.x (Green, 0.0.0.0/0): This is the network directly from the modem, unfiltered. Settopboxes are set on a VLAN so they can communicate with my ISPs interactive services.
  • 1.x (Blue, 172.16.0.0/12): This is our main network, all normal clients are connected via WiFi or on switch 1.2 and 1.3.
  • 2.x (Orange, 192.168.0.0/16): This is our public network, everyone can connect to our public hotspot, but can't access our main network.

Switches

• 0.1: TP-Link TL-SG3424
  • 1.1: TP-Link TL-SG3424
  • 1.2: TP-Link TL-SG2424
  • 1.3: TP-Link TL-SG3210
  • 2.1: TP-Link TL-SG3424

Gateways

• 1.1: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-8, this one also does the DHCP for 1.x
  • 2.1: Embedded system based on a APU1C4 running PFSense

DHCP

• 2.1: Embedded system based on a APU1C4 running PFSense

DNS

• 1.1: Supermicro server running Windows Server 2012R2
  • 1.2: Supermicro server running Windows Server 2012R2
  • 2.1: Embedded system based on a APU1C4 running PFSense
  • 2.2: Embedded system based on a APU1C4 running PFSense

Portal

• 2.1: Supermicro server running Windows Server 2012R2 and acting as portal for our hotspot

Access points

• 1.1: Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC
  • 1.2: Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR
  • 1.3: Ubiquiti UniFi AP
  • 2.1: Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

Servers:

• 1.1: Custom server running Minecraft with dedicated IP
  • 1.2: ESXi running multiple VM's
  • 1.3: Custom server running Windows Server 2012R2 and acting as a NAS

What is your up and down speeds and provider.

Here is a little network map that I put together.

The server that is listed on there is not hooked into anything yet. Plex Media server is running off the Alienware desktop as of now.

The NAS will also be migrated into the server case once fully operational.

network map.png

Come hang out with me on Twitch:

https://twitch.tv/DarthChowder

Join my Discord:

https://discord.gg/uQch9d3uRC

• 2 weeks later...

just my simple home network, have yet to have a proper server setup, just have all the wiring in place. A proper server setup would cost my electricity bill so much.

Capture.JPG

Definitely way below most of these, but heres my home network.

The routers and modem are all 10/100

I'll be getting rid of two of the routers when I get another dual band router, but I got the two potatoes used for my family and guest for $15 together. The other router is a dlink dir-810L-b

I know the nas, music server, and gopher could be done with VMs but all my hardware is crap and I use quantity to substitute quality. Plus this gives me more freedom to play around with things.

The wireless failsafe is just a nice feature that runs wifi if the server fails to detect a network.

Right now the vm is running reactOS and the pi is running kali, the music server is daphile, the nas is nas4free, everything else is windows.

network.JPG

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

• 4 weeks later...

My very simple and very wireless home setup. 

I plan to add another access point and a firewall at some point. 

I may even invest in a server and setup a virtual firewall. Only the future will tell....

network.PNG

Motherboard: MSI X99A Sli Plus,       RAM: Corsair CMK32GX4M4A2400C14 Vengeance LPX (32GB),
CPU: Intel i7-5820K,      GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960,       PSU: Corsair Gaming Series GS600,
HDDs: 2x Toshiba P300 1TB 64MB 7200RPM,      SSD: Crucial BX200 240GB
All inside a Corsair Carbide 300R with a Corsair CW-9060007-WW Hydro Series H60.

Have a good day everyone!

Hello all, FNG here... Many years experience with networking, just new to this particular forum. 

Sadly, the state of my home networks have devolved over time, mostly due to budget and free time availability. 

Here was the pinnacle of my Networks. This was in a previous home, which had only garbage coax run on the exterior, and no decent phone lines in the house. The internal wiring in the house was so bad, that I had to take a 100 foot phone cord from the DSL modem to the NID directly when I wanted to get online, because the inside wiring would hardly keep the connection active, it would just roll errors like it was going out of style. 

Here is the rack. I pulled cables to just about each room in the house, only 1 wall plate to each room. Each wall plate had 3 Ethernet 1 Coax jacks. At the time, had ATT U-Verse TV, one jack dedicated to set to boxes, 1 jack for voice line, and 1 jack for data, be it console, PC, etc. Coax I didn't use, but put it in so as not be a D-Bag for the next owners.

networkrank.jpg

This was a sad setup. We rented a place for a couple years AFTER selling previous house, and I wasn't going to put money into wiring it. I just made custom LOOOOOONG cables and pulled them through the drop cieling in the basement, and put one up through a duct to get wires to the living room. This house had wiring from over 60 years ago just for phone. Couldn't even get coax in the house, no drop from the pole, and I wasn't going to be the one to shell out for it as it was a rental. 

20120912_110040_zps4cac1c93.jpg

This is the setup in our current home which we own. This was version 1.1, sitting on a plastic folding table in a closet in the basement. 

20150515_111805.jpg

Here is a CURRENT photo of said network, just snapped it a few minutes ago. I know it is absolutely an eyesore, but it sits locked in the cage (good for hiding giftmas presents early, lol), so I don't have to see it. The DNS-323 from the first image is hiding under all those dead WD Green drives, and other various old drives I have to see if I left any important data on.

20160722_105541.jpg

Network Diagram for current setup, just about everything is in there. There are a few desktops and a laptop which haven't been used in a while. Have no room for the other desktops, and the other laptop is an old gaming one, but has issues, so it sits dormant on the network rack, for now. Also, TYPO on the diagram, the WD Reds are 4 TB, not 6 TB, I WISH... lol.

Network%20Diagram.png

Eventually at some point, once we get our basement near finished, I will be getting a wall mount 8U enclosure, then wiring the house from there, and the ISP equipment and main switch will be in there. I have to do a bit of research down the road, because getting from basement to 2nd floor is a PITA, there is a PVC pipe I can use, but it is too small for a bundle of cables, so I am thinking of running a 10 Gig fiber to some kind of switch that can survive being in an attic. It is powers via PoE that would be great too, could run a few Ethernet cables, plus 2 fibers, some coax, and call it a day. In the next year I am hoping to start on the wiring job, once we get some of the other house projects fully completed at paid off. In its current state, it just WORKS, so it isn't a priority.

I can post more details about the server if you want, currently it just acts as a NAS on the main OS Ubuntu server 14.04 I believe is the version, and has a number of virtual hosts running Plex and a few Minecraft servers which I haven't logged into in months.

Gaming Rig - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock), ND-D15 Chromax Black, MSI Gaming Gaming X Trio RTX 3070, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gig (2 x 16G) DDR4 3600 (stock), Phanteks Eclipse P500A, 5x Noctua NF-P14 redux-1500, Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB (boot), 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB NVMe (game libraries), 2x Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB (storage), 2x Dell (27") S2721DGF, 2x Asus (24") VP249QGR, Windows 10 Pro, SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless, Vive Pro 2, Valve Index

NAS /Plex Server - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB (2U), X8DTN+, 2x E5620 (Stock), 72GB DDR3 ECC, 2x Samsung 860 EVO (500GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2, 2x WD 10TB white label (Easy Store shucks), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Other Servers -2x Supermicro CSE-813M ABC-03 (1U), X9SCL, i3-2120 (stock), 8 Gigs DDR3, 4x Patriot Burst 120GB SSD (Raid10 OS array), Mushkin MKNSSDHL250GB-D8 NVMe (game drive), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - RAID 10 failed after a power outage... dang.

My humble home network. I've got a 500 sqft apartment, so no massive distances or anything. My longest run from switch to switch is 30 ft. The main gear is in a closet with concrete walls, supposedly fire separated. The rest of it is in a closet in the living room, except for the bedroom access point and guest network router.

HomeNetwork.png

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

• 1 month later...

so are these virtualised labs using gns3 / or has anyone purchased the equipment and deployed physically ?

3 hours ago, Teshy09 said:

so are these virtualised labs using gns3 / or has anyone purchased the equipment and deployed physically ?

You can check the first post for the exact rules, but these are supposed to be real, live home networks

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Some of you seem to have fancy equipment but supermicro isnt everything. 1st gen iseries xeons can be overclocked if used with consumer boards and they do overclock very well requiring only a small bump in voltage for a huge increase. for dual socket overclocking you would need the evga board which is a rarity nowadays. Nothing more satisfying than to bring something back from the dead and overclocking it far for practical use.

L.png

You can click here about my modified router. Thick lines indicate LACP or 10Gb/s

GPGPU cluster performs all sorts of tasks such as file server, cluster compilations, etc.

Trying to keep my network as efficient as possible. I do have other switches and routers on standby but they arent used. This means using only 1 switch for efficient switching, having standby/hibernate and remote wake up and shut downs, lots of other things too. Still in the works but this is what i have at the moment. I wire everything i can.

For a bit more detail my GPGPU cluster consists of various architectures. I try to get my hand on the best of every architecture. Even some of the laptops use eGPUs sometimes.

Not many desktops as i've crammed them into 2U rack cases. KVM handled by one of the laptops.

11 hours ago, System Error Message said:

Some of you seem to have fancy equipment but supermicro isnt everything. 1st gen iseries xeons can be overclocked if used with consumer boards and they do overclock very well requiring only a small bump in voltage for a huge increase. for dual socket overclocking you would need the evga board which is a rarity nowadays. Nothing more satisfying than to bring something back from the dead and overclocking it far for practical use.

L.png

You can click here about my modified router. Thick lines indicate LACP or 10Gb/s

GPGPU cluster performs all sorts of tasks such as file server, cluster compilations, etc.

Trying to keep my network as efficient as possible. I do have other switches and routers on standby but they arent used. This means using only 1 switch for efficient switching, having standby/hibernate and remote wake up and shut downs, lots of other things too. Still in the works but this is what i have at the moment. I wire everything i can.

For a bit more detail my GPGPU cluster consists of various architectures. I try to get my hand on the best of every architecture. Even some of the laptops use eGPUs sometimes.

Not many desktops as i've crammed them into 2U rack cases. KVM handled by one of the laptops.

Out of curiosity, what are are you using to manage your GPGPU cluster? Have you looked into using infiniband to increase throughput between slaves and the host? I've heard infiniband with DMA to the GPUs can offer an nifty speed increase when compared to traditional 10Gbps Ethernet (in some use cases).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

11 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Out of curiosity, what are are you using to manage your GPGPU cluster? Have you looked into using infiniband to increase throughput between slaves and the host? I've heard infiniband with DMA to the GPUs can offer an nifty speed increase when compared to traditional 10Gbps Ethernet (in some use cases).

I use SFP+ direct. Most wired things are close to the switch. As for DMA to the GPUs depends on the linux drivers, software and if the GPUs themselves support it as i use consumer GPUs. Windows doesnt support the NICs used not even windows server and LACP is an important feature for me. Some of them use SFP+ and some use quad port intel server NICs. They consist of unequal systems so the faster ones get SFP+ and slower ones get intel server NICs.

As for speed its not an issue but using ssh eats a significant amount of a CPU when you start hitting 1Gb/s.

Some notes.

All NICs are 1000/100/10 unless otherwise noted, all lines are CAT 5e, all switches are unmanaged TPLink 1000/100/10.

Home Network.png

8 hours ago, krowhill said:

Some notes.

All NICs are 1000/100/10 unless otherwise noted, all lines are CAT 5e, all switches are unmanaged TPLink 1000/100/10.

Home Network.png

What thin client are you using? Every result I've found for Vcenter shows it was something from back in the ESXi 3 days

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I just got a L300 by NComputing, I haven't set it up yet, so I am not entirely sure, I believe it just means I have to install a software package on the VM itself.  The price was good so I picked it up.

On 9/30/2016 at 1:46 AM, brwainer said:

What thin client are you using? Every result I've found for Vcenter shows it was something from back in the ESXi 3 days

I just picked up a NComputing L300 for $40USD, I haven't actually set it up, from what I understand all that it requires is installing a client program on the VM itself.

On 07/09/2016 at 9:58 AM, Teshy09 said:

They're all meant to be environments that users are running at home.

I should also probably get around to posting mine once it's completed xD

This is it, finally got around to making one of these thanks to it being a requirement for my networking class. We are currently thinking of building a NAS out of old computer parts and new HDD to add to our massive home network.

My Home Network 2016.10.3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So this is my home network. Not best, I only did it because I was extremely sick of consumer hardware. Although, that's another story.

Basically the network cable comes in from Telstra, Which from who I buy a 100/2mbit connection. I only really get about 40/0.8mbit. Its better than ADSL here though.

Then It goes in to the Telstra provided router. Then into my new Edgerouter POE. From there it's going into my home network wireless, and my 24 port EdgeSwitch.

I also have 2 Synology NAS's. One at my house and the backup at the neighbours. The EdgeSwitch also connects to about 10 computers. The router also connects to a backbone ubiquiti dish link (Linus showed it here). I have a receiver on the other side as well as a another consumer grade router, of which the owner of the second house chose. I also provided them a Ubnt UAP-AC-LR, which I manage from a PC In my rack which runs UBNT Controller.

Future Plans:

• Run a wired cable from my house to the neighbours.
  • Include them home phone.

Notes

• The neighbours are family relatives and don't pay.
  • There QOSed to 5mbit/0.1mbit

Thanks for any suggestions. This was all done on a budget.

Note: I put in a rackmount NAS on accident. (I Actually have 2 DS412+'s), One in the current spot and one backup connected to the receiver at the neighbours house for backups.

Capture.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 0:42 PM, TheRoss0411 said:

I can't even bridge my two routers

My Virgin Media Superhub has absolutely pants WiFi...took me a good 15mins to get the damn thing to recognise a second router to handle WiFi with the Superhubs radio turned off.

And, I've done it before. Unfortunately, networking usually decides to do whatever the hell it wants and only rewards persistence. If you think it will work straight off...you're gonna have a bad time mkay ?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Now all we need is a network diagram of an ISP internal network setup and we will all be home free, till next term, studying.

Complex stuff....