Network layout showoff

Ssoele

My home:
oOjpFqF.png
Solid = Wired
Dashed = Wireless

Lounge Gramofon hooked up to home theatre.
Kitchen Gramofon hooked up to Logitech 2.0 PC speakers.
Use both for multiroom Spotify

Will soon purchase a third Gramofon to extend the Spotify to the study/dining room - I've only recently got an amplifier for the bookcase speakers in there (currently hooked up to the iMac).

Each Gramofon is an access point and extends Mikrotik's SSID for my devices - also hosts the fon hotspot for guest access - auto allows my Facebook friend to access.

NadLNpi.png

Here's my lowly home network.

Just set up my SuperHub2 in Modem Mode for the first time, using it with a DNSMask to my LAN so I can use Deep Packet Inspection.

Fu**ing love Ubiquity Networks products.

Wireless clients not shown because it'd be annoying to add them all.

I had to do a quick mock on one of our customers network, the better I get at this stuff, My boss wants me to do more customers so this will be fun and interesting for comparisons and such.

I need to make it look neater for others to view, but I think it is acceptable :P

I would key in the cables etc.. but maybe I'll do that when we next go up London.

wvAQn1N.png

Laptops all have docking stations on the desk.

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

audioquest diamond cable, i win.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

I used yED Graph editor but inserted my own pictures of the items because the pictures they had sucked.

post-181294-0-50354100-1448174765_thumb.

- HP Z800 with 2 x Xeon X5672 - 3.2GHz CPUs - 4 core 8 thread each, 48GB of ECC Registered memory, Crucial BX100 250GB SSD, 1TB WD Enterprise HDD, GTX 970 Reference.

- HP EliteBook 8560w with Core i7-2760QM - 2.4 to 3.5GHz - 4 core 8 thread, 32GB DDR3-1333, Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB SSD, 2TB Samsung 2.5 inch HDD, Nvidia Quadro 1000m 2GB

Update coming up.

Just got 2 nuc's in that will function as a ESX HA cluster to run my DC's and my vcenter server.

Also pulled some OM3 fiber to my room and ordered a mikrotik CRS210-8G-2S+IN so that I can have a 10g link to my room and workstation.

The switch and transceivers should arrive tomorrow.

Untitled.png

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Update coming up.

Just got 2 nuc's in that will function as a ESX HA cluster to run my DC's and my vcenter server.

Also pulled some OM3 fiber to my room and ordered a mikrotik CRS210-8G-2S+IN so that I can have a 10g link to my room and workstation.

The switch and transceivers should arrive tomorrow.

Loving that EdgeRouter :D

Here is a rough layout of the network here. Not exactly fancy and no redundancy to speak of but it works.

The Modem/Access point and the second access point are both Asus DSL-N55U models usind WDS to provide a 2.4GHz network which covers the whole house. It is far from perfect but it does what it needs to do. I Haven't the money to go investing in dedicated APs as much as I would like to. The main AP/Modem is in the hall and the other is in the conserveratory come greenhouse come lean to come I don't know what. It is wired from the switch in my bedroom for the time being.

Even though network transfers rarely happen I went gigabit a while ago as I was told to expect FTTH availability and although that was some time ago it does make using the NAS a lot easier.

On the wireless network we have the usual iDevices and a smart TV in the lounge. I didn't model the wireless devices as it would get silly. The MacBook Air in my room is wired in as it rarely moves from it's table and the wireless speed up here isn't much to shout about. It varies from device to device but the 360 itself can barely hold the wireless signal hence everything in my room being wired.

Anyway if anyone has any questions let me know..

post-218813-0-73380300-1448294800.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Network Layout
Made with NMAP for the network layout

post-291406-0-10164800-1449378120.png
192.168.1.1 MODEM FROM ISP GOES TO 192.168.1.9 WHICH IS A SWITCH THAT THEN GOES TO 10.0.0.50 FOR PFSENSE FIREWALL/GATEWAY 10.0.0.1 IS MY WIRELESS AP 10.0.0.40/Windows Server 2012r2 DataCenter Edition FOR DNS AND ACTIVE DIRECTORY FOR CORPORATE NETWORK.
EVERY THING IS SEGMENTED BY VLANS PROXYS AND A CAPTIVE PORTAL WE ALSO PROVIDE LOCAL NETWORK ONLY WEB HOSTING SERVICES FOR CORPORATE FUNCTIONS PXE SERVER ACTIVE DIRECTORY AND HYPER-V.
Any questions feel free to ask.

post-291406-0-10164800-1449378120.png

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best network setup, but works with what I have. In the future, I look to upgrade everything to wired once I have to go ahead to drill holes in the building. I also look to upgrade my wiring to a minimum of CAT6.

post-294827-0-64366400-1450517646_thumb.

EDIT:

I have modified my layout to now include LACP NAS server redundancy. This idea was taken from Linus from his video https://youtu.be/GHKRcSYPwPE?t=2m4s. I had a second NIC sitting in there doing nothing and now it is being used. :) Thanks Linus for providing a graphic. The LACP was implemented and tested. Works great. I need this for when I go to Japan so that I don't have any downtime.

post-294827-0-52950200-1450808980.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The image was quite large so I made it into a spoiler.. Hope it works. :/

The network latency is identical across all 3 Access points whether it's wifi or direct connection (I'm including Main Router) 18-20 Ping with zero packet loss. 

I have charter spectrum internet and love it. Rarely have issues or outages (after I bought my own modem).. And when I do it's usually something I did.. xD

The Ones with multi channels are 2.4Ghz and 5G wifi channels.

I used cat6 standard rj45 connectors on everything except the one between the modem to main router. I used a crossover cable for that as a patch cable seemed to have given it a higher latency between 25 - 33...

Thinking about adding a PFsense firewall... But Merlin is running a custom/modded firewall I whipped up + DD-wrt Access point is also running a modded version of DD-wrt firewall... And that netgear crappy one is disabled for firewall cuss uhh; yeah just cuss....

The phone line is running the old standard 4 strand copper line I forget what that stuff is called...

We also have 7? TV's in our home but I really didn't want to map out the Coax lines and all cable boxes/splitters...

http://www.pingtest.net/result/136731528.png       <(Update Added Ping test)

-SNIP-

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm... too complicated,don't understand a thing,if you want you can explain it to me  :D lel

Ok so it goes like this; 

(Modem)

|

(Asus router running Merlin firmware)

Port 1- Windows XP computer

Port 2        | --- Goes directly to the garage connects to a netgear router running DD-wrt (firmware) And then thier is a 15 port networking HUB connected to that router.

Port3   |---- Goes directly to the back side of the house connecting to a 5 Port networking HUB for consoles and a windows vista PC. There's also a netgear router connected to that HUB.

Port 4        |-----------The last port on the main router connects directly to my windows 10 PC. 

The asus router has gig ports and the modem/my PC are the only 2 devices that support that link speed. Everything else only supports 100MB connections. Except the netgear router that's in with the consoles only gets about 55MB over wifi because well it's just a crappy router with a dinky antenna and other devices may or may not be eating up the bandwidth in that particular section of the house..

Hopefully that clears up any misunderstandings.. 

Well I guess technically it's a switch. But i'm just used to calling them both networking hub's; maybe it's because a true HUB is really only used for special circumstances these days. I mean yeah true hub's were cheaper than switches back in the day, but with switches being so cheap now there's really no point in not getting a switch. Like I said unless you really need a HUB for special circumstances..

Well I guess technically it's a switch. But i'm just used to calling them both networking hub's; maybe it's because a true HUB is really only used for special circumstances these days. I mean yeah true hub's were cheaper than switches back in the day, but with switches being so cheap now there's really no point in not getting a switch. Like I said unless you really need a HUB for special circumstances..

No-one needs a hub :) Normally you can't even buy them anymore.

Well I thought I had a pretty interesting setup until I visited this thread.  Still think my setup is worth a share at least.  Not really sure where I can make improvements at this point.

Everything that is connected via Ethernet (the non-dashed lines) is full gigabit, of course with the exception being the connection to my ISP.

qbLEjDY.jpg

I know, double NAT... It's worked fine for the last year or so, so I've seen no reason to change it until I get 250/125 Mbps fibre in a few weeks and the N600 is going and Smoothie's red interface is going straight into the ONT.

Dotted black = 100Mbps copper

Solid black = Gigabit copper

Blue = 4x 1Gbps link aggregated

Red = Gigabit fibre

post-73198-0-51156400-1452360146_thumb.p

In terms of IP addressing, the main network is on 192.168.0.1/23 with servers, switches, APs etc. being on 1.x and PCs, phones, tablets etc. being on 0.x.

There's also an experimental guest network on 10.0.0.1/24 and the N600>Smoothie network is on 172.16.0.1/24.

Network.PNG

I plan on replacing the Spark Digital Supplied VDSL Modem at some point in the future.
Due to the stellar wireless performance I purchased two APs and disabled the built in wifi to save it!  ;) 
As well as the 100mbit switches to gigabit.

The Hyper-V host domain controller has only been used so far for furthering my understanding of Domain Networks and as a practice lab.

Usually it is left off. The Hyper-V host itself is run in Core mode so NO fancy smancy GUI stuff there! - and in some ways I like it like that!
The two access points are at either ends of the house as we have some weird deadzones. One is inside on a rooms ceiling while the other in the roof cavity.
Finally as a side addition, I have a VPS which currently this network image is hosted and has my own badly made website to serve as my CV of sorts!

A little bit about my computer devices.

The Hyper-V Host was a recently Purchased i7 6700 non k with 16GB of ram. ITX form factor with 6 sata ports for modest storage capacity.
The original plan is for it to be a media server/storage/whatever device and that the system had to be less power hungry than my main rig which was originally running the plex role. Hence the 65w skylake non K Overkill for a media server but the plan was to allow for 4 1080P transcodes which is an extreme situation.

The Main Rig was a 4770K with 16GB 1866Mhz Ram and 2 R9 290 non x's Windforce OC. Which these have since been sold and helped pay for a new Gigabyte 980ti G1. 

The two machines live in the same "case" which is the HAF Stacker. The VM Host lives in the ITX portion while the Main lives in the top larger part.

The Surface Pro 3 is my old laptop replacer (for an i7 740QM 8GB ram) and so far I have been loving the portability and battery life when compared to the old 1st gen i7 laptop I had. This particular purchase was done during the new year sale trying to push the pro 3's out in favor for the 4's.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my work network: Aside from some older existing infrastructure, most of which I've rebuild over the past couple of years.

We've got three buildings.

2WhdJCM.png

This is our rack in the office:
3Tci6Ke.jpg

Top to bottom:
- UPS

- PFSense box

- SG300-28P
- SG100-24

-(right: CradlePoint AER2100)

- Lenovo TD230, redundant AD domain controller and backup target server

- Lenovo RD630, hyper-v hypervisor, 48GB of ram, 8x300GB 2.5 10krpm Lenovo branded Seagate Sas drives, 8x640GB 7.2krpm Sata 2.5 WD blacks, two raid controller cards.
left, AC, flex conduit going to our production building.

I only have about 6 VMS in hyper-v.

domain controller, our main storage server (8x640gb drives in raid 10.  looking back at it, i should have made it raid 60. but oh well too late now.), elastix server as backup for sending faxes over ip only.
as well as some other VMs i won't mention here.

Production building Demarc. wall:
r3kXPbI.jpg
top to bottom:
- left, shaw cable demarc.  middle: shaw cable modem, ip phone hacked for PA use (speakerphone connected directly to PA amplifier (littl gray box to right))
- left, cisco SG300-28PP, right: cisco UC540 router and iphone system i've installed. i regred going with UC540. do not buy it.
- UPS 1000G

in the same building we have a fiber media converter, with fiber going underground to our 3rd building:
indXbFt.jpg

This is something that was inherited from the previous owner of this lot. (Telus used to have one of its offices where they sent technicians out of.).
- fiber cable has multiple fibers in it as you can see on the left. but only 2 are being used.

- the media converter is old, duplexer limited to 10mbit :(

csqGqrA.jpg

Third building, has the same box as above and same duplexer media converter, also has this we've inherited, but unfortunately it would cost too much for us to have it connected, (yes I am crying on the inside)
r5VEqTs.jpg

I have a mini-network under my desk:
33SeKW6.jpg

reason being, my machine is a E32 workstation with i7-4770, 16GB ram, 240gb ssd for OS and 2x1tb drives, two network adapters, and nvidia k2000 2gb GPU

win10 pro.
I run hyper-v with clonezilla DRBL server.
The left monitor on my desk is for imaging computers. for now I just have a 4port kvm.

We've been planning to deploy the CradlePoint AER2100 as our edge router with LTE failover only for out ip phones. (we have no POTS left here)
but I came to hate CradlePoint device and the company. hate is a bit of a strong word here, but every other feature in the firmware is "licensable" meaning you need a separate subscription for additional routing protocols, separate for better security, and separate subscription for warranty (yes device comes with 0 warranty), separate subscription for cloud management. Customer service is absurd, and really bad. Their cloud subscription covers 10 devices, but they do not tell you this, and I found this out by accident when I was exploring it after the fact. they've sweet talked us and got us excited with the 4g lte failover and how amazing the device is. anyway. disclaimer: CradlePoint hardware really is great. But seems like they cater to big enterprises with many micro branches and or kiosks. But not a good choice for single entity small business. Routing features are fairly limited.
So. I've decided to use PFSense for our edge, and it will be connected to Cradlepoint for failover. I just haven't done the switch yet.

UC540, is 100Mbit. and is quite a bottleneck in our network. Thanks to ARP tables on the switches, most of our workstation to server communication doesn't even touch the router. But everything else, and the internet traffic is bottlenecked.
We pay for 50mbit. UC540 bottlenecks it down to 30mbps at absolute best.

PFsense on that old dell (what u see in pic is what it is, it has not been modified or upgraded, other than using old 60gb ssd for pfsense image).
anyway PF sense on that dell gives me full 50+ mbit path to shaw.

CurrentHomeNetwork2.png

Yeah, not much.

Edit: We now get 4mbps down and 0.1mbps up

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

58 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

-snip-

Recommendation, after having just had a 2 hour power outage - make UPS arrangements for an AP with the minimal amount of hardware required (basically, connect an AP to your UPS along with the PFSense router and modem)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: